TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2013, 01:08 PM   #631
Stephen!
Captain

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

"To Catch a Jedi" second preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jfV3F1vGYY
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 04:05 PM   #632
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

My head's still spinning at CorporalCaptain's analysis.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 04:14 PM   #633
Christopher
Writer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The general trend is evident. Generally speaking, as movie release date increases, the word Jedi is used more and more without the word Knight accompanying it. The final ratio for ROTS is roughly two orders of magnitude higher than that for ANH.

This probably isn't exactly what Christopher was asking about, but this is something objective that we can put a handle on, that I think is a step towards answering his question.
Actually that's pretty much exactly what I was asking about. Thanks for making the effort.

It's not a linear trend, though; "Jedi Knight" seems to have been used a lot more in TPM than in any other film except ANH. Still, it does seem to be a less common usage than it was when SW first began.

I imagine it would be prohibitively difficult to factor The Clone Wars into such an analysis, though.

So if "Knight" is the rank between Padawan and Master, what characters are there in the Clone Wars era who actually hold that rank? I'd think that Anakin would be a Knight, because he graduated from Padawan sometime after AOTC, yet Ahsoka calls him Master. I assume that's "Master" in the sense of a master/apprentice relationship, so a Padawan might call him that even if his actual rank is Knight rather than Master, though it's confusing. (No more so than "captain" in the Navy, though.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:53 PM   #634
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

JD wrote: View Post
Didn't Luke say he was a Jedi, like his father before him, not a Jedi Knight?
Yes, he did.

Also, the film was called Return of the Jedi, not Return of the Jedi Knights.
Actually in Germany it was: Rückkehr der Jedi Ritter
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 11:35 PM   #635
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The general trend is evident. Generally speaking, as movie release date increases, the word Jedi is used more and more without the word Knight accompanying it. The final ratio for ROTS is roughly two orders of magnitude higher than that for ANH.

This probably isn't exactly what Christopher was asking about, but this is something objective that we can put a handle on, that I think is a step towards answering his question.
Actually that's pretty much exactly what I was asking about. Thanks for making the effort.
Appreciated. The actual inspiration took about a millisecond, and the execution of the commands took just a few minutes. Far more involved was typing up the explanatory text.

I imagine it would be prohibitively difficult to factor The Clone Wars into such an analysis, though.
One main set of difficulties is in locating a complete set of accurate transcripts online, that are in a format that's preferably both uniform across all episodes and suitable for straightforwardly performing the separation described in the next paragraph, and downloading them efficiently and so preferably under program control.

In order to efficiently and reliably separate the extraneous text from the dialog, chiefly the directions and other metadata, a next set of difficulties involves accomplishing that separation programmatically.

Having accomplished all that, overcoming the limitations of grep would be—relatively speaking—straightforward and just a token bit of extra effort.

So, yeah, all that's just too much work, especially if in the end it would only shed just a little additional light on this single issue.

So if "Knight" is the rank between Padawan and Master, what characters are there in the Clone Wars era who actually hold that rank? I'd think that Anakin would be a Knight
Yeah. Remember in ROTS, Anakin was incensed that he wasn't promoted to the rank of Master when he was put on the Jedi Council.
it's confusing
Yep!

---

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Actually in Germany it was: Rückkehr der Jedi Ritter
Ah, thanks! So a literal translation of that is Return of the Jedi Knights, then. Neat!
Old February 23 2013, 12:33 AM   #636
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Anakin's actual rank is Jedi Knight, just as Obi-Wan's was in "Attack of the Clones" and yes even though he has the rank of "Knight" he is referred to as "Master" due to the nature of their mentor/student relationship. Obi-Wan seems to have been promoted to the rank of "Master" in between AOTC and ROTS and was assigned a seat on the Council. Only Jedi Masters can sit on the Council, which is why Anakin was upset about that.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:25 PM   #637
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

So if "Knight" is the rank between Padawan and Master, what characters are there in the Clone Wars era who actually hold that rank? I'd think that Anakin would be a Knight
Yeah. Remember in ROTS, Anakin was incensed that he wasn't promoted to the rank of Master when he was put on the Jedi Council.
If only someone had already mentioned that...
Old February 23 2013, 04:54 PM   #638
Christopher
Writer

I liked the "don't hurt anybody" fight with Ahsoka and Ventress against the troopers. You don't usually see pure hand-to-hand action on this show; it's either energy weapons or Force pushes. So this was a nice bit of variety in the action choreography.

I'm afraid it's pretty obvious now that Bariss Offee is the traitor. She's the one who sent Ahsoka to that warehouse, the only one who knew she'd be there; and she was pretty evasive about where she got the information. The Expanded Universe has established her still being with the Jedi up through the events of Episode III, so I guess this is more evidence that the EU is not so canonical after all.

I'm kind of hoping this will end with Ahsoka alive but permanently leaving the Jedi. That would explain her absence in ROTS without requiring her to die like everyone expects.

Old February 23 2013, 05:12 PM   #639
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I'd be funny if the twist really was that Padme had done it because she wanted to keep jailbait Ashoka away from her husband.Really good episode once again. I always love when it's set on Coruscant because the work the animators do there is consistently amazing. I also enjoyed the return of Ventress, who is such a fun character.

Last edited by DarthPipes; February 23 2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: mistake made
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 07:45 PM   #640
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I liked the "don't hurt anybody" fight with Ahsoka and Ventress against the troopers.
Which retroactively turned into "don't kill anybody" after it was over, because I think they did hurt somebody.

You don't usually see pure hand-to-hand action on this show
I've missed quite a few episodes over the last couple seasons, but I've seen a lot of it recently, most notably in last season's Bounty. And I think there was a lot of it in Wookiee Hunt.

The Expanded Universe has established her still being with the Jedi up through the events of Episode III, so I guess this is more evidence that the EU is not so canonical after all.
"Luckily" she didn't make it onto the screen in ROTS, but she was in the script.
Old February 23 2013, 07:52 PM   #641
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

My favorite adventuress, er, Asaaj Ventress helps to liven things up. Those Coruscant security forces are surprisingly competent and effective. I gotta agree with the visuals, some parts of this I think are genuinely feature quality.

I'm kind of hoping this will end with Ahsoka alive but permanently leaving the Jedi. That would explain her absence in ROTS without requiring her to die like everyone expects.
I know you hate the supposed predictability of that action but Anakin's characterization in ROTS already seems off (to me at least) now after watching him in Clone Wars. I don't know if the narrative of ROTS is so precious as to not want to rock the boat.
Old February 23 2013, 07:59 PM   #642
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Those Coruscant security forces are surprisingly competent and effective.
Took them long enough to think of firing off a stun blast. Come on, guys, you're not fighting Batman. Those guns are for shooting!
Old February 23 2013, 10:09 PM   #643
billcosby
Commodore

I'm afraid it's pretty obvious now that Bariss Offee is the traitor.
Of course! That must be it. I was trying to figure it all out... the mystery person who knocked out Ventress and took her blades. It looked like a Clone Wars style adult female body shape. I was thinking it was Aurra Sing but that's too random and out of the story.

Mistaken identity and deception, very Hitchcock-esque.

I'm kind of hoping that if this arc is Ahsoka leaving the Jedi order that she joins forces with Ventress. I really liked the dynamic of them together. Ahsoka's rationalization that they have a lot in common is spot on, especially if Ahsoka is unable to clear her name (and Ventress) because of the council's unwillingness to trust her again.

We know that Ventress will be in the finale since they included the set-up that Baris-as-Ventress attacks Ahsoka and leads to her being captured. Maybe Ventress busts her out and they go on their way together and that's the season 5 finale?

Are Ahsoka and Anakin are going to be pitted against each other throughout season 6? The final look he gives her at the end... it might serve to explain a la retcon whatever 'disconnect' Anakin has towards Ahsoka during ROTS.
Golly those new Clone Transports are teh sexy!1. Lego, please. Those great red windscreens and TIE style wings... very cool!

billcosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 10:15 PM   #644
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It will be interesting to see if next week ends with restoring the status quo or if they do something like has been mentioned.
Old February 23 2013, 10:16 PM   #645
Christopher
Writer

Speaking of character designs and shapes... their attempt to conceal Ventress's identity behind the helmet didn't work for me at all, because I recognized the shape of her head right away. Of course, I had heard that Ventress would be in the episode, but I didn't remember that until I saw the helmet with that distinctive shape.