Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 20 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Spoiler-ish predictions from current STID trailer

I'm not going to speculate on whether Cumberpatch is actually playing Khan, but since the new trailer ends with two hands between glass, one arm clad in yellow, the second in blue.....

Are we to believe that Abrams would deliberately tip us off AND make a conclusion THAT similar to WRATH OF KHAN? Part of me doubts that. It reels you in, but I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that this moment will be in the middle of the movie and the arm will NOT belong to Spock. Mr. Blue is dying, I assume, but I believe the arm belongs to McCoy. And here's why.

The trailer has a noticeable Starfleet memorial moment with a the draping of a coffin. A VIP officer most likely, which leaves out Cupcake. I believe at least one and possibly up to three of Kirk's crew will bite it this installment. Before I saw the trailer at all I came to this speculation.....because to kill Spock in ANOTHER Part Two would be a repetitive unimagininity. So I think McCoy's days are numbered.

It makes dramatic sense to raise the stakes for Kirk, who almost certainly won't perish. Spock, again, has died two or three times, but McCoy hasn't died since ''Shore Leave.'' For Kirk to lose his ''first friend'' instead fits the bill. The Karl Urban clips looked fairly intense, and having him die would explain Chapel's scream.

As for Spock, he's already lost his mother and home planet. If he must lose somebody.....it'd possibly be Uhura. If she does go, I'm guessing they'll save that moment for the end.

We also have a scene segment with Kirk and Sulu running for their lives in a crimson cornfield, followed by a pensive Kirk close-up. Perhaps Sulu will die in this segment. These two have battled together and won in the first film. To both survive again would, like having Kirk and Spock's hands between the glass, would be too thematically redundant, at least to this writer.

So, in conclusion, I believe McCoy is definitely toast, Sulu may be victim two and Uhura MAY buy it at the very end. Three months from now, this post could be very prescient, or very embarrassing. We shall see.

PS: I'm thinking Bones will do the salute as a dying joke. Obviously it suggests Spock, but why would Abrams want to do that if the blue arm is dying?
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:24 PM   #2
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Spoiler-ish predictions from current STID trailer

Urban's performance is one thing critics unanimously gush over. Bones isn't going anywhere.
Old February 20 2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Borgminister

He's a doctor, not a redshirt!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Of course, being TREK, whatever deaths occur for the principals would be permanent only for this movie.
Old February 20 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Borgminister

Star Trek: The search for Doc?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:33 PM   #6
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Old February 20 2013, 11:33 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'm pretty sure the hands through the glass are Spock and Harrison. In the brig. Possibly a mindfuck by Harrison which allows him to escape, since the positions seems to indicate he's in distress and Spock is reaching out to him.

I doubt any of the main seven will die. That leaves Pike at the top of the "disposable" list.
Old February 20 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The blond chick is Carol Marcus nor Chapel and the running through the red field thing is what the Enterprise crew is doing before the villain starts things, plus Kirk is with McCoy not Sulu.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
foxhot
Fleet Captain

I originally thought Pike would spike and burn in the 2009 film. When Amanda died instead, that became unnecessary. And NOBODY had better harm Mr. Scott. Not even slightly.
Old February 20 2013, 11:37 PM   #10
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I doubt anyone from the main cast is going anywhere.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Franklin
Rear Admiral

First, that's Kirk and McCoy (not Sulu) running through a field of red vegetation before jumping off the cliff into the ocean. Second, I didn't see a hand with a yellow sleeve in the shot that's evocative of Spock's death in TWOK. It looks like the sleeve of the black undershirt. Third, the woman screaming is Alice Eve, who is known for fact to be playing Carol Marcus, not Chapel. Fourth, McCoy doing the Vulcan salute as a dying joke? Really?

I don't think we know for sure which character on opposite sides of that glass is dying, if either. There's been a lot of speculation, but I'd put the odds near zero on that blue shirt belonging to McCoy and at nearly one hundred percent that it's Spock.
Old February 20 2013, 11:45 PM   #12
foxhot
Fleet Captain

It's the obligatory homage.
But I think it will be more different than it appears.
The godawful DIE HARD V had a ''falling Alan Rickman'' homage and an ''Ode to Joy'' ringtone. Those were the only high points in the whole film.
Old February 20 2013, 11:50 PM   #13
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

foxhot wrote: View Post
... but I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that this moment will be in the middle of the movie and the arm will NOT belong to Spock. Mr. Blue is dying, I assume...
But why would you assume that?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 01:02 AM   #14
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Traditionally, hands on opposite sides of glass have seldom depicted a death scene.
Old February 21 2013, 01:51 AM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

foxhot wrote: View Post
... Cumberpatch ...
Cumberbatch.

Is it really that hard to spell his name correctly?