Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 19 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Inner Light and other alternate reality episodes

There are a number of episodes like those on TNG, crew member wakes in another reality, spends the majority of the episode there, trying to get back to the real reality. I think most of the major cast got in on one, or more.

The episodes very in quality from the excellent Yesterday's Enterprise and Inner Light, to the ok I guess Remember Me.

It always bugs me though that Inner Light did what Remember Me did and took us out of the alt reality that our protagonist was cast into for a moment. I would never think that Picard was really this husband on a dying planet, but it was interesting to see where he would go in the reality. Not so interesting, was a cut back to the Enterprise, where the rest of the crew have nothing else to do but issue technobabble on the bridge.

Not much of a critique that, but it just bugged me that Inner Light didn't get to keep up the same intensity that Yesterday's Enterprise did. There was no release for either the audience or the crew, which helped maintain the tension until the very end. It makes me wish for a fan edit of Inner Light that takes away the bits on the bridge (or that I had the know how to do that myself).
Old February 19 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Inner Light and other alternate reality episodes

I agree entirely. The Inner Light is my second favourite all-time Star Trek episode behind DS9's In The Pale Moonlight but I could easily lose the pointless "What's wrong with Picard... why is he asleep?" scenes. Repetitive and pointless.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 09:11 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Well "Yesterday's Enterprise" was an alternate reality episode, as for the "Inner Light" isn't that more it's just a dream episode?

Same with "Future Imperfect" that was about making Riker think it was years later.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'd rather dig out a wisdom tooth with a rusty spoon than watch The Inner Light again. And I'm not sure it's an alternate reality episode, more like a Picard at the movies one.
Old February 19 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well "Yesterday's Enterprise" was an alternate reality episode, as for the "Inner Light" isn't that more it's just a dream episode?
It occurred to me only after I posted that indeed, Yesterday's Enterprise has real stakes, if you imagine a separate time line that could collapse our own. We survive and Picard et al are friends with the Klingons, but the timeline that Yar leaves goes on and the Federation collapses.

They all could be alternate reality episodes for all we know when we watch them first. Of course, TNG wouldn't play tricks on us like that, Yar died for real after all. But for the course of the episode, it would be nice to suspend belief.
Old February 20 2013, 05:34 AM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I like the way Future Imperfect started but I think it lost steam toward the end. Like they had this great premise for Riker to wake up 16 years in the future with no memory, but couldn't figure out where to go with it so they made it a 'loveable misunderstanding'.

I also like Inner Light but unlike most would not rank it among the best TNG episodes.

Frame of Mind might be my favorite episode like this.

Hard Time is another good one, and an outlier because we know it's a fake reality from the beginning and it's all about the emotional impact on the character.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'd rather dig out a wisdom tooth with a rusty spoon than watch The Inner Light again. And I'm not sure it's an alternate reality episode, more like a Picard at the movies one.
Geez, what's with the hate?

TIL isn't an episode where Picard watches a movie for 40 minutes.

It's an episode where he gets to live the life that was always denied to him, he gets to have a family, a wife, children, acting as a member of a community, not as the leader of that community. The point of the episode is we get to see how Picard copes with the opportunity to live that life, we get to see how much his family means to him, even though the Picard we've come to know has refused those things. he doesn't want to get married. he doesn't like kids. But then, when he has the chance to do them, we find that he doesn't just do them, he does them WELL. He realises that there is a part of himself that he never knew, and so do we. It makes his character more interesting, deeper and more complicated, because he isn't a man who doesn't want those things anymore. He's a man who knows what he's given up, who knows how rich his life could be with them, and yet chooses to go without so he can be the captain of a starship. Before the episode, he's happy to pay the price of being the captain, but afterwards he's come to realise just how great that price is.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:25 PM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post

It is absolutely all it is, with a side order of Riker acting like a complete idiot.

The episode puts me to sleep. I'd rather watch Code of Honor and Angel One back-to-back on a constant loop for eternity than be forced to sit through The Inner Light again.

Zzzzzzzzzzz...
Old February 20 2013, 10:57 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

It is rare that any episode really meets the pre and post series hype, this is one of the exceptions.

RAMA
Old February 21 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Tiberius
Commodore

It is absolutely all it is, with a side order of Riker acting like a complete idiot.
Did you even bother to read my post?
Old February 21 2013, 02:59 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

Of course, I simply disagree with it. Such is life.
Old February 21 2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Dream
Admiral

I wouldn't call Inner Light an "alternate reality" episode. It had probe downloading a bunch of memories onto Picard thing. Very different from something like "Parallels" or any of the Mirror eps.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:07 PM   #13
yousirname
Commander

It technically isn't an 'alternate reality' since the civilisation in question really existed and did so in the same universe as the Enterprise and crew. But it's an alternate reality for Picard - he wakes up as an alien with a wife and kid, after all. The only difference between TIL and Future Imperfect from the point of view of the central character is that in one case the setting is familiar and in the other it's not.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 02:19 PM   #14
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

yousirname wrote: View Post
But it's an alternate reality for Picard - he wakes up as an alien with a wife and kid, after all
That's the way I looked at it too, an alternate reality from that character's point of view. Shots of the bridge took us out of that point of view and let the episode down somewhat.
Old February 22 2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Tiberius
Commodore

Of course, I simply disagree with it. Such is life.
I'm curious as to why you disregard the points I made.