Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 15 2013, 05:12 AM   #76
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Pope

Also it took courage for Ratzinger to desert the German army. That in itself provided severe risk to his life, because he would have been executed if caught. So doesn't that count for something?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:14 AM   #77
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youthas membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939[14]—but was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings, according to his brother.[15] In 1941, one of Ratzinger's cousins, a 14-year-old boy with Down syndrome, was taken away by the Nazi regime and murdered during the Action T4 campaign of Nazi eugenics.[16] In 1943, while still in seminary, he was drafted into the German anti-aircraft corps as Luftwaffenhelfer (air force child soldier).[15] Ratzinger then trained in the German infantry.[17] As the Allied front drew closer to his post in 1945, he deserted back to his family's home in Traunstein after his unit had ceased to exist, just as American troops established their headquarters in the Ratzinger household
Joining the Hitler Youth was like being on facebook. Everyone did it.

I don't think too many 14 year olds would make a stand and die over such a thing.

I have nothing nice to say about the pope but he wasn't a nazi. There's plenty or real stuff to trash him over.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:20 AM   #78
Jan
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
The Catholic Church considers the Pope a perfect successor to Saint Peter... infallible. A perfect person, even a Saint, should be willing to die for the cause of Christ. Ratzinger did NOT do that
Sorry, that's absolutely wrong. Successor to Peter, yes. Perfect person...no more so than Peter was. Remember him? Denied Jesus three times? Yeah, that Peter. As for infallibility, that's only under certain specific circumstances, none of which apply to a 14-year-old seminarian.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:23 AM   #79
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Also it took courage for Ratzinger to desert the German army. That in itself provided severe risk to his life, because he would have been executed if caught. So doesn't that count for something?
When he ignored child rape an child torture? No.
Old February 15 2013, 04:42 PM   #80
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
The Catholic Church considers the Pope a perfect successor to Saint Peter... infallible. A perfect person, even a Saint, should be willing to die for the cause of Christ. Ratzinger did NOT do that
Sorry, that's absolutely wrong. Successor to Peter, yes. Perfect person...no more so than Peter was. Remember him? Denied Jesus three times? Yeah, that Peter. As for infallibility, that's only under certain specific circumstances, none of which apply to a 14-year-old seminarian.

Jan
Sector 7, Jan is correct. Infallibility means that the pope does not err when he speaks ex cathedra (in his official/public capacity), defining some doctrine of faith or morals. And there are some limitations even within that.

Infallibility has nothing to do with perfection as a person, or with anything unofficial that the pope says. Benedict himself has pointed out that his books -- some written after he became pope -- are not infallible or even church dogma, just the opinions of a theologian.

Also, some courageous people's standing up for their principles/beliefs, even at the risk of death, doesn't mean that the natural human instinct isn't to preserve one's life. Part of why we admire martyrs is that they have chosen the less instinctive, more difficult way.

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; February 15 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 01:47 AM   #81
Bisz
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
NAZI Pope is leaving to be replaced by another asshole who that hates women, hates gays, hates Jews, hates Muslims, hates science, hates health and safety.

I hope he dies a slow painful death from his version of a vengeful god.

The fact people still care about stupid things like the Pope scares me.
The fact there are people on the internet as proud to share their next to criminal ignorance with the world as you just have... doesn't surprise me. It does sadden me though.
Old February 18 2013, 02:31 AM   #82
Maestro
Vice Admiral

- Paul, crucified upside down, because he felt unworthy to die the same death as Jesus Christ.
You are incorrect. Christian tradition holds that the Apostle Paul was martyred, likely by beheading. There is no documented evidence that he was crucified. The only evidence of his death that we have is in the writings of St. Ignatius, whose writings noted the death and martyrdom of Paul.
Old February 18 2013, 08:48 AM   #83
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Maestro wrote: View Post
- Paul, crucified upside down, because he felt unworthy to die the same death as Jesus Christ.
You are incorrect. Christian tradition holds that the Apostle Paul was martyred, likely by beheading. There is no documented evidence that he was crucified. The only evidence of his death that we have is in the writings of St. Ignatius, whose writings noted the death and martyrdom of Paul.
Sector 7 meant St. Peter. Peter is said to have been crucified upside down. St. Paul was beheaded as you say.
Old February 19 2013, 12:39 AM   #84
Maestro
Vice Admiral

What you think he meant and what he said are two very different things in this case. In fact, this mistake may very well impeach his argument.
Old February 19 2013, 01:02 AM   #85
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Even though the 'prophecy of the popes' is almost certainly a bunch of BS (like anything Nostradamus ever wrote), I think the next pope had better think of a non-"Peter" name to use...

I'm really hoping for George Ringo, to offset the two John Pauls we've already had.
Old February 19 2013, 01:03 AM   #86
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I was always more of a Monkeys fan, myself.
Old February 19 2013, 01:09 AM   #87
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Never really understood the concept of the Pope either. Mere mortals appoint him by worldly standards, with a hint of political intrigue. As someone living in the 21st century, I'm asking myself what authority that particular guy has over anyone.

But on the other hand, it is a very positive thing that a church as huge as the catholic church has one guy at the top that plots the course. Islam doesn't have that, which is why there are thousands of different directions and interpretations, the source of chaos and mayhem. I long for the day of the Muslim counterpart to the Pope.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 01:25 AM   #88
chardman
Vice Admiral

Vatican Stance on Evolution & Darwinism

The Vatican claims Darwin's theory of evolution is compatible with Christianity Telegraph article from 2009
Old February 19 2013, 01:50 AM   #89
chardman
Vice Admiral

Pope Allegedly Sought Immunity For Abuse Crimes Just Before Resigning LINK

Said immunity was sought because rumors has it that some international body was about to issue an arrest warrant for the Pope. Here's a link to a whole mess of links about such, via Google LINK
Old February 19 2013, 12:01 PM   #90
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Vatican Stance on Evolution & Darwinism

chardman wrote: View Post
The Vatican claims Darwin's theory of evolution is compatible with Christianity Telegraph article from 2009
Nobody makes a monkey out of me......and it's just coincidence that i'm having a bannana sandwhich for lunch. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote