RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,359
Posts: 5,446,125
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 440
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 15 2013, 04:07 PM   #286
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

^ Yeah, I can see your logic there and certainly if I was a producer, I'd be very aware of the publicity factor.

Having said that, speaking as a fan, in the episode where Ten and Rose were about to be reunited (I can never remember ep titles) and he got blasted by the Dalek and started to regenerate (he ultimately diverted the regeneration energy into his spare hand) - well, I was totally blown away by the possibility that perhaps they were going to kill off Ten and managed to keep this and the identity of a new actor secret.

Sure, with hindsight, it was never going to happen that way, but the week or so until we found out what happened was one of great anticipation!
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:26 PM   #287
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Yea, it would be a refreshing change to be surprised by a Regeneration.

I watched Classic Who on PBS, before this new fangled Internet thing, and didn't know a thing about what was coming in the next episode (Or even when new episodes would stop). So, every episode (That was new to me) was a surprise. I remember the 3 Doctors, The 5 Doctors and The 2 Doctors all were a surprise to be multi-Doctor Specials as were all the Regenerations). Even having seen the first Tom Baker, Pertwee's Rgeneration came as a surprise, since Pertwee hadn't been shown for the first time until after Baker had aired several times, and Davison had aired. Likewise, having seen Pertwee's first, Troughton's Regeneration came as a Surprise.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:14 PM   #288
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, it would be a refreshing change to be surprised by a Regeneration.

I watched Classic Who on PBS, before this new fangled Internet thing, and didn't know a thing about what was coming in the next episode (Or even when new episodes would stop). So, every episode (That was new to me) was a surprise. I remember the 3 Doctors, The 5 Doctors and The 2 Doctors all were a surprise to be multi-Doctor Specials as were all the Regenerations). Even having seen the first Tom Baker, Pertwee's Rgeneration came as a surprise, since Pertwee hadn't been shown for the first time until after Baker had aired several times, and Davison had aired. Likewise, having seen Pertwee's first, Troughton's Regeneration came as a Surprise.
Yes. But if you had been living in the UK at the time those episodes were about to air, you would've known about the impending regeneration. Because you were living in the US, pre-internet, you weren't a part of the PR experience. You got to have a thrilling experience because of it, but, it was unique to where you were living--not to lack of PR on the BBCs part.

I get the desire. And a part of it is watching a show take an actual risk. But, I don't think it would happen. The bigger a franchise is, the more risk adverse they become.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 06:33 PM   #289
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, it would be a refreshing change to be surprised by a Regeneration.

I watched Classic Who on PBS, before this new fangled Internet thing, and didn't know a thing about what was coming in the next episode (Or even when new episodes would stop). So, every episode (That was new to me) was a surprise. I remember the 3 Doctors, The 5 Doctors and The 2 Doctors all were a surprise to be multi-Doctor Specials as were all the Regenerations). Even having seen the first Tom Baker, Pertwee's Rgeneration came as a surprise, since Pertwee hadn't been shown for the first time until after Baker had aired several times, and Davison had aired. Likewise, having seen Pertwee's first, Troughton's Regeneration came as a Surprise.
Yes. But if you had been living in the UK at the time those episodes were about to air, you would've known about the impending regeneration. Because you were living in the US, pre-internet, you weren't a part of the PR experience. You got to have a thrilling experience because of it, but, it was unique to where you were living--not to lack of PR on the BBCs part.

I get the desire. And a part of it is watching a show take an actual risk. But, I don't think it would happen. The bigger a franchise is, the more risk adverse they become.
Oh, yea, no denying that, I was just expressing it was a nice experience

Though I was ignorant during most of Tennant's run (didn't research or post online about Doctor Who until the Specials year), so when 10 got zapped by the Dalek, I actually did worry it was his Regeneration. Unfortunately by End of Time, I no longer kept myself so ignorant
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 12:03 AM   #290
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, yea, no denying that, I was just expressing it was a nice experience
I'm actually sort of jealous of it. I don't remember if I knew certain things before I watched them on PBS. Sadly, it's very hard not to be spoiled about things without being a Luddite. The new reality I guess.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 06:25 PM   #291
The Haunting
Admiral
 
The Haunting's Avatar
 
Location: Starkers
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

It is still possible to be surprised if you keep your head down a little. Having Oswin turn up in Asylum was a major shock, for me at least.
__________________
The Devils of Amber Street is free to download this Halloween!

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 06:53 PM   #292
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Starkers wrote: View Post
It is still possible to be surprised if you keep your head down a little. Having Oswin turn up in Asylum was a major shock, for me at least.
Yea, I missed that shock, I never worry about "guest Stars" as Spoilers (Though I like to know little else), so, I knew she was going to be in it, but, didn't know anything about her role, and was shocked (and confused) by her fate, since I knew she was to be the new Companion starting in the Christmas Special
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 07:40 PM   #293
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

It might be easier in the US, to avoid shocks all I have to do is not read this forum, lol. I often go in dark mode a couple of weeks before premiere.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 10:04 PM   #294
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
It is still possible to be surprised if you keep your head down a little. Having Oswin turn up in Asylum was a major shock, for me at least.
Yea, I missed that shock, I never worry about "guest Stars" as Spoilers (Though I like to know little else), so, I knew she was going to be in it, but, didn't know anything about her role, and was shocked (and confused) by her fate, since I knew she was to be the new Companion starting in the Christmas Special
I didn't even recognise her, so was totally baffled at all the "wow there's an incredible spoiler we can't mention!" hype... And thus very disappointed by it!
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: The Haunted Book (Jeremy Dyson)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 12:05 AM   #295
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Starkers wrote: View Post
It is still possible to be surprised if you keep your head down a little. Having Oswin turn up in Asylum was a major shock, for me at least.
However, having her appear in the Christmas special was not. The surprise was that the new companion appeared before she was supposed to, not that she wouldn't be the new companion.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 12:55 AM   #296
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
It is still possible to be surprised if you keep your head down a little. Having Oswin turn up in Asylum was a major shock, for me at least.
Yea, I missed that shock, I never worry about "guest Stars" as Spoilers (Though I like to know little else), so, I knew she was going to be in it, but, didn't know anything about her role, and was shocked (and confused) by her fate, since I knew she was to be the new Companion starting in the Christmas Special
I didn't even recognise her, so was totally baffled at all the "wow there's an incredible spoiler we can't mention!" hype... And thus very disappointed by it!
I didn't even recognize her either, I had seen pictures of her when she was first announced as the new companion and that was it, so by Asylum came out I didn't really remember what she looked like.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 01:07 AM   #297
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

I recognised her as the lesbian hottie from Emmerdale.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:39 AM   #298
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I didn't even recognize her either, I had seen pictures of her when she was first announced as the new companion and that was it, so by Asylum came out I didn't really remember what she looked like.
that's exactly it
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: The Haunted Book (Jeremy Dyson)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 03:11 AM   #299
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

New Moffat interview



Claims the "One 60 minute anniversary is nonsense"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 03:34 AM   #300
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

OK. If it is nonsense, then some heads ought to roll at BBC publicity, as if they've done a great job of convincing us all that that's all we're getting!
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.