Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 18 2013, 09:48 PM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does season 4 of enterprise have closure like DS9's finale had?

I'm just defending ENT from the idea that not having a DS9 style finale lessened it. I like a good finale as much as anyone but I don't think a Trek series needs one to be great.. it's not like Lost or other conspiracy shows where you are pumped into wanting answers. It's just a pretty wrap up for the most part. To me the best part of DS9's finale was that it left Sisko's fate open ended.

And I would have loved a 5th season, reading the descriptions is almost painful because it would have been quite excellent.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 11:16 PM   #17
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

As someone who believes one of the main goals of a series finale should be to give the audience an idea of where the characters are going (per Lost, I don't necessarily care about questions being answered if the finale handles other things well), I think ENT was lessened by the lack thereof.

To be fair I haven't seen ENT in forever, so I might consider Terra Prime/Demons a reasonable attempt at such.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Demons/TP was a solid season finale, but it doesn't offer any kind of closure for the characters, really. And TATV... TATV completely disregards everything that happened in Season 4, ignores every single bit of character development and feels so much out of place, it's jarring.

VOY's "Endgame" falls short too. After seven years of rooting for the heroes to return home, you don't actually get to see them do it.
Old February 19 2013, 12:14 AM   #19
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm just defending ENT from the idea that not having a DS9 style finale lessened it. I like a good finale as much as anyone but I don't think a Trek series needs one to be great.. it's not like Lost or other conspiracy shows where you are pumped into wanting answers. It's just a pretty wrap up for the most part. To me the best part of DS9's finale was that it left Sisko's fate open ended.

And I would have loved a 5th season, reading the descriptions is almost painful because it would have been quite excellent.
That's cool. Also there are only two ways to get that DS9 level of closure really. The previous shows and movies set in the 23rd & 24th Centuries for the politics of Federation and various non-allied worlds. For the characters, the Pocket Book novels which having done the Romulan War, are now moving onto setting up more of what we might've seen, had they gone beyond 2161 and what the NX-01 crew move onto, career-wise.

Probably very unlikely ENT will get another mention in the JJ Abrams pictures, but you never know. They got away Scott-free with that throwaway line about Admiral Archer's prized beagle

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 19 2013 at 01:02 AM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 12:59 AM   #20
teacake
Admiral

I'm betting it will get a mention, subtle or otherwise. Maybe we'll just see an NX-01 model in the background on someones bookcase, but it will be there. I think the last movie showed a lot of attention to details.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 19 2013, 01:37 AM   #21
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Take TATV out of the equation, which I'm inclined to do (because it feels like it was written in isolation and utterly disconnected from the other 19 or so episodes before it) and there's no closure.
I don't need closure since I know what happens in the 24 seasons of Star Trek that follow it.
Same here.

And what exactly is a "proper finale" anyway?? TOS ended without one in 1969 after all.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 01:43 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Oh I don't know, I think Kirk turning into a woman was its own kind of closure.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 19 2013, 04:48 AM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Ouch.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 05:49 AM   #24
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Oh I don't know, I think Kirk turning into a woman was its own kind of closure.

RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 03:34 PM   #25
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Ending on "Terra Prime" is the best piece of advice I could give anyone. ENT was just starting to find its feet and when it was cancelled, they go and give us "These Are The Voyages" to end with? Major step back.

If it had been a future episode (set in 2161) and just ignored the Riker and Troi stuff it could have been halfway decent.
Old February 26 2013, 12:25 AM   #26
Dale Sams
Captain

Bry, am I to take it that the Battlefield Earth aliens are a part of Star Trek Online canon?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 05:43 AM   #27
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Ending on "Terra Prime" is the best piece of advice I could give anyone. ENT was just starting to find its feet and when it was cancelled, they go and give us "These Are The Voyages" to end with? Major step back.

If it had been a future episode (set in 2161) and just ignored the Riker and Troi stuff it could have been halfway decent.
What were they thinking having Riker and Troi in the episode anyway? Watching TATV and Pegasus back to back is so disorienting. You can't help but conclude that Berman and Braga were high when they thought this lazy attempt would swing with fans. Valentine to the fans my ass. Why not set it post Nemesis? Instead of trying to ignore the fact the actors had aged 11 years since the tie-in episode it's connected to first aired. Maybe TATV is in an alternate universe where the ENT-D was never destroyed and the Pegasus story happened years later than it did in the prime timeline.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 05:46 AM   #28
Dream
Admiral

Even TNG fans hated TATV. That's how bad it was!
Old February 27 2013, 06:24 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

What were they thinking having Riker and Troi in the episode anyway? Watching TATV and Pegasus back to back is so disorienting. You can't help but conclude that Berman and Braga were high when they thought this lazy attempt would swing with fans. Valentine to the fans my ass. Why not set it post Nemesis? Instead of trying to ignore the fact the actors had aged 11 years since the tie-in episode it's connected to first aired. Maybe TATV is in an alternate universe where the ENT-D was never destroyed and the Pegasus story happened years later than it did in the prime timeline.
No no, there needed to be a TNG episode with a bloating disease that TATV is set during.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 27 2013, 11:19 AM   #30
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Whatever happened to Kirk's hands in the last movie was happening to Riker and Troi for the entire episode??