Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 18 2013, 04:23 PM   #1126
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

PKerr wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post

OK cool stats but of those 155,000 how many are murder/suicide/car accident/fire and so on with potential head trauma?

That and we have seen that some reanimate quickly and then others take days, I find it hard to believe that it would spread so quickly and not be contained.

I get that George bites Bill and Bill bites Suzy and so on but somewhere along the lines G.I. Joe or Billy Bob redneck is going to step in an kill 10-20 in a ratio comparison.
Let alone Attack helicopter/tank Vs. Herd, me thinks that would be pretty one sided.
Heck a tank would never have to fire, just drive around.
There are a couple of things you have to consider. First would be this taking a foothold before anyone realizes what is going on. Hospital staff would be the first to go because they are the front line to the first cases.

Also there is the human factor. People will be in shock at the horror of the situation, and will not react rationally. Many will elect to be with their families rather than where they are supposed to be.

A lack of knowledge will also allow this to spread. Head shots are not the first thought of anyone firing a gun, especially those using automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Tearing up a walking corpse by torso shots, and having it keep on coming may discourage many shooters, and they may give up shooting before trying a more difficult head shot.

I think in the first week or so is when the zombies will maximize their numbers, due to fear and ignorance of the situation. Then it will become very difficult to effectively eradicate them.

Even with an attack helicopter, only head shots will stop them. you may chew them up a bit, but if they can move, they will keep moving.

So there were never any Zombie movies in this universes?
practically everyone knows you have to shoot them in the head.
no there isn't. That is why they don't call them zombies.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 04:55 PM   #1127
PKerr
Rear Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post

There are a couple of things you have to consider. First would be this taking a foothold before anyone realizes what is going on. Hospital staff would be the first to go because they are the front line to the first cases.

Also there is the human factor. People will be in shock at the horror of the situation, and will not react rationally. Many will elect to be with their families rather than where they are supposed to be.

A lack of knowledge will also allow this to spread. Head shots are not the first thought of anyone firing a gun, especially those using automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Tearing up a walking corpse by torso shots, and having it keep on coming may discourage many shooters, and they may give up shooting before trying a more difficult head shot.

I think in the first week or so is when the zombies will maximize their numbers, due to fear and ignorance of the situation. Then it will become very difficult to effectively eradicate them.

Even with an attack helicopter, only head shots will stop them. you may chew them up a bit, but if they can move, they will keep moving.

So there were never any Zombie movies in this universes?
practically everyone knows you have to shoot them in the head.
no there isn't. That is why they don't call them zombies.
OIC
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 06:27 PM   #1128
sojourner
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
1. Walkers have a rudimentary hive mind
No.
Old February 18 2013, 06:39 PM   #1129
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

Carol's hope came to be; I bet that gun's still loaded.
Old February 18 2013, 07:27 PM   #1130
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

whatever movement/odor/energy sense used by the walkers should have set season two's conclusion in motion long before the time period in that episode, or at least a version of the invasion.
It did...watch the season 2 finale again.
Old February 18 2013, 07:48 PM   #1131
FreezeC77
Commodore

Was anyone else pretty underwhelmed by the zombie dump in the prison by Woodbury? I mean when I saw the truck go crashing through the gate I figured it would have guys in full on military body armor jump out and try to take-over the prison... Then we got a buncha walkers and is it supposed to be something "OMG. LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO THE PRISON?" effect on the viewer?

Darn Woodbury they just dumped a couple dozen walkers into a prison yard where the group have already killed 10 times...20 times... or more that many walkers already.

It's almost like they just dumped a flaming bag of poop on their doorstep and rang the bell and then ran away.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:59 PM   #1132
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I loved the scenes with Daryl and Merle, and the fact that Daryl is clearly the more competent of the two. He DID have the right direction, after all. I liked the scene where Daryl saves the family and tells Merle off.

I'm interested to see just how long Merle will last with the other survivors. Not too long, I would imagine.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:59 PM   #1133
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Was anyone else pretty underwhelmed by the zombie dump in the prison by Woodbury? I mean when I saw the truck go crashing through the gate I figured it would have guys in full on military body armor jump out and try to take-over the prison... Then we got a buncha walkers and is it supposed to be something "OMG. LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO THE PRISON?" effect on the viewer?

Darn Woodbury they just dumped a couple dozen walkers into a prison yard where the group have already killed 10 times...20 times... or more that many walkers already.

It's almost like they just dumped a flaming bag of poop on their doorstep and rang the bell and then ran away.
I don't think the Governor wants to kill them so quick, he wants to terrify them and torture them.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 08:03 PM   #1134
the G-man
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
1. Walkers have a rudimentary hive mind
No.
I am happy to be proven wrong on this point. However, several things had led me to think this was "canon" at this point (or as "canon" as anything about the walkers is at this point):

1. Both Shane and Jim had flashes of zombies as they died as if they were seeing things through the eyes of other walkers.
2. The way that a walker will react to something almost wordlessly and the zombies nearby will seem to pick up on it.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 08:27 PM   #1135
Borgminister

"wordlessly"?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 08:29 PM   #1136
the G-man
Commodore

Walker sees human, walker reacts without saying anything because they can't talk, other walkers start turning around and reacting as well.

You might get a hiss or grunt out of one, but nothing that would suggestion verbal communication was used
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 09:33 PM   #1137
sojourner
Vice Admiral

They're just attracted to motion/sound in general. Regardless of the source. No "hive mind" needed.
Old February 18 2013, 09:51 PM   #1138
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I loved the scenes with Daryl and Merle, and the fact that Daryl is clearly the more competent of the two. He DID have the right direction, after all. I liked the scene where Daryl saves the family and tells Merle off.

I'm interested to see just how long Merle will last with the other survivors. Not too long, I would imagine.
I find Merle to be one of the more entertaining characters on the show so I hope he sticks around for a while.
Old February 18 2013, 10:05 PM   #1139
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Besides, I think everyone is missing the most important aspect of the episode, Daryl is back and saw Merle for what he really is
That is: Merle doesn't know Yellow Jacket Creek when he sees it.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 10:07 PM   #1140
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think it's funny how Merle is full of malice but seems low on guile and deceit. Like he's very upfront to everyone about being an asshole even when it's not to his advantage.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote