Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 5 2013, 04:50 AM   #61
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Actually I think that "what if we had irrefutable proof that God exists" is a valid and interesting story element.
Under the right writer, certainly.

Under RDM, no, it just turned into a magical wand to solve whatever the plot needed it too.
Old February 5 2013, 05:57 AM   #62
Ketrick
Lieutenant Commander

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Had they taken the TOS path and included an extra layer of "enlightened beings", like the Ship of Lights and Count Iblis as being the chess-masters of the universe and the Head characters as their heralds, they still would have gotten a similar bang for their spiritual buck without going completely down the Deus ex Mahchina rabbit hole and employ the untenable God concept as a quick fix for all the world's problems.
I thought this might happen too. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I would certainly take it over the finished product.

I still think, to this day, that Babylon Five did the best job of addressing spiritual belief with respect. Don't think any other show has come close - maybe DS9, but distantly.
It was all right; JMS can be a little samey sometimes so lots of people saying, "I dunno, I'd like to, I was raised Jewish/Protestant/Foundationist," and the like. The best B5 religion thing is how Neroon screams, "But my heaaarrrtt is REEELLLLLLIGGGGIIIIIOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUSSSSSS!" Pretty good character overall; totally embarrassing moment.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
DS9 did it fine. The Prophets are wormhole aliens that have access to a wormhole and view time outside of linear form. It was the way BSG flat out drew a distinction between science and God magic that alienated me.
Yeah, the difference between how DS9 did it and BSG is huge. DS9 gave us a phenomneon and then showed how different people interpret it. BSG gave us disjointed plots and then "explained" Point A to Point B was because God willed it. Gimme a break.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Brought back Starbuck
They totally used God-the-character as a cop-out for this clusterfuck of a plotline. Starbuck's death, resurrection, status angel who isn't Starbuck who's body is over there but is Starbuck cause she remembers the piano, and all that bullshit was a joke. It took what was a really good character circa S1-2 and turned her into a plot question mark (who is this Starbuck?! never explained really, was it actually Starbuck's consciousness or some kind of "angel" who believed it was Starbuck)/plot deus ex machina (how can remembering some random note sequence you wrote as a child help you find FTL coordinates to an identical world; err, God did it!).
I don't think RDM's and David Eick's intention was that God really did it. I believe their intention was to leave it open-ended as to who it was (from my understanding of the commentaries) . They felt they had boxed themselves in and any answer they gave would have sucked and been unpopular so they felt they'd just leave everything mysterious. Personally, I would have preferred a real answer. Either way, it sucked.
Ketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:18 AM   #63
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

You think B5 approached religious belief with respect?

B5's religious belief was 'positive fanaticism'. The Minbari needed a religious sign not to commit genocide and because it happened prior to the start of the series that makes them unquestioned protagonists.

And then they resolved the caste war by giving one caste an unquestioned majority.

I'm a huge fan of B5, but I think the Bajorans are a far more positive presentation of religion. Both B5 and BSG portray religion as inherently fanatical.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; February 5 2013 at 06:37 AM.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:13 PM   #64
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Yes...as said above or implied, I don't think it was 'a magical wand'. It was 'effect'. A mystery. I don't need everything spelled out for me. Between the acting, the story, the music...I'm just fine with effect.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:51 AM   #65
rramarr
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to rramarr

I thought this thread was about Ronald D.Moore and the future of Star Trek. I'm all about underlying subjects but this is going too far.
Old February 18 2013, 06:53 PM   #66
Loci2378
Ensign

When a new Star Trek Series will happen, I whould love to see him involved as a Executive Producer/Creator/Writer. Not only because he know Trek, even more because of his very well written Episodes in the Past of Trek.
I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey — reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
Loci2378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:15 PM   #67
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I watched Waltz earlier. Makes Orci and Kurtzman's shlock seem even more cookie cutter.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:46 PM   #68
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I watched Waltz earlier. Makes Orci and Kurtzman's shlock seem even more cookie cutter.
Why not simply enjoy each one for what it is instead of pitting them against each other? I don't use my enjoyment of 'Amok Time' as a reason to cut Voyager apart.
Old February 18 2013, 08:21 PM   #69
yousirname
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why not simply enjoy each one for what it is instead of pitting them against each other? I don't use my enjoyment of 'Amok Time' as a reason to cut Voyager apart.

In this case it's more like using City on the Edge of Forever to dump on TMP.

yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote