RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,164
Posts: 5,344,598
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 582
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 18 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral
 
Quinto: No Trek Stress

Zachary Quinto is at ease as he waits for Star Trek into Darkness to release. Trek fans may be nervous though, as Quinto promises that the sequel will be “darker, bigger,” with “more at stake for everyone.” Expect “more action, more peril and there’s more at stake.” Quinto has “never felt any pressure” from being [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

"More at stake"? Nero destroyed Vulcan and threatened to do the same to Earth and "every Federation planet." How much bigger can the stakes get?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:44 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

Captrek wrote: View Post
"More at stake"? Nero destroyed Vulcan and threatened to do the same to Earth and "every Federation planet." How much bigger can the stakes get?
The Galaxy of course, the whole freaking Galaxy.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

Why would Quinto be nervous or stressed? He's an actor, not a fan. He shows up to set, says his lines, collects his paycheck. Other than royalties or the likelihood of future movies, I highly doubt that most actors are ever stressed before, during, or after the movie is released.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

Of course actors stress out over the movies they're in. Jeez.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:21 PM   #6
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Of course actors stress out over the movies they're in. Jeez.
Source? I've never once heard of a case of this. I'll freely admit that I may be wrong, but I'd be interest to hear of cases where this has happened. There may be stress during the actual production, where the actor has to perform, but after it's completed out of his/her control, why would it cause stress?
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:25 PM   #7
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

trekker670 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Of course actors stress out over the movies they're in. Jeez.
Source? I've never once heard of a case of this. I'll freely admit that I may be wrong, but I'd be interest to hear of cases where this has happened. There may be stress during the actual production, where the actor has to perform, but after it's completed out of his/her control, why would it cause stress?
cause their entire future might ride on it and it's out of their control?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:26 PM   #8
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

trekker670 wrote: View Post
There may be stress during the actual production, where the actor has to perform, but after it's completed out of his/her control, why would it cause stress?

Maybe because they're proud of their hard work and are anxious to see if it will do well in the eyes of the general movie going audience and a bunch of crazy internet people.
And because their career, their future, depends on the success of their projects.

Just a shot in the dark here.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

trekker670 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Of course actors stress out over the movies they're in. Jeez.
Source? I've never once heard of a case of this. I'll freely admit that I may be wrong, but I'd be interest to hear of cases where this has happened. There may be stress during the actual production, where the actor has to perform, but after it's completed out of his/her control, why would it cause stress?
Because how much they are worth on their future movies (and how many offers of parts they get) is based upon how well a movie does.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: Second star to the right
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

When I worked at places where I got annual performance reviews, I often felt stress in anticipation thereof, especially if I hadn't had a particularly good year. It was much less stressful when bosses and coworkers were raving about my work and I knew the review would be good. Therefore I would guess that the stress an actor feels about a film's impending release would be inversely related to the confidence they feel about their performance. Maybe Quinto's "no stress" comment means he feels confident that he turned in a really good performance and that it will be a really good movie.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 08:57 PM   #11
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

Captrek wrote: View Post
Maybe Quinto's "no stress" comment means he feels confident that he turned in a really good performance and that it will be a really good movie.
A few weeks ago Quinto made a similarly calm and detached statement, and there was frantic speculation that he was unhappy with the role/the production, that he didn't care any more, and that he wouldn't be returning to Star Trek. I'm inclined to think Captrek is probably right, and that Quinto does have a lot of confidence in his performance and in the production, and that he isn't overly stressed about it at this point.

Either that, or he's just really good at compartmentalizing.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 10:28 PM   #12
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

The interviewer, journalism student Shannon O'Connor, seemed to switch gears in the middle of the question. It was:

Portraying such an iconic character as Spock in Star Trek and doing so successfully in the first film, what kind pressure does reception of the sequel put on you, if it puts pressure on you at all?
I think he interpreted the question based on the first part as a reference only to playing Spock, so he couched some of his response in the light that he feels no pressure to peform up to any standard set in the first movie.
He then speaks to the broader point of the entire movie, saying that he's excited to get the movie out there, and he feels no pressure about it now because it's out of his hands, and he belives the production people are talented enough to trust them. He does say he feels people won't be disappointed.

Feeling stress isn't the same as being nervous. I think if he'd have been asked about being at all nervous about the reception of the movie and said, "No," I'd be skeptical and raise an eyebrow. Who doesn't feel butterflies?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Franklin; February 19 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Source? I've never once heard of a case of this. I'll freely admit that I may be wrong, but I'd be interest to hear of cases where this has happened. There may be stress during the actual production, where the actor has to perform, but after it's completed out of his/her control, why would it cause stress?
You don't get out enough. Or read enough interviews.

Of course wondering how a potential audience will like your work causes stress. Actors in a long-running stage production and stand-up comedians can (and do) tweak their performances every night, depending on how previous audiences have reacted to their delivery. With a motion picture, the actor does the work, trusting only in the script, director and fellow actors - and is at the mercy of the editing room - right up until opening night. But there is no chance to tweak the performance.

Sometimes movies bomb, taking an actor's career with it.

Sometimes a entire role gets left on the cutting room floor, eg. Victor Garber's Klingon in "Star Trek" (2009). Sometimes an actors two lines of dialogue gets left out at the last minute, and not restored until TV editions or Director's editions, eg. Billy Van Zandt's bridge alien in ST:TMP; Wil Wheaton's scenes in "Nemesis". Or an onscreen credit is negotiated away by an agent who says, "Trust me, 'The Phoenix' will make you a huge star!", eg. Judson Scott in ST II. Sometimes an actor gets replaced in the sequel, eg. Kirstie Alley not in ST III. Or forgotten forever, eg. Katherine Blum's Vulcan girl in ST III.

Sometimes an actor gets typecast, forever limiting their range. Plenty to stress about.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 11:45 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
Maybe Quinto's "no stress" comment means he feels confident that he turned in a really good performance and that it will be a really good movie.
A few weeks ago Quinto made a similarly calm and detached statement, and there was frantic speculation that he was unhappy with the role/the production, that he didn't care any more, and that he wouldn't be returning to Star Trek. I'm inclined to think Captrek is probably right, and that Quinto does have a lot of confidence in his performance and in the production, and that he isn't overly stressed about it at this point.

Either that, or he's just really good at compartmentalizing.
I hear he's writing a book - I Am Not Spock, Either.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 11:55 PM   #15
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Quinto: No Trek Stress

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
Maybe Quinto's "no stress" comment means he feels confident that he turned in a really good performance and that it will be a really good movie.
A few weeks ago Quinto made a similarly calm and detached statement, and there was frantic speculation that he was unhappy with the role/the production, that he didn't care any more, and that he wouldn't be returning to Star Trek. I'm inclined to think Captrek is probably right, and that Quinto does have a lot of confidence in his performance and in the production, and that he isn't overly stressed about it at this point.

Either that, or he's just really good at compartmentalizing.
I hear he's writing a book - I Am Not Spock, Either.
And now it pretty much is the last thread all over again.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...20#post7272820
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.