Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 17 2013, 10:34 PM   #616
Qutluch
Commander

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

Displaced

Another opening with Tom and B’Elanna…we may have a relationship devolving!! While they are arguing an alien visitor appears in front of them, while they are trying to figure out how that happened they realize that Kes disappeared as soon as the alien appeared. After that a multitude of people began disappearing and appearing.

B’Elanna figures out that the aliens are not accidently switching places with the crew, and she is attacked and sent to the planet where the rest of the crew is. There is another species through a portal there too. It looks like the aliens take over ships for their own purposes, and put them in a holographic worlds similar to theirs…basically they are put into a “nice” prison. They use the Doctor to scan the biosphere to find a way out, while doing so they find ways to get from one spot to another, and they outsmart the aliens and take control of their technology. They send them to the cold biosphere where they will freeze to death. Turns out that they are on a ship and there are at least four separate biospheres where other races are also being held. Janeway takes over and returns the other imprisoned groups to their own planets, and puts VOY back on their way…it is unclear what happens to the aliens. Janeway makes a threat that they will leave them on a planet to their liking if they do not cooperate, but it is unclear if that is what happens.

There is fun interplay between B’Elanna and Paris in this episode. They get in a fight, work through it, and were (in my opinion) close to kissing on the planet when they were arguing, but they were transported out of the cold biosphere before they could. At the end when they are back on VOY in the holodeck I kind of wish B’Elanna would have reached over and either held or squeezed Paris’ hand. I like the ongoing B Story with B’Elanna and Paris. I cannot wait for them to get together (and if they don’t, I am going to be pissed)!

I like this episode for a couple of reasons, 1. I like the continued arc with the B story. 2. This episode showed their heavy reliance on the Doctor and I like that. I think he is an integral part of their crew and they do not admit to that enough. 3. This episode showed how well they get along and work together as a crew. 4. This episode had a positive interaction with the other species being held captive. I think many of the interactions with aliens ends up being negative, and I like it that they helped another race out. Plus, I found it funny that the other fellow loved what appeared to be a carrot!

Least favorite part: Kes was the first to disappear, but when they begin showing the other planet Kes did not play a large role. I would like to have seen her do more.
Old February 17 2013, 11:09 PM   #617
Alpha Flyer
Lieutenant Commander

View Alpha Flyer's Twitter Profile

My, you're busy today! Yes, a wonderful ep, one of my favourites (of course I am a Tom/B'Elanna fan). That whole B-plot, and the temperature theme it plays with, was wonderfully done.

The one thing that will never cease to bug me though is, after they shoot that Nyrian in the ice cave with the one shot they have, THEY DON'T PICK UP HIS $%^$# GUN!!!!

Humpf.

You are welcome to check out my fanfic at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2537553/Alpha_Flyer
Alpha Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 11:30 PM   #618
Qutluch
Commander

Great point, they were trained better than that...maybe it was hypotherma kicking in...
Old February 18 2013, 12:35 AM   #619
Qutluch
Commander

Worst Case Scenario

Chakotay brought up the Marquis (it has been so long since they had a mention, I forgot how to spell it and had to look it up). I immediately raised an eyebrow. Chakotay asked B’Elanna which side she would be on when the shooting started…yeah, I am not falling for it. Something “off” is going on! To start with, Chakotay is too smart to ask that question if he did not know the answer, and he definitely did not know the answer. It would be a huge risk otherwise because all she had to do was tell Janeway if she was not with him; Chakotay is too smart to allow this to happen.

Seska is there! Welcome back, it has been far too long!! OH, OH, OH, Neelix would never leave Janeway’s side; not even for Chakotay….not a chance!! Neelix is a bigger Janeway fan than JanewayRulz!

Things become much clearer when we figure out that B’Elanna is in the holodeck living a holodeck novel that she found, but could not figure out who wrote it. Paris talks B’Elanna into letting Paris join her in the novel to figure out the author. HMMMM….my guess is Tuvok. (Keep in mind I write my posts as the show plays) I think Tuvok would make a great candidate. Maybe he wrote this early on as a training security exercise in case anything happened, or there was a problem with the Marquis….it would also be pretty cool if Janeway wrote it, but I am not seeing that. Turns out B’Elanna blabbed to the Doc and now everyone knows about it!

YES, WOOHOO!! When I heard what I suspected affirmed I actually jumped up and down and yelled WOOHOO!! Awesome, awesome, awesome!! It made more sense than anything else!

The scene between Tuvok and Paris was excellent! Their bickering had me in tears. I love the continued story arc between B’Elanna and Paris “Maybe a steamy love seen between the Starfleet con officer and the Maquis engineer…” “Oh yeah, that’s realistic!”

They enter the holodeck, and the moment they engage the program, Seska’s hologram takes over and they have to run. The com system and the transporters are down, and the doors are locked. The power grid is rigged to explode. Janeway’s hologram disintegrates herself trying to fire a phaser. The doctor beats them both up. The Jeffries tubes fill with a plasma leak…on and on with the booby traps that Seska engaged when she happened to come across the program.

Meanwhile, Harry and B’Elana figure out what is going on, and start helping out through the sub-routines. With every piece of helpful news, though, Seska adjusts to re-compensates. A few small items show up to help out. A plasma extinguisher shows up in the Jeffries tube. Messages are sent through the wall panels, but Chakotay appears out of nowhere. Chakotay’s personality gets tweaked, but Seska kills him. The Rucani attack and Tuvok gets the phaser from her. Seska sets off the self-destruct, threatening to blow up the actual ship if they don’t give up. Tuvok passes her the phaser rifle, but when she fires, it disintegrates her the way that it did to Janeway earlier

Great episode, love the whole thing, and I truly appreciate the continuation of the B’Elana Paris thread. I cannot wait to see how they keep that story line going. This is it for today; my turkey is almost done…now, for Thanksgiving Part II!
Old February 18 2013, 03:15 AM   #620
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

A fantastic episode

Thanksgiving II?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 05:50 AM   #621
Qutluch
Commander

Yeah, we have a second thanksgiving dinner in the spring...it kind of became an annual tradition.
Old February 18 2013, 05:53 AM   #622
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't mind a second Christmas. Or two birthdays like hobbits have.. or is that breakfasts. Thanksgiving just sounds like a lot of work though, NO PRESENTS!!! Totally not worth it

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 18 2013, 06:07 AM   #623
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Christmas II was invented by John Litglow in 1985's Santa Claus The Movie.

Every damn movie.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 06:22 AM   #624
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for sharing the richness that is your vast mental library with us.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 18 2013, 06:33 AM   #625
Qutluch
Commander

It is so worth it, but I love food! Plus, pictionary via the iPad/apple tv was hysterical!
Old February 20 2013, 07:04 PM   #626
Qutluch
Commander

Scorpion Part 1

Janeway and Leonardo Di Vinci, of course this would be Janeway’s holodeck ideal…how romantic. This was immediately followed up by the Borg cube. They need to find a way through Borg space. They nicknamed the passage the Northwest Passage….wasn’t the NW passage wrecked with chunks of Artic ice, which made it difficult to pass. Is this supposed to be a metaphor? It will be hard, packed with hazard, and you may need your safety raft at any given point??? Weapons, scanning, warning systems, medical issues, and food….yeah, they need to figure these things out because they will not be able to stop for a while…

Kes begins having telepathic visions of the Borg, and when Tuvok went to the bridge to tell them, they are intercepted by fifteen Borg vessels. The vessels go by VOY, except one which scanned them. When VOY caught up to the Borg vessels, they found them annihilated, which was Kes’ vision. They found one life form in the Borg destruction, and Chakotay takes a team to investigate. Kes has another vision while the away team is in the cube, and Janeway orders them out, they get out just as the team encounters a new alien race (the praying mantis looking creatures). The creatures used telepathy to tell Kes, “the weak will parish”. She tells Janeway to fear them rather than the Borg. Kim is infected by this new alien, and the Doctor is having a hard time stopping it. The crew cannot go through the NW passage because of the new aliens. They have to decide if they want to turn around and try to find a new way home, or settle on a planet. Janeway seeks Di Vinci for advice. Janeway decides to reach out to the Borg to make an alliance to fight the aliens. Chakotay offers one of his parabolas to help Janeway with her decision: a Scorpion Tale or Tail. The moral of the story was it is dangerous to create an alliance with the Borg because even if they negotiate a solution how can they trust the Borg to keep their agreement?

When Janeway tries to negotiate with the Borg they beam her onto the cube and she negotiates with them. Just as she is negotiating the new species attack the Borg and she is beamed onto her own ship.

Favorite part: When Janeway quotes Picard, and I liked the touching scene between Janeway and Chakotay when she tells him that three years ago she did not know his name and now she could not imagine life without him; the hand on his chest was very touching.

Least favorite part: When Janeway barked at Chakotay for offering different advice. She has always appreciated counter views and considered them carefully.
Old February 21 2013, 12:56 AM   #627
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Picard would never use a word like evil or call the Borg evil unless it was in that mental period between Best of Both Worlds and First Contact... That's a really long period there son. Point is that he was unnaturally crazy in reference to the Borg then, and Janeway thought he was sane because she's crazy too.

The Borg are not evil.

To be Evil, you have to give a shit.

They're oblivious to the harm they are doing, but this a question of intent and motive.

Their intent is to help people, and their motive is to spread perfection.

They're no worse than any other fanatically religious missionaries.

Remember the Romans?

After they'd conquered your country, killing half of everyone you know, and you were lucky enough not to be a made a slave, if you didn't accept their gods, they would burn your village down and rape everyone in it... But the Borg are evil.

Even if Picard wasn't completely crazy, he could have been joking or trying to scare the cadets so that they would be suitably afraid not to be killed in their first engagement, and Janeway fell for it.

Old February 21 2013, 04:05 AM   #628
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Qutluch wrote: View Post
Least favorite part: When Janeway barked at Chakotay for offering different advice. She has always appreciated counter views and considered them carefully.
I just watched this episode the other day, and I found this a little odd as well. You'd think Janeway would be angry if he DIDN'T offer a different viewpoint or opinion about how they should proceed.
Old February 21 2013, 07:07 AM   #629
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

it was Chakotay who told B''Elanna to stop being disgruntled and accept that Captain knows best in the pilot.

That set the tone.

Old February 22 2013, 06:50 PM   #630
Qutluch
Commander

Scorpion Part 2

Janeway is on the cube and has Tuvok come over to help. They have formed an alliance, tricky as it may be. The Borg tries to force a neural link onto Tuvok and Janeway in order to make them communicate more efficiently. Janeway threatens to back out of the agreement if they do that and she suggests that they choose a representative from the Borg to work with them and I finally meet 7 of 9!

Janeway tries to talk with 7 of 9, but she refuses to discuss anything that is not relevant to the creation of a weapon. The new aliens attack the cube, but Janeway, Tuvok, and a few Borg were beamed onto VOY before the cube was destroyed. Janeway was unfortunately injured and hands over her command to Chakotay with the insistence that he make the alliance with the Borg work in order to get the crew home. Eventually the other aliens….I forget their number designation….attack, a few Borg, Janeway, and Tuvok are beamed back onto VOY and the cube destroys the alien ship and itself in the process in order to keep the weapon that VOY is creating safe.

Based on a few discussions with the Borg they figure out that the Borg started the war, not the other species. However, Janeway still wants to keep her peace with the Borg and tells Chakotay to stay the course (when she was in sickbay after being injured in the previous attack). Chakotay disagrees with Janeway’s decision and after the Borg demand he turn back, five days into Borg space, and meet with another cube he takes his own course of action and decides to leave the Borg at the next planet they encounter. In the meantime, Janeway miraculously gets better and awakens with perfect hair and makeup. Janeway and Chakotay have a bit of a disagreement and their discussion is left off unsettled.

Janeway meets with 7 of 9 again and tells her that she put Chakotay in the brig for his disobedience...(at this point I thought one of three things: 1. Somehow Janeway was corrupted by the Borg and that may have led to her increased brain trauma, 2. Her and Chakotay were plotting, or 3. She did not really put him in the brig, but had him stay in his quarters in order to appease the Borg and make it look like she was punishing him).

In the end, 7 of 9 is left on the ship by herself and she tries to assimilate the ship and Janeway tells Chakotay the word Scorpion through the com link and their back up plan goes into effect. Chakotay links with 7 of 9 and tries to convince her that she was once human and that her humanity is still there. It is just a decoy to stall her until B’Elanna has a chance to overload her circuits and separate her link from the rest of the Borg.

Favorite parts: I appreciate it that Janeway and Chakotay finished the 2-part episode by banning together. I did not like it when she barked at him in the previous episode for having a different idea. I also decided I ultimately like the title (even though I loathe, and I mean loathe, scorpions). The parable Chakotay offered was actually quite significant. I enjoy that aspect of his character. He does not share his Native American history and background often, but when he does it really is quite insightful and relevant to the episode. I am happy to see a new crew member too!

(Possible) Least favorite part: I know people love 7 of 9, but I am concerned that they have started her character with extreme limits. She has spent more time as a Borg than a human, and I feel like it is going to be a long road to recovery, and I question whether she will even be able to cope with her human emotions and instincts as her human physiology takes over. I just hope that her personality is not too limited, and that she does not bounce back too quickly, which I feel would probably be unrealistic.