Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 19 2013, 07:58 PM   #181
anh165
Commander

Re: What were they thinking? AVENGERS style TREK

Janeway was in my opinion a failure even in concept. Let's make a female captain but make her behave and talk like a man in some cheezy 80's action flick.

Poor.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 08:16 PM   #182
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

anh165 wrote: View Post
Janeway was in my opinion a failure even in concept. Let's make a female captain but make her behave and talk like a man in some cheezy 80's action flick.

Poor.
For the most part, but she did have her moments.
Old February 19 2013, 08:18 PM   #183
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Well that is a shame Clegg you fail to understand what that means.
I understand plenty, like how backpedaling from a thoughtless and tasteless broad generalization makes one look unsavory.
The only thing you seemed to understand is the judicious use of insidious forum troll posting.

There is no broad generalisation, just a very specific swipe at poorly written and poorly acted female characters like those in DS9 and VOY, the sort of TV movie, direct-to-video quality that anyone with a creative mind would never put to the big screen.

Some of you chaps can defend poorly written and poorly acted female characters till the cows come home, at the end of the day all those high profile movies feature instantly engaging female characters , this works better than the irate and contentious women you find in DS9/VOY.

A good comedian should never have to explain their own jokes, same as a good singer on stage doenst need to be a total attention seeking try hard, you either have it in you to engage the viewer or you do not.
anh165, I spoke to you once before about how it's possible to criticize or rebut statements or opinions without taking personal swipes at the poster making them - I'd like to see you do better at that in the future.

Also: at no time are in-thread accusations of trolling considered acceptable. If you honestly believe that someone is trolling (or committing any other infraction of the rules) you may use the "Notify Moderator" button ( ) on the post in question or you may send a PM to the forum moderator.

Besides, in your very next post...

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
But anh165's original point was made so broadly as to denigrate all strong female characters, not just ones written or portrayed poorly.
Yes I suppose my point was expressed as poorly as how Seven and Kira are written and acted.

I can live with that.
...you essentially admit that your original point had been expressed poorly, so why not—rather than blaming others for misunderstanding what you meant—simply acknowledge that, make the clarification, and move on with the discussion? It's just a better approach all around.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 10:58 PM   #184
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Poor.
And my guess is most of the writers were men.

The members of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" admitted it was tough to write for women's parts. Jerry Seinfeld said his biggest challenge in writing was writing for Elaine until he decided to just write her like all the rest. On the other hand, in the 1970s, Mary Kay Place wrote a lot of TV episodes centered around multi-dimensional and strong female characters for shows like "M*A*S*H", "Mary Tyler Moore", and her own, "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

Maybe sometimes it does take a "woman's touch."
Old February 20 2013, 01:31 PM   #185
Konata Izumi
Commander

Franklin wrote: View Post
Maybe sometimes it does take a "woman's touch."
You only need to find your inner female.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote