Kai Winn

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Feb 13, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have too many questions on Kai winn to list all at once... heres one question in particular

Think she saw the errors of her ways right before she died or not

On a side note... Any idea why Damar didnt TELL Kira to tell sisko about Dukat in disguise... Was it just vestigial loyalty to Dukat?

2. DavidLeeRoth

DavidLeeRoth Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well, she had no problem releasing the Pah-Wraiths until they rejected her. My guess is, if the choice was between Dukat and the Pah-Wraiths and the "Alpha Quadrant in flames" or accepting Sisko as the emissary to the prophets, she would rather go with the latter; which is what she did.

I don't think Dumar thought of mentioning Dukat to Kira. Dumar's main concern was freeing Cardassia from the Dominion, and Dukat asking to look like a Bajorian seemed irrelevant. And yes, he was still loyal to his old friend.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Kai Winn's first choice would have been to be the emissary herself, to gain power through the Prophets.

They told her to screw off, so she tried to gain power through the Pah'Wraiths.

But, Winn never cared about the Pah'Wraiths or wanted to destroy Bajor, she was seriously convinced they would just use her as their 'Emissary'. Had she known they were just using her she would never have gone along. So in a way she did 'the error of her ways' in that she was stupid and made a mistake, but I don't think she ever thought she was not entitled to their power.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what she would have done differently if she could go back.. really being used by either the pah wraiths or the prophets was not something she was ever going to be completely happy with.

5. WesleysDisciple

any guesses, why After the dominion plotline starts in earnest... bajors internal politics all but vanishes from DS9?

Ive noticed it happens almost suddenly... Id have liked seeing more factional infighting myself.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The factional fighting in the Terok Nor trilogy is great, very realistic.

Maybe they got rid of the internal politics because they realized so many Bajorans were dead dull.. for every Kai Winn there are a dozen Bareils and Shakaars.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I think that was one of the changes made to shore up ratings, along with Worf and The Defiant.

Many (even fans on this board) disliked the Bajoran Politics, and it apparently drove some away. I personally love Politics and Religion in my SciFi/Fantasy, but, it bores alot of folks :shrug:

8. Wicca who Wonta

Wicca who Wonta Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Kai Winn used religion and her beliefs to gain power. If she couldn't use religion she would have used something else. I don't think she saw the errors of her ways. She probably just thought she had bet on the wrong horse (i.e religion).

I think DS9 did an excellent job at showing the pros and cons of religion.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, why are all the Bajoran men so damn BORING? Every episode with Bareil or Shakaar put me to sleep!

What did Kira ever see in them? :lol:

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Memories of the Occupation and all the terrible things she had to do in The Resistance made it difficult for her to sleep at night. But the nights she had a date with on of them, she slept like a baby

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Paramount did audience research during early DS9 and they found out that many viewers disliked Bajoran politics/religion so they had the producers tone that stuff down.

12. WesleysDisciple

WE still managed to see the end of the 5-7th seasons incorporate bajoran religion.

13. garaks the best

garaks the best Lieutenant Red Shirt

Me too, i wish more scifi shows would include stuff like this as it adds more depth to universe they are in i think.

14. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm not sure if the question is regarding the Final Chapter specifically, but here's my answer, just in case. My understanding is that the writers made a mistake with the timing of things when they started the Final Chapter arc.

They thought at first that Dukat & Kai Winn's story could run concurrent with the Cardassian Rebellion story. But then it became obvious that Damar's story was a lot more complicated (those darn Cardassians!) and had to take place over a longer time period than what was going on with Dukat and Winn.

It's why they made Dukat blind there for a while in order to stretch out his story's timing so it would coincide with the end of the war. It's still rather awkward, unfortunately.

15. WesleysDisciple

Am rewatching Emissary right now, for the first time, now that I think of it, since high school maybe 13 or 14 years.

I think that the scene with him explaining the concept of time to the prophets would work better if this was NOT part of some grand scheme they cooked up...

MAybe it was just ONE Prophet, his mother who did so, but... still it seems devalued.

16. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Personally, like others have said, I think Kai Winn became obsessed with power. She was rejected by the Prophets, she was reject by Bajorans, and she finally thought she had found what she was looking for with the Pa'Wraiths.

I never felt a shred of sympathy for her over the entire series. She dug her own grave so to speak and even in her final moments she couldn't redeem herself.

17. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Costa-Mogin!!!!