IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 17 2013, 06:05 PM   #91
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Where do I start?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
sbk1234 wrote: View Post
My most recent episode was Amy's Choice. It's not that I think he's bad. It's just that in my mind, Tennant was perfect.
Welcome to the world of Who. Hopefully you'll grow to really like him.

You mean the ever popular which version is/was the best?
I don't know why that keeps coming up. Clearly the Sixth Doctor is the best.

Old February 17 2013, 06:14 PM   #92
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I guess my next step is Classic WHo. Then I'll be able to see how #6 measures up.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 06:45 PM   #93
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
My most recent episode was Amy's Choice. It's not that I think he's bad. It's just that in my mind, Tennant was perfect.
I was the same way three years ago. Smith eventually grew on me, and I'm sure he'll grow on you too.
Sure enough, I have just started season 6 and he HAS grown on me. By the way, are there any other seasons that haven't made it to Netflix, yet?
Series 6 is the last complete Series of 13 episodes. Then there was a Christmas Special 2011 The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe. In 2012 was the beginning 5 episodes of Series 7, and then a Christmas Special 2012 The Snowmen.

And that's what we're up to, in late March we continue with the other 8 episodes of Series 7

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 02:03 AM   #94
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I've got to figure out how to see those other Dr. Who productions that aren't on Netflix.

I think I need The Doctor!

Old February 18 2013, 03:13 AM   #95
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I've got to figure out how to see those other Dr. Who productions that aren't on Netflix.

I think I need The Doctor!
If you have Cable and BBCA, you can check your On Demand menu, or BBCA will likely have a Marathon in the Morning/Afternoon of The First airing of the first new episode (March 30?). The Christmas Special from 2011 The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe is pretty much standalone, and can be skipped if need be, but, 2012 Christmas Special The Snowmen is part of an ongoing arc, so should be watched after the first 5 episodes of S7 that aired in the Fall of 2012, prior to watching the Spring 2013 last 8 episodes of S7.

Old February 18 2013, 04:25 AM   #96
diankra
Commodore

And to point out something slightly obvious, if you're looking for an easy start on the original run, BBC America is running one story per Doctor each month this year, as detailed in another thread here. http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200980
Next up is Tomb of the Cybermen, an interesting story for two reasons: until 1992 it was missing, and was something of a holy grail for missing episode hunters; and more recently, Matt Smith watched it between getting the role and starting recording, loved it, and by all accounts let it have a major influence on his performance (and certainly his costume)...
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 12:12 AM   #97
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

While I'm here, I have another question that I don't know if has ever been adressed. I know the show has been on for 50 years. However, has it been established how long each incarnation of the Doctor has survived? If it's been real time, then the first Doctor would have lasted nearly 900 years, but the other 11 would have each lasted a fraction of 50 years each, which really isn't all that long. Of course, with all that pesky time travel, is there any way of knowing how long each particular Doctor lasted before regenerating?

Old February 22 2013, 12:28 AM   #98
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

While I'm here, I have another question that I don't know if has ever been adressed. I know the show has been on for 50 years. However, has it been established how long each incarnation of the Doctor has survived? If it's been real time, then the first Doctor would have lasted nearly 900 years, but the other 11 would have each lasted a fraction of 50 years each, which really isn't all that long. Of course, with all that pesky time travel, is there any way of knowing how long each particular Doctor lasted before regenerating?
NuWho has been pretty consistent with his aging. Classic Who was all over the map, with the Doctor Quoting himself as 900 something and then a Regeneration or two later claiming himself to be 700 something.

So, no, it's not really nailed down, especially if taken from the entire 50 year history of the show.

The First Doctor's body wore out from age, so, it's a good bet he lived a pretty long life before we saw him onscreen. The Second Doctor was force Regenerated, and the rest have all Regenerated from a Mortal Peril. Anytime you see The Doctor take off in his TARDIS alone, even if he returns a second later, it's possible he could've been out there having adventures for 100s of years in that 1 second of show time, but, if we always see a Doctor get into the TARDIS and travel with a Human Companion, we can assume how much time has passed

Last edited by Sindatur; February 22 2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added a word to Second sentence, added missing letters
Old February 22 2013, 12:57 AM   #99
Iamnotspock
Captain

Everything you need to know on that subject is here.
Iamnotspock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 07:22 AM   #100
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Now I'm sad. I just finished all of the Dr. Who on Netflix, which goes to series 6. This, isn't counting the Classic Dr. Who, but it isn't the same.
Anybody know when new seasons will be showing up on Netflix?

Old February 28 2013, 01:30 PM   #101
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Now I'm sad. I just finished all of the Dr. Who on Netflix, which goes to series 6. This, isn't counting the Classic Dr. Who, but it isn't the same.
Anybody know when new seasons will be showing up on Netflix?
I don't know, but, you can try your On Demand Cabe for the first 5 episodes of s7, or buy them at Amazon instant watch or they will probably be repeated on BBCA the day the first new episode airs at the end of March

Old February 28 2013, 02:24 PM   #102
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Is season 7 the furthest they've gone so far?

Old February 28 2013, 02:39 PM   #103
The Wormhole
Admiral

Is season 7 the furthest they've gone so far?
Doctor Who is currently in the middle of its seventh season. The first five episodes aired last September, and there was a Chirstmas special in December, and we're waiting for the remaining eight episodes to begin airing at the end of March.
Old February 28 2013, 03:13 PM   #104
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Well then, I'm only about half a dozen episodes behind. It will really suck to have to wait to see them. I've gotten spoiled watching at least one new episode a day!

This reminds me what it was like with Star Trek back in the 70s.

Old February 28 2013, 03:49 PM   #105
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Well then, I'm only about half a dozen episodes behind. It will really suck to have to wait to see them. I've gotten spoiled watching at least one new episode a day!

This reminds me what it was like with Star Trek back in the 70s.
Heh, yea, it sucks when you've got a backlog to run through at your own pace, and then you catch up, and have to wait like everyone else.