Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 16 2013, 01:40 AM   #136
Pauln6
Commodore

Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

Trek is often guilty of giving 'inappropriate' tasks to main characters - I view Spock as primarily a physicist with expertise in Sensors, Maths, and Computing but he often deals with communications issues and engineering issues. Programming the Kobayashi Maru test fits with his character though and he might be delegated the task of assigning cadets because he was most recently involved in assessing them. Like Data you feel that Spock just needs more hours in the day and he could run everything single-handed.

I recall one episode of Voyager where the crew had to go on a geology mission. Instead of introducing a ship's geologist, they picked main characters who had taken geology for one semester and Neelix because he went in a cave once.

As a trained biologist and a qualified medic, Chapel could have gone on loads more away missions than she did.

In 2 hour movies it will be hard to give all the characters interesting and appropriate moments to shine but from the pictures I've seen it does look as though Uhura is going to be given a more prominent role. I hope they give her something to do because she is qualified to do it not because they want the heroine to be in peril or because she's out to help her man.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:09 AM   #137
yousirname
Commander

UFO wrote: View Post
Isn't it possible that the assignment she first got was a better post on a "lesser" ship and thus offered better opportunities for advancement? Maybe cadets should have to work their way up a bit no matter who or how good they are?
Define 'possible'. Do you mean that, in-story, Uhura cannot know for certain that the post she perceives as inferior is not necessary or better for her? I have nothing that can prove she could. OTOH if you're just inviting me to speculate that that may in fact have been the case, then I'd have to disagree. The Enterprise is the flagship. Nothing really trumps that.

But none of that matters. 'Destiny' is as close as we can get to an overriding theme of ST09, and it's Uhura's destiny to be, for a time at least, the Communications Officer of the USS Enterprise, Captain James T. Kirk commanding. If you don't like the attitude she takes in the course of fulfilling that destiny, what can I say? You don't like it. I can't really talk you out of that.

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Trek is often guilty of giving 'inappropriate' tasks to main characters
Yup.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 03:10 PM   #138
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I recall one episode of Voyager where the crew had to go on a geology mission. Instead of introducing a ship's geologist, they picked main characters who had taken geology for one semester and Neelix because he went in a cave once.
Budgetwise, of course, they usually need to maximise the use of the contracted feature actors.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 05:34 PM   #139
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Budgetwise, of course, they usually need to maximise the use of the contracted feature actors.
There was also the premise in Voyager that half the trained and qualified Starfleet crew complement had been lost during the catastrophic trip to the Delta quadrant in the pilot episode, necessitating their joining of forces with the Maquis crew and leading to duty shifts by some characters in areas other than that of their specialty (e.g., Tom Paris doing some duty in Sick Bay because he'd received some secondary medical training.) Voyager fudged on this often enough that it was good to see them at least trying to remember that "Oh, hey, we probably don't have a dedicated ship's geologist any more - he was killed in 'Caretaker, Part 1,' right?"

Last edited by M'Sharak; February 17 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: e.g.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 10:52 PM   #140
Lance
Fleet Captain

yousirname wrote: View Post
Trek is often guilty of giving 'inappropriate' tasks to main characters
Yup.
I did like the way that occasionally in TOS we'd get to see Scotty's repair crews actually doing stuff in engineering (albeit under Scott's direction). Seemed much more realistic.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 08:54 AM   #141
Pauln6
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
There was also the premise in Voyager that half the trained and qualified Starfleet crew complement had been lost during the catastrophic trip to the Delta quadrant in the pilot episode, necessitating their joining of forces with the Maquis crew and leading to duty shifts by some characters in areas other than that of their specialty (e.g., Tom Paris doing some duty in Sick Bay because he'd received some secondary medical training.) Voyager fudged on this often enough that it was good to see them at least trying to remember that "Oh, hey, we probably don't have a dedicated ship's geologist any more - he was killed in 'Caretaker, Part 1,' right?"
They didn't lose as many crewmen as you think but another example is Ensign Wildman, an honest-to-god science officer. Basically they used her once or twice a year as part of the latest mommy in space story. She never got to be involved in any science plot that didn't also involve her role as a mother - that would always be shuffled off to Janeway, Kim, or Seven.

Old February 21 2013, 05:49 AM   #142
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

of course it make sense as the studio hopes to capture that "Twilight" vibe by giving Spock a love interest, which makes me believe even more that they just don't get it.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:24 AM   #143
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
of course it make sense as the studio hopes to capture that "Twilight" vibe by giving Spock a love interest, which makes me believe even more that they just don't get it.
It may come as a surprise, but there was romance in movies before "Twilight".
Old February 21 2013, 06:32 AM   #144
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

"Twilight" has nothing to do with it. But please, enlighten us as to what "They" don't get. . .

~FS
Old February 21 2013, 06:34 AM   #145
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Because Spock never had a love interest prior to ST09.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 09:45 AM   #146
Pauln6
Commodore

You need a sarcasm smiley on that last comment. It's more accurate to say that a love interest has never been so in our faces in any of the TOS movies but even that isn't quite true - we had Decker and Ilia - but in most of the movies the 'romance' element was very understated - we had implied sexual tension between Spock and Saavik, flirtation between Kirk and Gillian, and Spock's permanent boner whenever Valeris was in the room.

Old February 21 2013, 12:33 PM   #147
serenitytrek1
Commander

omg...omg....omg...my worst nightmare. Twilight and Star Trek in the same sentense.

please dont ever compare twilight and star trek to each other ever ever again.

twilight is just about the worst series ever.

I also doubt the writers paired S/U together to get the twilight base....every movie , regardless of its genre have always had a romance.

twilight has one of the WORST romance stories ever.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 12:55 PM   #148
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They get it just fine. Do you?
Old February 21 2013, 07:00 PM   #149
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

omg...omg....omg...my worst nightmare. Twilight and Star Trek in the same sentense.

I also doubt the writers paired S/U together to get the twilight base....every movie , regardless of its genre have always had a romance.

Uh-uh.

Remember what happened the last time you got all wound up on that subject, and put your teen-ranty Twilight hate-posts in a blog entry instead.

Not here.
Old February 21 2013, 08:05 PM   #150
serenitytrek1
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

Uh-uh.

Remember what happened the last time you got all wound up on that subject, and put your teen-ranty Twilight hate-posts in a blog entry instead.

Not here.
Dont worry...it would not happen again. But come on?

Star Trek vs Twilight?
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote