Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 20 2013, 09:42 PM   #16
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: TNG re-released on DVD

I think it's paradoxical to be hesitant to new technology and be a Star Trek fan at the same time.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Garrovick
Commander

Seems kinda pricey for a re-release of the old DVD sets with just new packaging, especially considering how easy it is to find the old DVD's secondhand.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I think it's paradoxical to be hesitant to new technology and be a Star Trek fan at the same time.
Especially since a decent Blu-Ray player can be had for less than a hundred bucks.

Anyone who can afford to buy these DVDs can afford a Blu-Ray player, amirite?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:21 PM   #19
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

I'm not hesitant to new technology, I'm just not interested in having the "best" quality of entertainment, always. I don't enjoy remastered TOS on blu-ray any more than I enjoy TOS on VHS.

If I had free money laying around, then I'd probably buy a blu-ray player. But, I don't.
Old February 21 2013, 12:01 AM   #20
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

The packaging is pretty sloppy. The image of Troi is clearly from the pilot. Picard, Crusher, and Data are from season 1 while Riker, Worf and LaForge are from later seasons and are the only ones with collars.
Old February 21 2013, 12:11 AM   #21
Relayer1
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Not everyone is interested in new technology and/or don't wish to commit funds to it - that's a totally understandable position, and I accept it completely.
I don't. Why be so resistant to new technology and formats? I mean, there's not that many people grumbling about movies not being on VHS anymore, are there? As you say a new BD player can be picked up pretty cheap and there's no drawback to buy a BD player.

I was talking to a friend recently and she was interested in one of the extras on the Star Trek BD (the cast reunion) and wanted to know if it was available on DVD. I told her no, just the BD. She said she was reluctant to adopt Blu-Ray since she didn't want to rebuy her collection. I assured her the DVDs would work in her BD player and she seemed shocked by this idea.

I wonder how many more people out there are like that, that they honestly don't know BluRay players can play DVDs too?
With upscaling her DVDs will actually look BETTER on a Bluray player...
Old February 21 2013, 12:26 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Not everyone is interested in new technology and/or don't wish to commit funds to it - that's a totally understandable position, and I accept it completely.
I don't. Why be so resistant to new technology and formats? I mean, there's not that many people grumbling about movies not being on VHS anymore, are there? As you say a new BD player can be picked up pretty cheap and there's no drawback to buy a BD player.

I was talking to a friend recently and she was interested in one of the extras on the Star Trek BD (the cast reunion) and wanted to know if it was available on DVD. I told her no, just the BD. She said she was reluctant to adopt Blu-Ray since she didn't want to rebuy her collection. I assured her the DVDs would work in her BD player and she seemed shocked by this idea.

I wonder how many more people out there are like that, that they honestly don't know BluRay players can play DVDs too?
With upscaling her DVDs will actually look BETTER on a Bluray player...
No. Upscaling does not work that way.
Old February 21 2013, 12:28 AM   #23
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

The packaging is pretty sloppy. The image of Troi is clearly from the pilot. Picard, Crusher, and Data are from season 1 while Riker, Worf and LaForge are from later seasons and are the only ones with collars.
How is it sloppy? And does it really matter if they used Troi from season 1 and other characters in different seasons?

People are really reaching to try and shit on TNG being re-released on dvd.
Old February 21 2013, 12:28 AM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

This is silly, they should have released the remastered episodes in standard definition.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:33 AM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

heavy lids wrote: View Post
Because it doesn't really make sense to reissue the shitty masters from 2002 when you have ones that are of much better quality being produced now.

I wonder how many people will buy these thinking they're the remastered versions?
Old February 21 2013, 01:22 AM   #26
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I wonder how many people will buy these thinking they're the remastered versions?
Too many.

And I agree, the inconsistency with the box designs is a bit annoying.
Old February 21 2013, 01:34 AM   #27
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm not hesitant to new technology, I'm just not interested in having the "best" quality of entertainment, always. I don't enjoy remastered TOS on blu-ray any more than I enjoy TOS on VHS.

If I had free money laying around, then I'd probably buy a blu-ray player. But, I don't.
That's certainly fair, and my parents are the same way. They couldn't really care less about the picture quality, and don't even seem to notice when the picture is stretched out horizontally (making the actors all look short and squat).

It drives me up the freakin wall, but to them it's just no big deal.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 01:53 AM   #28
Dream
Admiral

What a waste of time and money!

I vastly prefer the classy silver boxes over these new ugly covers!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 01:56 AM   #29
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

How is it sloppy? And does it really matter if they used Troi from season 1 and other characters in different seasons?

This is nothing more than a business tactic to clear out their warehouses of the unwanted DVDs, while passing it off as a new product. It's the same old product, but given a new coat of paint to entice consumers who don't know any better. Most of us either already own the original box sets or are getting the Blu-rays. Who at this point wants to drop $300+ on a TV show that's been on DVD for a decade, and has been replaced with a superior product at nearly the same price?

Bad idea. All it would do is confuse the average Joe and reduce Blu-ray sales. The last thing TNG HD needs right now is new competition from the old product. Obviously the different departments at CBS are not talking to each other.
Old February 21 2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

The person that designed these new covers SO ripped off Mad Men!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote