Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 17 2013, 07:45 PM   #196
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Will this be the first controller since the NES not to have a start or select button?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 09:42 PM   #197
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The best controller ever is the Genesis 6-button controller. That thing was perfect.

You turn. You pew-pew.
I used most of the ones in this "review":

Those alien and terminator joysticks are both incredibly stupid and awesome at the same time.

Anyone remember those early square analog joysicks with the two square buttons? The ones that looked like they were more designed to tune scientific instruments than play games? Those were the days...
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 11:18 PM   #198
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
I used most of the ones in this "review":
That was excellent. Never seen that guy before. He's like a nerdy Clarkson who looks like Simon Pegg.

I had to subscribe!
Old February 19 2013, 12:37 PM   #199
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

A little bit of news... Sony just dropped the PS Vita's price in Japan to ¥20,000 or $215. Hopefully, this will come to North America in the form of a $199 Vita.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 12:48 PM   #200
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You know, despite the success of the PS1 and PS2, I don't think Sony has any idea what they're doing. They only succeeded with the PS1 because Nintendo shot themselves in the foot going with cartridges on the N64 and Sega fired a BFG 9000 at themselves. And with the PS2 they had no competition. I think Sony just got damn lucky and doesn't know how to compete with equals. Think Rocky VI. I'm expecting Microsoft to win the upcoming generation.
I've been thinking about this comment and I have to strongly disagree. I think Sony blundered out of the gate with the PS3 with pricing, but since then, the PS3 has outsold the 360. This is evidenced in the almost equal marketshare and the 1 year headstart MSFT had.

Considering the free PSN vs the $60/yr. Xbox Live, the instant game collection of Playstation Plus, the purchase of Gaikai and the 12 wholly owned game development studios, I think Sony is very well positioned for the future when the console business is said and done.

We'll see what happens in Wednesday, but I'm pretty pumped.
Old February 20 2013, 07:08 AM   #201
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

IGN has some recent rumors (or at least as yet unconfirmed information) with potential features and price points: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...portedly-outed
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 06:39 PM   #202
Jax
Admiral

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
I've been thinking about this comment and I have to strongly disagree. I think Sony blundered out of the gate with the PS3 with pricing, but since then, the PS3 has outsold the 360. This is evidenced in the almost equal marketshare and the 1 year headstart MSFT had.
Sony recently announced they shipped more not sold more than 360 consoles though they will edge M/S by the end of this cycle. However despite Sony making a great comeback after a piss poor start they still sell less games on the PS3 and I bet XBox gains more revenue from XBL than Sony does from PSN. Sony had a huge marketshare in 2005 and they loss so much of it.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:13 PM   #203
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Agreed.MSFT is making a ton on XBL, no doubt because the PSN is free. Where Sony drops the ball is on marketing their games. Allowing COD to have a 30 day headstart on XBL is a bad move, IMHO. They have to do more to neutralize XBL's advantage in North America.

When I say PS3 outsold 360, I mean since its release in 2006. They have pretty much equal marketshare worldwide and the PS3 has been in the market for a year less than the 360.... and at all times, $100 more than the 360. A price drop and some marketing would do Somy wonders, but that's hard to do when the company is loosing so much money.

Today is te big day!! Spike TV will be airring the conference!
Old February 20 2013, 11:23 PM   #204
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Somebody wake me when it get to $299. Then I'll give a shit about it.
Old February 21 2013, 03:07 AM   #205
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Did anyone else watch the livestream? The PS4 is officially real. A powerful 8 core AMD x86 processor, 8GB of unified DDR5 RAM and a top of the line GPU. Considering the PS3 has 256 MB of RAM and another 256 RAM to GPU, that seems like a quantum leap.

No price point, no release date, no PS Vita price drop, and a lot of people seem annoyed that they didn't actually show the PS4 box.... and only 1 new IP.

Looks like Playstation Mobile will be available on a ton of devices... perhaps even iOS and Android.

Ubisoft's Watchdogs looks good. Killzone Shadow Fall looks like it was running at least 60 frames per second and inFAMOUS Second Son looks downright amazing. We didn't see anything from Naughty Dog, but Bungie came out and showed the Playstation some major love with exclusive content for the PS4. Pretty excited that Diablo III is coming to consoles, but bummed that there was no footage of it running on a PS3 or PS4.

All in all, it looks like it's going to be a great platform.

Last edited by AlphaMan; February 21 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old February 21 2013, 04:28 AM   #206
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Man, that was boring. I was hoping for a few "$599!!!!" or "RIDDDDDGE RACER" memes. There wasn't even a "Giant Enemy Crab" moment ...

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 05:13 AM   #207
billcosby
Commodore

I'm looking for a statement something like: "The Playstation 4 requires an online connection to use." If there's no physical media and no game discs to buy, Sony effectively will eliminate the second hand market, something the game industry is dying to do.

I'm enjoying this blog:
http://www.dpaddbags.com/blog/the-so...drinking-game/
Take a drink if the Playstation 4 requires an always-on internet connection.
Take two drinks if always-on DRM is described as a benefit to consumers.
Finish your drink if the crowd cheers that previous statement.

I'll have no part of a cloud based console. What the fuck is the point of that? I'll happily go back to PC gaming if the future of the console market is based around getting assfucked by game companies that are going to bully consumers into paying for their bullshit no-media software, reeking of senseless "social media" features. I'm paying for it = I want to hold it and put it on my shelf. Non-negotiable.

(From Wikipedia):

Announced titles

This is a list of games currently announced for the PlayStation 4.
Title Publisher/Developer
Deep Down
(working title)[11] Capcom
Destiny
[12] Bungie
Diablo III
[13] Blizzard Entertainment
Driveclub
[14] Evolution Studios
Final Fantasy
(TBA)[15] Square Enix
Infamous: Second Son
[16] Sucker Punch Productions
Killzone: Shadow Fall[17] Guerrilla Games
Knack
[18] SCE Japan Studio
Watch Dogs
[19] Ubisoft Montreal
The Witness
[20] Jonathan Blow

Last edited by billcosby; February 21 2013 at 06:20 AM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:08 AM   #208
Dream
Admiral

Why the hell would ANYONE play Diablo III on the PS4 which the game is infinitely better being played on a PC?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:18 AM   #209
billcosby
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
Why the hell would ANYONE play Diablo III on the PS4 which the game is infinitely better being played on a PC?
If you're saying that it's a game for a mouse/keyboard and not a console dual joystick layout, then I'm entirely in agreement.
I think Diablo III is more of a fit with the DMCA and always-online anti-piracy that makes it a launch title. THAT is the philosophy moving forward driving the gaming industry and it is why I will never accept it. The era of the gamer being in charge is over.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 07:03 AM   #210
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
To copy Nintendo without quite copying them?
Except Sony is just copying Nintendo anyways by allowing PS4 games to be streamed to a Vista. Why bother even something original.

On a different note.

And why would anyone want the PSN for free, it won't be free when the hackers steal your info.