MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 16 2013, 07:10 AM   #1111
JD
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I can understand wanting to keep the possibilities open when it comes to what's going on outside of TWD's limited setting, I just think it would be nice if we got a little bit of an idea of what's going on elsewhere. I don't need everything broken down in detail, just a little tidbit here and there would be nice. That is one thing I've liked better about Revolution, there's been some cluse about what's going on outside of where the heroes are, and from what the people involved with it have said, the scope will increase as the show goes on.
Old February 16 2013, 03:36 PM   #1112
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I can understand wanting to keep the possibilities open when it comes to what's going on outside of TWD's limited setting, I just think it would be nice if we got a little bit of an idea of what's going on elsewhere. I don't need everything broken down in detail, just a little tidbit here and there would be nice.
That goes back to the issue of the producers/writers moving away from expectations based on logic: no amount of suspension of disbelief can make audiences think the entire U.S. landscape are mirrors Rick's group, Woodbury and/or the bar room thugs. It appears the producers feel the moment that realistic option comes to the table, the entire "struggling / hanging on a thread" idea loses much of its dramatic edge, as it would give characters reasons to leave (long before the current season), and the zombie outbreak not as bad.

Hershel's farm and the small number of walkers contained in the barn also makes one wonder just how many are shuffling around; Hershel's group had to leave the property to catch random walkers, yet in all of the time before the arrival of Rick's group, there were no mass groups invading the farm.

This poses somewhat of a problem: it has been established that the walkers sense the living, and follow them until contact is made. After Hershel's group had been exploring the woods finding walkers, whatever movement/odor/energy sense used by the walkers should have set season two's conclusion in motion long before the time period in that episode, or at least a version of the invasion.

It appears walker movement/detection is changed to fit the story, without realizing the audience does not gloss over details, contradictions, etc.
Old February 18 2013, 04:27 AM   #1113
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Strange bedfellows time.
Old February 18 2013, 05:43 AM   #1114
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hmm, romantic competition for Carol? Should be interesting when Daryl returns. *BAM* ... never mind

They really make file cabinets well these days.

Watching Talking Dead, even as a straight guy I gotta say Joe Manganiello is one handsome dude.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 07:33 AM   #1115
sojourner
Vice Admiral

LOL, the strangest thought I had for the episode - "Hey! they got a new truck!"
Old February 18 2013, 11:03 AM   #1116
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Hmm, romantic competition for Carol? Should be interesting when Daryl returns. *BAM* ... never mind
Well, they used up the last of their throwaway convict supply. Aside from a shock death among the main group, Tyrese's gang should start digging graves.

They really make file cabinets well these days.
No kidding. Maggie could have turned that into a suit of armor, and Iron Man-ed her way across the yard to take on one-eye for herself.
Old February 18 2013, 01:39 PM   #1117
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Amazing how our team of expert shots suddenly can't hit a damn thing as soon as it is important.

Tyrese and his gang just vanished, not even a mention of them outside of going over where they got in on the map.

In theory it was a good episode, but shit like that really undermines the impact.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:12 PM   #1118
the G-man
Commodore

This poses somewhat of a problem: it has been established that the walkers sense the living, and follow them until contact is made. After Hershel's group had been exploring the woods finding walkers, whatever movement/odor/energy sense used by the walkers should have set season two's conclusion in motion long before the time period in that episode, or at least a version of the invasion.

It appears walker movement/detection is changed to fit the story, without realizing the audience does not gloss over details, contradictions, etc.
Has it been established? As I understood it, all we really know is:
1. Walkers have a rudimentary hive mind
2. Walkers tend to congregate over time.
3. They are attracted to noise
4. If close enough to food they can smell it.
5. Their sense of smell, however, is pretty close range and covering someone in zombie guts or having a 'tame' zombie nearby can fool it
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:16 PM   #1119
PKerr
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Not that it really matters, because he wouldn't have lasted a week without the support equipment, IV fluids, etc. "He was just lucky" is equally stupid. Because the writers didn't bother to explain the magic scenario, the viewers are trying...
Exactly which is why viewers are equally as confused on the passage of time in the prison. Is Rick still going insane after a week - 2 weeks in the prison - how long?

Some of the posters here have suggested it's only been 1 week since Andrea/Michonne got to Woodbury - Lori dies - baby is born - they go get the formula - Rick has faux conversations with folks on phone - Glenn and Maggie are held prisoner - Tyreese and company show up - Daryl gets captured - Merle and Daryl head off into the woods - Rick sees Lori in wedding gown on prison balcony.

Like with Carl's amazing recovery - the passage of time simply doesn't make sense - at least to me.
I always took the passage of time in the hospital that Rick was in the coma a month/s prior to the outbreak and a week or so after Shane escaped and shoved the bed against the door.

What confused me was why did the military feel it necessary to start executing medal personnel, if they were overrun and pulling out wouldn't it make sense to take some if not all (or as many) medical folks as you could to try and treat/cure whatever was going on?

I'd also like some sort of explanation as to how it spread so fast.
Did the initial outbreak kill a bunch of people? OR
Did it reanimate the already dead? If so how would that be possible?
Was it world wide or did it escape some facility somewhere?

If it escaped a facility somewhere how did it get world wide so quickly?
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 03:02 PM   #1120
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I thought the episode was a little aimless until the last 10 minutes. Wow! It wound up being a great ending.

Up until that point I was enjoying Glenn's 'dark' turn. I was disappointed with Rick going off the deep end and how Michonne was being handled-yet again. She finally gets some dialogue at the beginning of the show and then just disappears throughout most of the rest. Glad that the convict got some screen time before they killed him off. Wasn't expecting that. I was thinking that there be a new love interest for Carol.

I really enjoyed the Governor and how he was just standing tall as the bullets were flying. He really doesn't care anymore. He just wants to inflict as much pain on Rick's group as he can it seems.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 03:09 PM   #1121
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

PKerr wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Not that it really matters, because he wouldn't have lasted a week without the support equipment, IV fluids, etc. "He was just lucky" is equally stupid. Because the writers didn't bother to explain the magic scenario, the viewers are trying...
Exactly which is why viewers are equally as confused on the passage of time in the prison. Is Rick still going insane after a week - 2 weeks in the prison - how long?

Some of the posters here have suggested it's only been 1 week since Andrea/Michonne got to Woodbury - Lori dies - baby is born - they go get the formula - Rick has faux conversations with folks on phone - Glenn and Maggie are held prisoner - Tyreese and company show up - Daryl gets captured - Merle and Daryl head off into the woods - Rick sees Lori in wedding gown on prison balcony.

Like with Carl's amazing recovery - the passage of time simply doesn't make sense - at least to me.
I always took the passage of time in the hospital that Rick was in the coma a month/s prior to the outbreak and a week or so after Shane escaped and shoved the bed against the door.

What confused me was why did the military feel it necessary to start executing medal personnel, if they were overrun and pulling out wouldn't it make sense to take some if not all (or as many) medical folks as you could to try and treat/cure whatever was going on?

I always imagined it was a biological attack of some sort.

Since everyone is infected, I would think it's an airborne pathogen. And as 12 Monkeys showed us, the best way to disseminate something like that is at an international airport.

I would expect if it was an attack, it would replicate quickly. So release it in the terminals, and let it find thousands of hosts headed all over the world. And once planes with the infected land, the pathogen spreads out and infects others. I could see the infection being loose in every city with a large airport world wide within 24 hours.

I wouldn't key the pathogen to kill, just infect. Let it do it's job when someone dies. This site tells us about 155,000 people die a day. And the number would go up when the dead don't stay dead and create more like them.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 03:33 PM   #1122
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

Since everyone is infected, I would think it's an airborne pathogen. And as 12 Monkeys showed us, the best way to disseminate something like that is at an international airport.

I would expect if it was an attack, it would replicate quickly. So release it in the terminals, and let it find thousands of hosts headed all over the world. And once planes with the infected land, the pathogen spreads out and infects others. I could see the infection being loose in every city with a large airport world wide within 24 hours.

I wouldn't key the pathogen to kill, just infect. Let it do it's job when someone dies. This site tells us about 155,000 people die a day. And the number would go up when the dead don't stay dead and create more like them.
OK cool stats but of those 155,000 how many are murder/suicide/car accident/fire and so on with potential head trauma?

That and we have seen that some reanimate quickly and then others take days, I find it hard to believe that it would spread so quickly and not be contained.

I get that George bites Bill and Bill bites Suzy and so on but somewhere along the lines G.I. Joe or Billy Bob redneck is going to step in an kill 10-20 in a ratio comparison.
Let alone Attack helicopter/tank Vs. Herd, me thinks that would be pretty one sided.
Heck a tank would never have to fire, just drive around.
Old February 18 2013, 04:11 PM   #1123
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

OK cool stats but of those 155,000 how many are murder/suicide/car accident/fire and so on with potential head trauma?

That and we have seen that some reanimate quickly and then others take days, I find it hard to believe that it would spread so quickly and not be contained.

I get that George bites Bill and Bill bites Suzy and so on but somewhere along the lines G.I. Joe or Billy Bob redneck is going to step in an kill 10-20 in a ratio comparison.
Let alone Attack helicopter/tank Vs. Herd, me thinks that would be pretty one sided.
There are a couple of things you have to consider. First would be this taking a foothold before anyone realizes what is going on. Hospital staff would be the first to go because they are the front line to the first cases.

Also there is the human factor. People will be in shock at the horror of the situation, and will not react rationally. Many will elect to be with their families rather than where they are supposed to be.

A lack of knowledge will also allow this to spread. Head shots are not the first thought of anyone firing a gun, especially those using automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Tearing up a walking corpse by torso shots, and having it keep on coming may discourage many shooters, and they may give up shooting before trying a more difficult head shot.

I think in the first week or so is when the zombies will maximize their numbers, due to fear and ignorance of the situation. Then it will become very difficult to effectively eradicate them.

Even with an attack helicopter, only head shots will stop them. you may chew them up a bit, but if they can move, they will keep moving.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 04:19 PM   #1124
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

The premise is that society has been destroyed and there is nothing left but little groups of survivors. Either you accept the initial premise of the show or you don't. Wanting them to go back and explain the premise a few season's in just isn't what the show is.

Besides, I think everyone is missing the most important aspect of the episode, Daryl is back and saw Merle for what he really is in less than one episode.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 04:21 PM   #1125
PKerr
Rear Admiral

There are a couple of things you have to consider. First would be this taking a foothold before anyone realizes what is going on. Hospital staff would be the first to go because they are the front line to the first cases.

Also there is the human factor. People will be in shock at the horror of the situation, and will not react rationally. Many will elect to be with their families rather than where they are supposed to be.

A lack of knowledge will also allow this to spread. Head shots are not the first thought of anyone firing a gun, especially those using automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Tearing up a walking corpse by torso shots, and having it keep on coming may discourage many shooters, and they may give up shooting before trying a more difficult head shot.

I think in the first week or so is when the zombies will maximize their numbers, due to fear and ignorance of the situation. Then it will become very difficult to effectively eradicate them.

Even with an attack helicopter, only head shots will stop them. you may chew them up a bit, but if they can move, they will keep moving.

So there were never any Zombie movies in this universes?
practically everyone knows you have to shoot them in the head.