New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: The old "DS9 stole from B5" thing

Tosk wrote: View Post
JMS posts a quote from a guy on the internet who says he was told by an unnamed person that DS9 ripped off B5. Sounds watertight!

Apart from that, it's been 20 years. Do you think people will ever just let it go?
The Internet has enabled combatants in fandom holy wars to petrify their hatred and relive it over and over! Bless the miracles of modern technology.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I could have sworn I saw a Minbari on the promenade.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Sean_McCormick
Captain

As a big fan of both shows i find this subject fascinating purely from an intellectual point of view. I really hope, that this could be discussed in a rational and friendly manner without any wars, holy or otherwise.

IMHO there is a good chance, that the creators of DS9 took heavy inspiration from jms's pitch of B5. Similarities in early DS9 and B5 go far beyond "set on a space station" and " leader is a commander". There is an long occupation that has ended, with the occupied peoples' hatred agains the former occupation force, which is an crumbling empire longing for past greatness, and a deeply spiritual race, in whos religion the human commander is a messiah-like figure.

Also, from the DS9 DVD extras i learned, that initially the DS9 station was to be millenia old with the original builders long forgotten, which immedeatly left me wondering, if this was to be setup for an "great machine" plotline.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Avon
Fleet Captain

other than spacestations, a big war and the name dukat, i dont see much in common.

about as close an arguement is 'b5 stole being in space, aliens and the good guys having uniforms from space:1999!'

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Ah, the internet. "The evidence isn't what I want to hear, therefore the poster is full of shit and not who he says he is!"
1. Some random claims are not evidence.

2. It's the original posters responsibility to present evidence, not ours to disprove his claims.

3. Because you brought the story here and seem to defend the guy, the burden of proof shifted to you.

At least explain to me what parts of The Gathering were reused for The Emissary, if you can't do that this thread is done, there's nothing to talk about, it's the same old story I've heard for years and there's still zero evidence that any of it is true.
Oh is THAT how this is supposed to work?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:41 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
As a big fan of both shows i find this subject fascinating purely from an intellectual point of view. I really hope, that this could be discussed in a rational and friendly manner without any wars, holy or otherwise.
That was my intent, and that's always my hope.
Doesn't seem to be going well.
People let their anger take over.
Old February 22 2013, 05:42 PM   #22
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

What "anger" has there been in this thread? Seems to me it's you who is getting extremely defensive at the mere suggestion that the "evidence" you posted has little or no basis in fact.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:44 PM   #23
Pingfah
Admiral

It is perfectly valid to question the authenticity of the claim. I don't know why people acting rationally would irritate you so much.
Old February 22 2013, 05:52 PM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

The way I see it you have those that

a.>like both
b.>like DSN and don't like B5
c.>like B5 and don't like DSN

If you like both great, if you like one or the other great. But do we really need to have the whole DSN stole from B5 etc... debate again. It's old and I suspect not many people really care.

TV shows have been borrowing from one another since as long as TV was around.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:23 PM   #25
JoeD80
Captain

I think Hopstaken's timeline is a little off. Babylon 5 was already in its first season when the Chris-Craft stations decided to pull out of PTEN and form the core of UPN.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:31 PM   #26
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

By the time he's done with Enterprise on Blu ray, I'll be expecting a suitably dishy documentary on the development of Deep Space Nine from Robert Meyer Burnett.

I'll imagine they'll be lawyers standing over him in the editing suite!
Old February 22 2013, 06:37 PM   #27
Forbin
Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
What "anger" has there been in this thread? Seems to me it's you who is getting extremely defensive at the mere suggestion that the "evidence" you posted has little or no basis in fact.
Pingfah wrote: View Post

It is perfectly valid to question the authenticity of the claim. I don't know why people acting rationally would irritate you so much.
Are you guys just making stuff up now in some effort to belittle to topic? I'm neither defensive nor irritated. I'm observing and occasionally commenting.
Old February 22 2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Avon
Fleet Captain

but its about as reliable a source as seeing someone commenting under the name 'rick berman' and saying voyager's 8472 liquid space was an attempt to turn the show into SeaQuest.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Servo
Rear Admiral

I didn't give a shit then, and I don't give a shit now. And yeah, some random blog post from some unverified guy is no proof anyway.
Old February 22 2013, 07:27 PM   #30
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Oh is THAT how this is supposed to work?
Uh ... yes, that's how it's supposed to work.

But you already know that, this is just a lame attempt to evade answering a simple question, what parts of the Babylon 5 pilot script were copied by Paramount?
I'm making this really easy for you, I'm not even asking for evidence, just a simple list of what was reused.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote