RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,672
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 500
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 20 2013, 02:04 AM   #1
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

In what capacity did Sisko/Curzon meet?

So we know that Curzon Dax was a Federation ambassador and that he and Ben met early in Sisko's Starfleet career. In what capacity would a diplomat and a military dude have regular contact? Does this suggest that Starfleet provides security to Federation diplomats? Or perhaps that some Starfleet ships/stations have attached ambassadorial staff?
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Re: In what capacity did Sisko/Curzon meet?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it was ever officially established.
Old February 20 2013, 03:07 AM   #3
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Surely some of the novels give details.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 03:12 AM   #4
Pavonis
Commodore

I don't think any of the novels cover that earliest period of Sisko's career.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 03:22 AM   #5
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
In what capacity would a diplomat and a military dude have regular contact? Does this suggest that Starfleet provides security to Federation diplomats?
Did Sisko ever serve in security? Now that I think about it, we really don't know too much about Sisko's past. Other than his father is a chef, his mother was a prophet and his wife died at Wolf 359.

But I think Ben serving as a guard to Curzon is plausible. Perhaps, a vessel that Sisko served on early in his career devoted a majority of its time to diplomatic relations and maybe they always had a diplomat, or diplomats on board.
Old February 20 2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Kind of in line with this question, did we ever see Curzon on screen as Curzon Dax? What I mean is, I know we never saw the real Curzon Dax in DS9 but was he in any of the other shows/movies?

I have a "history of the federation" book back at home and there is a painting of Curzon Dax with the Federation President from STIV: TVH (the older blad man with the white beard). I'm assuming that there was a character, perhaps an aide in the background or something in the movie, and Trekkies later said "Oh that was Curzon Dax" once the character was created.

Am I making any sense at all? LOL
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

We see Curzon in the orb vision Jadzia had in 'Emissary' when she first opens the case in the science lab.

And no, details about Sisko & Curzon's earliest meetin' hasn't been covered, not even in the books, though there was a "Lost Era" novel that came close (the one written by KRAD).

But, really, is it so hard to see how a meetin' could happen? A diplomat needs to get somewhere, a ship is sent to serve as a taxi, and the captain assigns some junior officer to deal with the diplomat, thus Ensign Sisko met Ambassador Dax. He did tell Jennifer that he was had just graduated & was on his way to his first shipboard assignment, if ya take his first orb vision at face value of their initial conversation.

And in DS9 'The Forsaken', Sisko does give Bashir a similar assignment, pointin' out that he once had to do the same thing.
Old February 20 2013, 10:38 AM   #8
MiKaTrek
Ensign

This question remembered me of a short story in the DS9 anthology "The Lives of Dax", which i read ten years ago, where a answer was given.

Here is a summary from Memory Beta: "Dax first met Starfleet officer Benjamin Sisko when the young cadet was assigned to him as attaché at Pelios Station in 2353. The two would form a close mentor/student relationship and Curzon would once describe Sisko as "The best friend I ever had." (DS9 - The Lives of Dax short story: "The Music Between the Notes")"
MiKaTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 12:30 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I always imagined that Sisko was a young engineer assigned to Curzon's team on some diplomatic mission and that it turned into an adventure that both made them friends and demonstrated that Sisko had command potential.
Old February 20 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I always envisioned that Curzon was partying it up in a Lounge, with a girl on each arm, and Sisko just happened to be in the same Lounge, and for some reason or other Ben had to sink his fist into the face of some obnoxious punk, which led to Curzon inviting Ben over for a drink

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

MiKaTrek wrote: View Post
This question remembered me of a short story in the DS9 anthology "The Lives of Dax", which i read ten years ago, where a answer was given.

Here is a summary from Memory Beta: "Dax first met Starfleet officer Benjamin Sisko when the young cadet was assigned to him as attaché at Pelios Station in 2353. The two would form a close mentor/student relationship and Curzon would once describe Sisko as "The best friend I ever had." (DS9 - The Lives of Dax short story: "The Music Between the Notes")"
Curzon was actually noted to be on Pelios Station in a deleted scene from "The Maquis".
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:06 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Why did they have to meet in an official capacity?

They probably met at a bar.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Worf'sParmach
Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Why did they have to meet in an official capacity?

They probably met at a bar.
I always figured it was something more casual than official. Curzon sees Ben try to pick up a girl at a bar and gives him some pointers or something like that.
Old February 22 2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Timo
Admiral

Indeed, "capacity" is probably too fancy a word for describing their meeting. "Incapacitated" might be more like it.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 11:34 PM   #15
Enterprise1981
Rear Admiral

View Enterprise1981's Twitter Profile

In what capacity would a diplomat and a military dude have regular contact? Does this suggest that Starfleet provides security to Federation diplomats?
Did Sisko ever serve in security? Now that I think about it, we really don't know too much about Sisko's past. Other than his father is a chef, his mother was a prophet and his wife died at Wolf 359.
That was never expressly indicated. I know of at least one of the novels indicating he was chief engineer of the Okinawa before being promoted to first officer, with a few episodes indicating his engineering experience. Maybe early in his post-Academy career, he was a "utility player" like Lieutenant Leslie on TOS and Worf and O'Brien in the first season of TNG.

The OP's hypothesis is certainly sound, especially with inconsistencies early on about whether or not Curzon was a Starfleet officer. For instance, Sisko mentioned they "served together on the Livingston". And when Bashir was assigned to show around a group of ambassadors, Sisko mentioned Curzon used to dump those assignments on him, and now has the privilege of doing the same to Bashir.