Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 13 2013, 11:27 PM   #2071
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2013

I'd love to see a TV Space Opera based on Martin's Haviland Tuf series or McDevitt's Priscilla Hutchins series, but neither one is violent enough (and the last Tuf story was actually a parody of that when he returned to a planet to find that his prior adventure there had been twisted into an Abrams-style movie). The best bets for turning a classic Space Opera into a TV series are probably Niven's Known Space, Smith's Lensman series or de Camp's Planet Krishna. Australis would no doubt add Banks' Culture Series, and I wouldn't disagree with that.
Old February 14 2013, 12:04 AM   #2072
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Mike Vogel cast as the lead in Under the Dome.

Vogel will play Barbie, an Army veteran who is in Chester’s Mill on a mysterious mission.
That's funny, he looks more like Ken.

Is Bloodline going to be Tarantino style pulpy?

Strickland, repped by WME and Anonymous Content, will play Bird’s statuesque and strikingly beautiful mother Stella, who has been raised in a family descended from an ancient line of killers, brigands and mercenaries. The role is said to be in the vein of Uma Thurman’s The Bride from Kill Bill.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 02:12 AM   #2073
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'd really like to see HBO/Netflix/etc do an epic space opera based on a novel series.

More monsters in the Arctic! (Which made me wonder, which has more monsters by now, the North or South Pole?)

AMC has put in development The Terror, a drama series adaptation of the 2007 bestselling novel by Dan Simmons, which is being executive produced by Scott Free TV, Television 360 and feature producer Alexandra Milchan. Written by hot feature writer David Kajganich, The Terror is set in 1847 when the crew of a Royal Naval expedition to find the Arctic’s treacherous Northwest Passage discovers instead a monstrous predator – a cunning and vicious Gothic horror that stalks the ships in a desperate game of survival, the consequences of which could endanger the region and its native people forever.
So when is Michael Bay going to do a movie about a sudden plague monsters being freed from their Arctic/Antarctic prisons by global warming?
Funny you should mention that. I was watching the original fifties version of THE BLOB a few weeks ago. At the end, after the frozen Blob has been airlifted to North Pole, some general announces that the world is safe . . . "as long as the Arctic stays cold."

We are so screwed . . . .
Old February 14 2013, 10:23 AM   #2074
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Time for a sequel.
Old February 14 2013, 11:09 AM   #2075
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I wrote a fanfiction that in part suggested the Founders of the Dominion were a contraceptive gel for some massive spaceborne lifeform, that got out of hand.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 09:31 PM   #2076
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Guy writing fanfic is our Scary Thought for the Day.

Maybe they should rename it Breaking Dome.

CBS’ upcoming summer series Under The Dome has cast another key role. Breaking Bad‘s Dean Norris is set to star opposite Mike Vogel in the 13-episode series...Norris will play Big Jim, the successful owner of Chester’s Mill’s used car dealership who also is town councilman, an office he takes seriously.
Old February 14 2013, 11:41 PM   #2077
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

So, no connection with R2-D2: Beneath the Dome, then. This is something else.
Old February 15 2013, 04:37 AM   #2078
JD
Admiral

No idea what to make of this. Anyone read the book?

Melding globally-scaled action-adventure with the technology underlying sophisticated role-playing games and interweaving love stories, Reamde kicks off with a kidnapping triggering an attempt by family, friends and suspicious acquaintances to rescue the hostage who get ensnarled into a worldwide techno-hunt.
I haven't read the book, but I did find the description on Amazon.
Readme wrote:
Neal Stephenson, author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Anathem, returns to the terrain of his groundbreaking novels Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon to deliver a high-intensity, high-stakes, action-packed adventure thriller in which a tech entrepreneur gets caught in the very real crossfire of his own online war game.

In 1972, Richard Forthrast, the black sheep of an Iowa farming clan, fled to the mountains of British Columbia to avoid the draft. A skilled hunting guide, he eventually amassed a fortune by smuggling marijuana across the border between Canada and Idaho. As the years passed, Richard went straight and returned to the States after the U.S. government granted amnesty to draft dodgers. He parlayed his wealth into an empire and developed a remote resort in which he lives. He also created T’Rain, a multibillion-dollar, massively multiplayer online role-playing game with millions of fans around the world.

But T’Rain’s success has also made it a target. Hackers have struck gold by unleashing REAMDE, a virus that encrypts all of a player’s electronic files and holds them for ransom. They have also unwittingly triggered a deadly war beyond the boundaries of the game’s virtual universe—and Richard is at ground zero.

Racing around the globe from the Pacific Northwest to China to the wilds of northern Idaho and points in between, Reamde is a swift-paced thriller that traverses worlds virtual and real. Filled with unexpected twists and turns in which unforgettable villains and unlikely heroes face off in a battle for survival, it is a brilliant refraction of the twenty-first century, from the global war on terror to social media, computer hackers to mobsters, entrepreneurs to religious fundamentalists. Above all, Reamde is an enthralling human story—an entertaining and epic page-turner from the extraordinary Neal Stephenson.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 06:30 PM   #2079
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Thanks. I wondered what a "techno-hunt" is.
Old February 16 2013, 06:11 AM   #2080
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

What is the latest on the 11/22/63 film?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 06:42 PM   #2081
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy writing fanfic is our Scary Thought for the Day.

Maybe they should rename it Breaking Dome.

CBS’ upcoming summer series Under The Dome has cast another key role. Breaking Bad‘s Dean Norris is set to star opposite Mike Vogel in the 13-episode series...Norris will play Big Jim, the successful owner of Chester’s Mill’s used car dealership who also is town councilman, an office he takes seriously.
Well, there is a meth related subplot in Under the Dome.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 10:11 PM   #2082
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Tom Everett Scott Cast as Heroine's Doctor Dad in NBC's Bloodline Pilot

The Closer's Corey Reynolds Joins Fox's Delirium Drama
Old February 17 2013, 11:11 PM   #2083
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Roger Sterling's ex-trophy wife is cast as lead on Tomorrow People.

Tomorrow People is in the vein of X-Men and Heroes and revolves around several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, possessing special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to defeat the forces of evil. List will play Cara, the female member of the “Tomorrow People” group who has a sense of humor beneath her serious demeanor and seems to be a trustworthy ally.
"The" female member, the rest are all guys? Odd for a CW series. Anyway here's hoping it turns out better than Heroes.
Old February 18 2013, 04:19 AM   #2084
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Whatever happened to the Robert H. Wolfe project for Syfy?

Robert H. Wolfe -- Executive Producer/Writer After decades of war, the newly formed Unity Democracy orders a volatile mix of humans and trans-humans to lead the Starship Defender on an expedition in search of lost worlds requiring law and order.

I see no signs of it anywhere.

RAMA
Old February 18 2013, 04:20 AM   #2085
Christopher
Writer

^It's still in development, as far as I know.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote