To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old February 18 2013, 02:38 PM   #76
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: 3 engine rooms in the TOS Enterprise's engineering hull?

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Edit: "The Immunity Syndrome" with the backward facing engine room has the larger barrel facing away from the cathedral...
I think you are having the scene in mind where Kirk enters the engine room. But we do not know which engine room that is.

If I'm not mistaken the decisive scene here was the point of view from the (impulse and warp drive) EMM.
Unfortunately () the console and Scotty really block a good view of the dcca-housing, so it's hard or impossible to tell which "barrel" is next to the cathedral.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:42 PM   #77
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Indeed, fine eyes! I wonder what they used to be in real life before being "acquired" by the TOS props department?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:50 PM   #78
blssdwlf
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Edit: "The Immunity Syndrome" with the backward facing engine room has the larger barrel facing away from the cathedral...
I think you are having the scene in mind where Kirk enters the engine room. But we do not know which engine room that is.

If I'm not mistaken the decisive scene here was the point of view from the (impulse and warp drive) EMM.
Unfortunately () the console and Scotty really block a good view of the dcca-housing, so it's hard or impossible to tell which "barrel" is next to the cathedral.

Bob
The one I'm thinking of is when Kirk enters the engine room and gets thrown back to the door because of the reverse effect. (Thus the engine room is facing backwards as you spotted earlier.) As Kirk and Scotty walk to the control panels, you can see the larger barrel facing away from the cathedral as the camera pivots around it.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...romehd0458.jpg
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:52 PM   #79
blssdwlf
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
Indeed, fine eyes! I wonder what they used to be in real life before being "acquired" by the TOS props department?
Maybe some kind of protective case or tire cover?
Old February 19 2013, 09:18 AM   #80
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The one I'm thinking of is when Kirk enters the engine room and gets thrown back to the door because of the reverse effect.
In the scene you mention all I can see (and I watched it several times) is that Kirk is being thrown to the right and Scotty falls off his chair to the left.

IMHO, this scene is totally inconclusive and would rather indicate a sideways engine room (and even then it would remain inconclusive whether the engine room is to the port or starboard side of the ship).

The decisive scene remains the forward acceleration effect we first see on the bridge (bridge personnel being pushed into their chairs) which is immediately followed by the scene in the engine room where Scotty is pushed to the left, suggesting a bow "cathedral".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 09:33 AM   #81
blssdwlf
Commodore

Oh, I thought you were saying you couldn't tell which way the large barrel was in that room (the one Kirk enters). You're actually saying that room isn't facing backwards but sideways or is unknown in facing. Gotcha.

The room we see later from the EMM, yeah, the console is in the way.
Old December 8 2013, 12:24 AM   #82
astarguy
Ensign

ok i have a question. how much dilithium does a starship need to carry at any one time? and also what other fuels (excluding batteries) does it need for a 5 year mission? one last thing does it always need to be in solid form or is a liquid or gas be ok?
astarguy is offline   Reply With Quote