Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 17 2013, 08:50 PM   #211
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: "Best of both Worlds" - Special Bluray Release

Im going to consider this release as an unofficial 13th Star Trek MOVIE. Proudly will buy the individual Bluray as well as the season 3 disc.

RAMA
Old February 18 2013, 01:39 AM   #212
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Two questions:
1. Can someone inform me what the specific problem is with the remastered shot form Where Silence Has Lease?
Well, here's the shot as done by HTV which looks overly bright, sharp and plastic looking with virtually no grain (click to enlarge):

And here's the shot adjusted by me to make it look more like the miniature with some added grain (click to enlarge):

If you open them both as separate tabs, you can click back and forth between them.

2. Do you think that, for BOBW, they will fix the whole "center of town" reference, and place the away team in the center of the crater rather than near it to reflect O-Brien's dialogue?
Nope. We've already seen the remastered shot with the orignal matte painting:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/bo...ilerhd_015.jpg
Old February 18 2013, 04:39 AM   #213
Tiberius
Commodore

2. Do you think that, for BOBW, they will fix the whole "center of town" reference, and place the away team in the center of the crater rather than near it to reflect O-Brien's dialogue?
There's no need. Who's to say that the big hole wasn't just for the reactor and such, while the houses for the colony were all on the other side? That way, they could well be at the center of town, but the big underground part was only on one side.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 04:41 PM   #214
F. King Daniel
Admiral

This has probably been discussed to death, but has anyone else noticed that the CG interior of the Borg ship features First Contact/Voyager-style Borg alcoves (with green zappy things) and not the kind seen in Next Generation?
Old February 18 2013, 04:43 PM   #215
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
This has probably been discussed to death, but has anyone else noticed that the CG interior of the Borg ship features First Contact/Voyager-style Borg alcoves (with green zappy things) and not the kind seen in Next Generation?
Yeah. Kinda pisses me off as their was no reason to make the change. Especially since we see the TNG acloves in close-ups.
Old February 18 2013, 05:06 PM   #216
Jeyl
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Yeah. Kinda pisses me off as their was no reason to make the change. Especially since we see the TNG acloves in close-ups.
It's like no one in charge of Star Trek ever wants to explore the idea that the Borg over the course of time actually CHANGE. That's how I always interpreted why they look different from one series to another. Assimilating other cultures and technologies, the looks would have to adapt as well.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:35 PM   #217
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

With each appearance of the Borg, they got more convoluted.

First, they were bees. Technology was their pollen. Humans were ignored, just like a bee would ignore you until you swatted at it.

Then in BOBW, they changed by assimilating people. Yet they retained the "they will ignore us until they view us as a threat" part of the Borg, which no longer makes sense if their goal is to assimilate PEOPLE. People became the "pollen."

I, Borg and Descent just confirms what we saw at the end of BOBW - that a Borg drone can regain individuality.

Then in First Contact, we're introduced to many things. First, they have the ability to time travel - so why did they fly all the way to 24th century Earth when they could have assimilated the past from any place in the past?

Then they added a queen. That's a good way to prevent how they lost the last time. They were tricked into regenerating. If there's an individual at the top, she could prevent that vulnerability. Except the movie claimed there was always a queen, and was on the original cube, which is dumb. How does an individual fall for the same "sleep" command as the collective? The retcons make no sense.

Then there was Voyager, which I would like to forget. Even when the Borg want to assimilate humanoids at every encounter, they'll still ignore you on their ship until you act threatening. Whatever.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 01:32 AM   #218
Flake
Commodore

Tiberius wrote: View Post
There's no need. Who's to say that the big hole wasn't just for the reactor and such, while the houses for the colony were all on the other side? That way, they could well be at the center of town, but the big underground part was only on one side.
You would have thought that they would have noticed there IS no town to be in the centre of from orbit ! Mr O'Brien can't see shit and does not know where hes beaming you.. he just taps his co-ordinates in and then presses the button Then he twiddles his thumbs in the Transporter room pretending to be busy waiting for the next planet to beam something to...
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 11:29 PM   #219
Robert Comsol
Commodore

jimbotron wrote: View Post
With each appearance of the Borg, they got more convoluted.

First, they were bees. Technology was their pollen. Humans were ignored, just like a bee would ignore you until you swatted at it.

Then in BOBW, they changed by assimilating people. Yet they retained the "they will ignore us until they view us as a threat" part of the Borg, which no longer makes sense if their goal is to assimilate PEOPLE. People became the "pollen."
Essentially I share your criticism, the introduction of the Queen Bee in ST VIII (ALIENS anyone?) didn't help to make the Borg more interesting, IMHO.

Where I cannot agree is your conclusion regarding BOBW. In "Q Who" the Borg suddenly assumed that the Federation had something they didn't know previously: "Q drive".

They pulled the data from the ship's computer and still found nothing. Apparently they had to resort to other means to access this information (which of course did not exist) and started to assimilate and set course for Earth where they expected to get the "Q drive" information. Just my 0.02 $.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:15 PM   #220
Mott the barber
Commodore

Yeah and it's a re-used re-vamp from S2 "Q-Who?"
Old March 15 2013, 12:17 PM   #221
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I'm looking forward to seeing it on blu ray.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote