New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 20 2013, 03:59 AM   #1
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

TNG re-released on DVD

http://www.startrek.com/article/firs...-dvd-packaging

These look pretty cool. Considering I don't have a blu-ray player and I don't plan on buying one any time soon, I think I may buy these. I don't own any TNG on DVD and I'd prefer these over the complete series set that I heard has terrible packaging.
Old February 20 2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG re-released on DVD

So these are the exact same DVDs that were previously released? Not like a standard definition version of TNG-R?
Old February 20 2013, 05:02 AM   #3
StalwartUK
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
So these are the exact same DVDs that were previously released? Not like a standard definition version of TNG-R?
Looks like it:

StarTrek.com wrote:
The DVD sets will feature precisely the same content (including bonus material) as the previous full-season TNG DVD releases.
Old February 20 2013, 06:48 AM   #4
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Obvious attempt to unload unwanted inventory.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
DJ Mike
Ensign

A crying shame - even in DVD format the remastered episodes would look leaps and bounds ahead of the original releases.
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
MikeS
Fleet Captain

How odd. There cannot be a big market for these now.
Old February 20 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

That packaging is fugly.
Old February 20 2013, 05:47 PM   #8
NewHorizon
Captain

Really, I think the packaging is neat. Nice to see them try something different like this instead of the same old run of the mill stuff.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

DJ Mike wrote: View Post
A crying shame - even in DVD format the remastered episodes would look leaps and bounds ahead of the original releases.
Yeah. It's a bit puzzling why they wouldn't just release the remastered edition in DVD format.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Odd timing, considering the second-hand market is likely to be soon flooded with used DVDs.
Old February 20 2013, 08:48 PM   #11
M
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
That packaging is fugly.
Really? I think this must be the most beautiful package design for a Trek DVD set ever. I think it looks great. Actually, I would love those as tees or art prints.

Why they're just re-releasign the SD discs is beyond me, though.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I agree the packaging isn't very attractive. And why aren't they being released in some-kind-of chain of command order?!
Old February 20 2013, 09:08 PM   #13
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Yeah. It's a bit puzzling why they wouldn't just release the remastered edition in DVD format.
While it wouldn't be cheap to author new discs, I do find that strange after Remastered TOS and with the first three TNG seasons (at least) now in superior quality, even when downscaled.

I already traded the original 2002 DVD sets up for that 20th Anniversary complete pack a while ago. Surprising I still own that actually, given how rubbish the lurid green plastic packaging was and with the Blu ray almost halfway released. Hopefully the 49th disc exclusive content will be transferred across, when the appropriate seasons in HD come up.

Not really interested in another repackage for the DVDs myself. But the silhouette design on those new ones are rather lovely and somewhat iconic. When I think back to the days of VHS, re-releases are practically inevitable. I must've seen the same Star Treks come around again after 7 years or so. It's probably the last gasp of standard definition.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 20 2013 at 09:54 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 09:19 PM   #14
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

heavy lids wrote: View Post
Considering I don't have a blu-ray player and I don't plan on buying one any time soon, I think I may buy these. I don't own any TNG on DVD and I'd prefer these over the complete series set that I heard has terrible packaging.
DJ Mike wrote: View Post
Not everyone is interested in new technology and/or don't wish to commit funds to it - that's a totally understandable position, and I accept it completely.

But I must say, nowadays, you can pick up a basic Blu-ray player for a comparatively small investment. Superstores (Tesco, ASDA etc.) in the UK are selling decks for as little as £30.00 currently.

You can connect BD players to older standard definition CRT and/or flat panel televisions if you wish (setting output resolution appropriately) - and STILL benefit from visibly superior picture quality.

BD players are totally backwards compatible with your old DVD collection as well. When you weigh it up, I think investing in a BD player makes sense.
Old February 20 2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Not everyone is interested in new technology and/or don't wish to commit funds to it - that's a totally understandable position, and I accept it completely.
I don't. Why be so resistant to new technology and formats? I mean, there's not that many people grumbling about movies not being on VHS anymore, are there? As you say a new BD player can be picked up pretty cheap and there's no drawback to buy a BD player.

I was talking to a friend recently and she was interested in one of the extras on the Star Trek BD (the cast reunion) and wanted to know if it was available on DVD. I told her no, just the BD. She said she was reluctant to adopt Blu-Ray since she didn't want to rebuy her collection. I assured her the DVDs would work in her BD player and she seemed shocked by this idea.

I wonder how many more people out there are like that, that they honestly don't know BluRay players can play DVDs too?