TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 16 2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: How 'bout this?

I recognized Vader's voice as The Great White Hope boxer, which was several years earlier. Cumberbatch may be a great actor (not as familiar with him as some here), but he does not have the extensive body of impressive work as James Earl Jones. I doubt he has as many acting awards, either.
Old February 16 2013, 08:49 AM   #17
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Cumberbatch's career now and Jones's career in late '76/early '77 are almost identical. Jones's only advantage is the a fore mentioned The Great White Hope. Otherwise, their bodies of work, awards, etc. are pretty much the same. Their voices are their most prominent feature and the one thing most people recognize them for.

Jones was known by lots and lots of people and his voice was very recognizable, but he was not the "house-hold name" he is today. At the time he took Star Wars (or Roots rather), he was struggling to find work. If you walk up to people and said, "James Earl Jones" probably six in ten of them would say, "Who the fuck is James Earl Jones?"

Likewise, Cumberbatch is recognized by lots and lots of people, but he is not a house-hold name. But people do recognize his voice.

In any case, the OP implied one has to be a superstar to be a good villain. I was trying to use a relevant and comparative example to prove otherwise.

Perhaps I should have said Margaret Hamilton or Andrew Robinson and caused less of a fuss.
Old February 16 2013, 11:31 AM   #18
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I suspect the idea is that Into Darkness is the movie that makes Cumberbatch a superstar.

Didn't go so well for Tom Hardy in Nemesis, but let's not dwell on that
Old February 16 2013, 12:55 PM   #19
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Thanks to the Sherlock/internet/tumblr thing, Cumberbatch has a much larger following than Hardy did back then. He's already kind of a star, even if not a big movie star yet.

Last edited by SalvorHardin; February 16 2013 at 01:12 PM.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 01:21 PM   #20
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Well we've all got ideas and but lets see the evidence I've read articles on Star Trek into darkness trying to stay away from spoilers but here goes,

1. Wellers character has not yet been Revealed ??? Why I've read that he's playing carol Marcus Father so is he bad or good and why shield his character from fans who want and need to know. He did say in a interview that he had his own ship and I've read he's got a rank of Admrial

2. The countdown comic has revealed that a former captain of the enterprise is involved in some way captain Robert April.

3. In another interview from trekmovie.com they went for a preview on the 1st trailer and one of the reporters was told that BC Character Harrison was Using Robert Aprils weapon in the Klingon Homeworld scenes ??

In Conclusion I think that there's more to wellers character that meets the trailers so perhaps putting the spotlight on BC character is and might be a red herring just to put us off the real villain in the new movie !!!
Old February 16 2013, 01:39 PM   #21
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I've also been checking out the rest of the cast Nolan north the actor has also not had his character announced ??? Hmm the plot thickens !!!
Old February 16 2013, 02:09 PM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
3. In another interview from trekmovie.com they went for a preview on the 1st trailer and one of the reporters was told that BC Character Harrison was Using Robert Aprils weapon in the Klingon Homeworld scenes ??
The concept designs for the gattling gun Harrison wields in the trailer were labeled "April's Gun." While the true Trek fans immeidately thought of Robert April, some though maybe that title just referred to what month the gun was designed in. However, given we now know from Countdown to Darkness that Robert April is involved, it likely does mean the gun is his.
Old February 16 2013, 04:13 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I have a feeling the April plotline is contained to Countdown to Darkness.
Old February 16 2013, 04:16 PM   #24
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
I've also been checking out the rest of the cast Nolan north the actor has also not had his character announced ??? Hmm the plot thickens !!!
Who's Nolan North? Or should I say NN?
Old February 16 2013, 04:56 PM   #25
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

He is an actor whose visage is somewhat similar to the drawing of a certain Trek character, who appears on the final page of the aforementioned comic.

I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.

Last edited by DaveyNY; February 17 2013 at 03:09 AM.
DaveyNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:22 PM   #26
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

I certainly did not mean to detract from who BC is. I just never heard of him before this. I'm sure there are people who don't know who Kristen Stewart,Taylor Lautner and the other guy are. It all hinges on what films or genre of films you watch and how much PR the paparazzi give them. It sounds like BC has a much larger base even outside the Sherlock series(?) he is in.

I was just curious if he would be comfortable with a smaller role in the event that JJ is just mindfocking us with his trailer editing.
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:34 PM   #27
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Well, to be honest, this reputation of Abrams as the master of deception has been greatly exaggerated.
It seems to me that he just doesn't reveal any information and then fans take over doing most of the work with their theories and paranoia.

As for Cumberbatch, he's young and his star is now on the rise. I see no sense in having Weller take a more prominent role than him.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 09:48 PM   #28
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Well, to be honest, this reputation of Abrams as the master of deception has been greatly exaggerated.
It seems to me that he just doesn't reveal any information and then fans take over doing most of the work with their theories and paranoia.

As for Cumberbatch, he's young and his star is now on the rise. I see no sense in having Weller take a more prominent role than him.
As I stated in another thread, while JJ Abrams likes his "mystery box" of secrecy, he has never lied to fans about an upcoming movie. I respect him for this attitude. I do not like too many spoilers prior to watching a movie.
Old February 16 2013, 09:53 PM   #29
CorporalClegg
Admiral

He does love red herrings in and misdirection.

For how many months did we think ST09 was going to be primarily a Kirk "destiny" story? His excessive use of Nero's "Jame T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life." line out of context had us all believe the film was going in a different direction than it actually did.
Old February 16 2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

I disagree. Abrams lets out a little information and lets the fans assume a different direction.

The first movie was, indeed, about destiny... the crew was destined to come together, even with the changes in the new timeline. Spock said as much in the cave on Delta Vega.