Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 21 2013, 02:56 PM   #46
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TNG re-released on DVD

I've been the same resistant until about a year ago.
Then a Sony BD-Player crossed my way at one electronic market around the same price than a DVD player and I gave it a try and bought 3 BDs along with it. As it could play DVDs as well (as ALL BD players do!) - what could I loose?

Watching these Blu-rays and now STNG on BD for the first time i felt like being a person with about 7 or 8 diopters and never put on the fitting glasses before, telling to himself "well, the world looks quite alright like that, what do i need details for.." How silly.

I could still kick myself about how PLAIN STUPID I've been not to use BDs all that time before..

How someone can even think about buying TNG on DVD NOW, at almost the same price than it's beeing released now on BD as well, is sooo beyond me.
It's like spending money for used toilet paper, justifying that with "it's still usable somehow"..
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 03:21 PM   #47
DJ Mike
Ensign

heavy lids wrote: View Post
I've just never been one those people that always has the latest technology or entertainment. I got an XBOX 360 for the first time a year ago, I don't have a smart phone or a phone that does anything more than call or text, and a majority of my movies are VHS. However, I do have a decent 32" HD TV. I only have that because it was free.
And you're not alone in that - there are a lot of people who, for whatever reason, simply won't upgrade to Blu-ray right now, but might still be interested in remastered TNG. Now would seem to be the best possible time to release it. I guess authoring new discs would still be a not-insignificant investment though, so maybe CBS don't think the numbers add up.

Last edited by DJ Mike; February 21 2013 at 04:40 PM.
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 03:37 PM   #48
Mutai Sho-Rin

I'm kind of in line with Heavy Lids here. Although I do have the gear - 60" HDTV and BluRay player, I'm much more interested in the story and the performances than the relative perfection of the picture. I AM buying the TNG BluRay sets, primarily because I only have season 5 on DVD. Interestingly enough, our watching Season 1 has been interrupted by the arrival of The West Wing on streaming Netflix. It is a show I have wanted to get into since it first aired and now we have the chance. TNG will wait.
Old February 21 2013, 03:49 PM   #49
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

TNG on DVD at this point needs to be the remastered version. Film quality on DVD versus NTSC video quality on DVD...

Oh. I get it. Paramount need to remind people how shit the DVDs are so that they'll buy Blu-ray. Decent quality image on DVD will just delay that...

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:32 PM   #50
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

I'm not hesitant to new technology, I'm just not interested in having the "best" quality of entertainment, always. I don't enjoy remastered TOS on blu-ray any more than I enjoy TOS on VHS.

If I had free money laying around, then I'd probably buy a blu-ray player. But, I don't.
This is like saying I don't wear the latest glasses after my latest eye exam because I'm not interested in seeing things clearly or how they were meant to be. Electrocution for you.

RAMA
That doesn't really make sense. For one, if I need a new prescription of eye glasses, that's a need and not a want. And if I don't get my new prescription that could have serious consequences. Two, watching remastered TOS or TNG doesn't in any way enchance my experience. I've been watching Trek all these years without HD or blu-ray and I've managed just fine. It's cool watching them and noticing the differences, but I could care less. LIKE I SAID, if I had the money I would buy blu-ray, but I'm a poor culinary student. If I deserve electrocution because I'm happy watching Trek on VHS, so be it.

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek last night obviously, but still...it's not a question of "need" but if you are a ST fan, and there is is an inferior product they you are likely to be desirous of anyway, why not go for the multi-million dollar restoration?? There's a reason they are going back and re-compositing FX at great effort, this is no miminal afterthought, this is a huge undertaking. For another $20-30 you can get the episodes as they were meant to be seen, from the original film with double the resolution of DVD.

Now if you even mention watching them on VHS...even electrocution isn't enough, we'd have to tie you down and make you watch Voyager's Threshold or STV over and over again.

Well at least the covers are cool.

RAMA
Old February 21 2013, 04:37 PM   #51
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

...or STV over and over again.
But, but... I love STV... and it looks pretty good on BD.
Old February 21 2013, 04:47 PM   #52
Jeyl
Commodore

Wish there was more color variation. Maybe give Data a green color and Troi a blue color.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 04:56 PM   #53
RAMA
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
...or STV over and over again.
But, but... I love STV... and it looks pretty good on BD.
Then all hope is lost.
Old February 21 2013, 05:36 PM   #54
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I wish I still had my TWOK VHS tape, but that died a long time ago from being played too much. I like the takes that they used on the VHS (the original theatrical edition takes) better than the ones selected for the DVD. I'll never get rid of my TOS DVD's nor my Star Wars OT original theatrical edition DVD's.
Old February 21 2013, 07:03 PM   #55
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I wish I still had my TWOK VHS tape, but that died a long time ago from being played too much. I like the takes that they used on the VHS (the original theatrical edition takes) better than the ones selected for the DVD. I'll never get rid of my TOS DVD's nor my Star Wars OT original theatrical edition DVD's.
To my knowledge, the only release in which some of the theatrical takes have been changed is on the 2 disc Director's Cut DVD. All other home video versions contain the original theatrical cut - including the Blu-ray. I'm with you, I MUCH prefer the theatrical version of TWOK and was gratified it was used for the BD.
Old February 21 2013, 07:19 PM   #56
Lance
Fleet Captain

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
How someone can even think about buying TNG on DVD NOW, at almost the same price than it's beeing released now on BD as well, is sooo beyond me.
I think this is the thing that surprises me. I'm not snobbish about how other fans want to enjoy their Trek. But it just makes no sense to me that they'd re-release these, for the third time on DVD, at this price point. I'd understand if these were budget releases, but they just seem to be the same thing in different packaging (including price). Just a really odd time to re-release them...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 07:38 PM   #57
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
I'm kind of in line with Heavy Lids here. Although I do have the gear - 60" HDTV and BluRay player, I'm much more interested in the story and the performances than the relative perfection of the picture. I AM buying the TNG BluRay sets, primarily because I only have season 5 on DVD. Interestingly enough, our watching Season 1 has been interrupted by the arrival of The West Wing on streaming Netflix. It is a show I have wanted to get into since it first aired and now we have the chance. TNG will wait.
I understand this, but I would think when you know it was presented in a format that was expedient instead of optimal and it had the capacity originally to be seen better than that, you'd want to see the superior version.

RAMA
Old February 21 2013, 08:29 PM   #58
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
To my knowledge, the only release in which some of the theatrical takes have been changed is on the 2 disc Director's Cut DVD. All other home video versions contain the original theatrical cut - including the Blu-ray. I'm with you, I MUCH prefer the theatrical version of TWOK and was gratified it was used for the BD.
Ah, thanks for the clarification! I do have the director's cut DVD. I just really hate to lose copies of versions that I like. That's not enough motivation for me personally to buy these TNG DVD's, but I can certainly appreciate that some people might not want to throw away DVD's they already have just because Blu-rays come out.
Old February 21 2013, 11:15 PM   #59
Mott the barber
Commodore

There just really isn't any justification to buy these. The Remastered sets' prices are in the same ballpark give or take 25 bucks (the extras alone are 10x better than the DVD extras), Blu-Ray players are as cheap as 30 bucks (just google it), and the quality is night and day.

If you're a Trek fan, you owe it to yourself to take the (cheap) plunge for the major upgrade in quality if you haven't already done so.
Old February 22 2013, 06:26 AM   #60
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Then all hope is lost.
I want my pain! I...need my...pain!
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote