MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade Blood & Chrome...
Excellent 43 34.96%
Above Average 53 43.09%
Average 24 19.51%
Below Average 3 2.44%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21 2013, 05:23 PM   #391
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

BSG did war less convincingly than it did everything else. As has been said before, soldiers spend most of their down time talking a lot and cracking tasteless jokes (see Generation Kill). BSG completely failed to pick up on this.
Old January 21 2013, 11:30 PM   #392
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I just got caught up on this. I was very pleasantly surprised. Although I had some problems with it, overall I thought it hung together really solidly, so I voted Excellent. I'd really like to see more.
Old January 23 2013, 05:33 PM   #393
Alex1939
Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
BSG did war less convincingly than it did everything else. As has been said before, soldiers spend most of their down time talking a lot and cracking tasteless jokes (see Generation Kill). BSG completely failed to pick up on this.
Completely? You exaggerate.

In Season 1 with the reporter episode there was plenty of cracking tasteless jokes.

In Season 3 with the bar stuff there was also plenty of tasteless jokes.

You've either forgotten or need to rewatch the series.
Old February 11 2013, 07:10 PM   #394
Opus
Commodore

^Yes. I think the card games with the smoking, drinking, foul language and sexual innuendo was implied as a regular ritual among the pilots and crew. And there was regular joking and hazing during CAG meetings as well.

I wish SyFy would reverse their decision. B&C was good. Perhaps they could make 3 or 4 TV movies of nuBSG instead of the MegaSuperDinoSharkzillamacallit movie crap. I know I'd tune in AND by it on DVD/BR.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old February 12 2013, 10:11 PM   #395
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Just watched this on Blu-ray - not bad at all so I voted above average. However, I can sort of understand why the suits didn't want to fund it as they probably thought it brought nothing new to the table and wouldn't sustain an audience. We've already seen as much of Bill Adama'a back story as we want or need, the other characters didn't seem that interesting, and the lead actor wasn't charismatic enough to carry a series.
Old February 12 2013, 10:26 PM   #396
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Oh, I dunno. I agree he wasn't as good as Nico Cortez might have been, but I think he could have come into his own had they gone into production. Pilots are rarely ever as good as regular series, giving the actors time to fill into their roles.

The only drawback I see is that everyone who knows the franchise knows what will ultimately happen to the Colonies in another 40-some years. That was also one of the problems with Caprica, or any prequel series for that matter. You always know that, in the end, whatever they do won't matter in the long run. It's just showing us the journey they took to get there.

That aside, I think it could have worked had they gotten a decent budget to play with and good writing.
Old February 16 2013, 08:16 PM   #397
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Okay... looks like this is actually happening.
I can't handle all this crazy sci-fi news. It seems like madness!
What I have seen it looks pretty good so far to me.
Old February 18 2013, 04:54 AM   #398
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I really liked the first half. Once they get to the RoboMegaSnake it quickly goes downhill.
Old February 19 2013, 06:12 PM   #399
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I watched it yesterday.

It may have benefitted from greatly reduced expectations, but I thought it was decent. It held my interest, anyway.

As others have said, the lead did not have enough of a presence to carry a series, IMHO.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 21 2013, 11:23 AM   #400
Skywalker
Admiral

I really enjoyed it. I agree that the first half was better, but overall I still thought it was fun. Much better than I was expecting given how long it took for this to release (I didn't watch it when it came out on YouTube, I decided to wait for the Blu-ray).

Luke Pasqualino didn't really blow me away or anything, but he wasn't awful, either. He wasn't Bill Adama, but the Bill Adama we know doesn't really exist yet. This is when he's supposed to grow into that man. Keeping that in mind, I liked what they tried to do with the character here. I also liked Coker, and I'm glad he survived.

I highly doubt this will ever go to series, but I would like to see them do a few more movies like this one.
Old February 21 2013, 03:45 PM   #401
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed it. I agree that the first half was better, but overall I still thought it was fun. Much better than I was expecting given how long it took for this to release (I didn't watch it when it came out on YouTube, I decided to wait for the Blu-ray).

Luke Pasqualino didn't really blow me away or anything, but he wasn't awful, either. He wasn't Bill Adama, but the Bill Adama we know doesn't really exist yet. This is when he's supposed to grow into that man. Keeping that in mind, I liked what they tried to do with the character here. I also liked Coker, and I'm glad he survived.

I highly doubt this will ever go to series, but I would like to see them do a few more movies like this one.
Agreed on pretty much everything. I too waited for he DVD to be released. I think it would be great if they did a couple/few more movies, and beefed up Luke Pasqualino, while changing him from a smartass punk into the Bill Adama we know

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old February 22 2013, 02:25 AM   #402
Opus
Commodore

How much more would it be to do quality movies of BSG vs. those crappy D&D movies they produced a few years back?

Also, these movies probably sell DVDs better too.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Old February 22 2013, 02:27 AM   #403
Aeolusdallas
Captain

OphaClyde wrote: View Post
How much more would it be to do quality movies of BSG vs. those crappy D&D movies they produced a few years back?

Also, these movies probably sell DVDs better too.
Their Saturday night "cheesy B-movies" are very popular and always profitable. BSG is critically acclaimed buy not very profitable.
Old February 22 2013, 12:05 PM   #404
Skywalker
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post

Agreed on pretty much everything. I too waited for he DVD to be released. I think it would be great if they did a couple/few more movies, and beefed up Luke Pasqualino, while changing him from a smartass punk into the Bill Adama we know
Yeah, I think if we were to get any more of this, one priority should be to have Pasqualino put on some muscle mass. Granted, he was only like 21 when he filmed B&C, but both Nico Cortez and Edward James Olmos were pretty brawny guys, so Pasqualino should bulk up a bit.

I really hope the Blu-ray/DVD sales do well enough to convince Syfy to fund another one of these. I'd love to see more of the Cylon War, and I imagine now that the production has done probably most of the legwork (building the digital sets, rendering various ships, etc.) in B&C, a sequel would be cheaper or at least easier to produce.
Old February 23 2013, 04:44 AM   #405
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I just finished watching it. I don't think it held up as well on second viewing. I agree the first half stuff, particularly on Galactica, was the best part. Deleted scenes weren't bad, even without the FX. We even get another reference to Caprica.