CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Wertham lied

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bo...k-studies.html

The irony is that we've regressed societally, to the point where people really are interpreting every line in the seediest possible light. e.g., http://superdickery.com/index.php?op...d=32&Itemid=50
Old February 20 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Wertham lied

Is that why you have a 1950s avatar to match your outlook?
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Gaith
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
The irony is that we've regressed societally, to the point where people really are interpreting every line in the seediest possible light. e.g., http://superdickery.com/index.php?op...d=32&Itemid=50
You're equating a snarky web site with an intrusive and harassing era of censorship that seriously hampered the careers of perfectly legitimate artists?

Just who is distorting what, here?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:11 PM   #4
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

That "snark" as you put it, or entrenched cynicism as I see it, is the reason superheroes have turned drab and dull (Raimi notwithstanding - he still believed in the source material). No one's willing to believe in earnestness anymore. Where Wertham failed this attitude is succeeding.
For that reason I'll make the following prediction: Man of Steel will bomb. Superman is a creature of light and fancy. Any attempt to weigh him down is doomed to failure.
I mean, come on: Hansel & Gretel, Witch Hunters?? Really?
Old February 20 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

What's wrong with Hansel & Gretel? Sure, the film probably sucks, but at least Hollywood is creating some new IPs rather than regurgitating the same crap over and over again like the upcoming Oz film.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:29 PM   #6
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I'll make the following prediction: Man of Steel will bomb. Superman is a creature of light and fancy. Any attempt to weigh him down is doomed to failure.
You heard it here first folks!
Old February 20 2013, 10:33 PM   #7
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

That "snark" as you put it, or entrenched cynicism as I see it, is the reason superheroes have turned drab and dull (Raimi notwithstanding - he still believed in the source material). No one's willing to believe in earnestness anymore. Where Wertham failed this attitude is succeeding.
For that reason I'll make the following prediction: Man of Steel will bomb. Superman is a creature of light and fancy. Any attempt to weigh him down is doomed to failure.
What you call "entrenched cynicism" I call "depth." Or at least attempts at achieving it. Nobody wants to see a goody two-shoes Superman in 2013. We expect a bit more complexity these days.

Everything doesn't have to be grim and gritty, but some effort at realism (as in portraying characters as if they were real people) is a good thing.
Old February 20 2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
What's wrong with Hansel & Gretel? Sure, the film probably sucks, but at least Hollywood is creating some new IPs rather than regurgitating the same crap over and over again like the upcoming Oz film.
Not sure if serious...

Well, there's a thorough and complete non-response to the point I was making in response to your OP...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:37 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Everything doesn't have to be grim and gritty, but some effort at realism (as in portraying characters as if they were real people) is a good thing.
This.
Old February 20 2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Except of course the idea of Hansel/Gretel as witchhunters isn't original. It's been done before in fiction.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:05 PM   #11
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bo...k-studies.html

What other way is there to interpret that comic panel?

The men are told anyone they touched has passed on a deadly pathogen. Flash, Atom and Green Lantern all respond with worry for female companions. Who's the first person Batman thinks of? Robin? Sorry, it sort of hard to NOT see the subtext there, it's pretty spelled out that billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne doesn't think of one of the many women he courts but of his teenage male ward.
Old February 20 2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

But he doesn't have any attachment to any of those women he courts. They are just a cover for his guise as a playboy.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:36 AM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Everything doesn't have to be grim and gritty.
No, it doesn't, and that's exactly the point. Everything HAS become grim and gritty, and anything that isn't is automatically (and incorrectly) written off as "campy".

And that's just sad.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:55 AM   #14
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think his point is that attempts at realism have been interpreted as grim and gritty.
Old February 21 2013, 12:57 AM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The thing with psychoanalysts is... most of them have an issue themselves, and generalize it and project it on the entire humankind.

Wertham isn't any different from those who say video games make people violent, or watching Seinfeld makes you gay. You can cite studies for any shit.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote