Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 16 2013, 01:25 PM   #151
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

they must have left rather a lot of fingerprints on the window and trash bin and quite a lot of skin particles when they went over your clothes. A good labtech should have enough material for analysis (unless they wore plastic overalls, gloves and hairnets).
You might consider investing in a loud alarm siren, though. There are rather cheap systems that are connected with a contact at the window frame. When the window gets opened without switching the alarm off first, a circuit gets closed and the alarm goes off. Hardly any burglar has the nerve to continue his work with such a noise going on.
If you have enough time and money for it, a large dog would be an equally effective solution.
Old February 16 2013, 01:56 PM   #152
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

^ or a recording of a BIIG dog barking hooked to the window or door...

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:00 PM   #153
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

According to the internet, it's easy to spot fake dog barks.

But no matter, I've already started searching for both alarms and dogs.

I know people say it all the time, but this really is not the sort of thing you ever expect to happen to you.
Old February 16 2013, 04:35 PM   #154
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

if you seriousely consider getting a dog, please do keep in mind that it is a living being and as big a responsibility as a child. It's not a device you buy, install and then take for granted. It is a living, feeling person who's life quite literally depends on you. Someone who requires daily social contact, several hours of open air activities (and just letting it out in the garden is not enough), good quality food (no human food leftovers!), medical care etc. And when it's old you have to deal with illnesses and high vet bills and have to make the dog's life as pleasant as possible and not get it killed because it's no longer useful for you.

Also, you can not lock up a dog in the house for more than 5 hours at maximum before it needs a potty break (the results of which you have to collect and dispose of). That means: no fulltime job or no single household. If only one applies in your case, forget about the dog.

Think very carefully if you are really ready to accept this responsibility and are willing to live with the consequences.
Old February 16 2013, 07:35 PM   #155
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Also, you can not lock up a dog in the house for more than 5 hours at maximum before it needs a potty break (the results of which you have to collect and dispose of). That means: no fulltime job or no single household. If only one applies in your case, forget about the dog.
Nonsense. During the winter my dog is in the house 8 hrs a day while we're at work. She has never had an accident (since she was a puppy, anyway) and sometimes doesn't even want to go outside right away when we get home.

Sounds like your dog has trained you.

- Homer
Colonel Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:28 PM   #156
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

My dog does fine with me working full time. I even have to run errands after work sometimes, and she's okay. Always happy to go out, and always happy to see me, but she's just fine.
Old February 16 2013, 09:51 PM   #157
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Colonel Green wrote: View Post
Nonsense. Sounds like your dog has trained you.
There is no need to insult me in my own thread. If you are unable to disagree politely, please just stay away.
Old February 16 2013, 10:29 PM   #158
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Nonsense. Sounds like your dog has trained you.
There is no need to insult me in my own thread. If you are unable to disagree politely, please just stay away.
Not intended as an insult. I know a few people who held/hold the same view. In virtually all cases they were wrong. Their dogs convinced them that certain behaviours were inherent to their nature, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Also, this isn't YOUR thread. This is a public forum, if you want an echo chamber start a private blog. If I decide to insult you, I promise, it's won't be subtle.

- Homer
Old February 16 2013, 10:44 PM   #159
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

It's quite comforting to see this place hasn't changed in ten years.

You know I am surprised more people haven't chimed in with advice on securing property. That's what would be helpful - what is and is not an effective deterrent.
Old February 17 2013, 12:52 AM   #160
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Here is my rant of the day:

I'm sick of my own body trying to kill me. I've also decided to put off my birthday until the doctors find out what's wrong with me. I'm stuck wearing a stupid cardiac event monitor for the next two weeks to a month, and it's not fun or sexy, and won't look good with my birthday dress. So, birthday is off for now. At least I get to be 29 a bit longer this way.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 02:19 AM   #161
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Here is my rant of the day:

I'm sick of my own body trying to kill me. I've also decided to put off my birthday until the doctors find out what's wrong with me. I'm stuck wearing a stupid cardiac event monitor for the next two weeks to a month, and it's not fun or sexy, and won't look good with my birthday dress. So, birthday is off for now. At least I get to be 29 a bit longer this way.
:Epic Hugs!:

Normally I would be all for this. Since my birthday is only a day before yours, I could use this as an excuse to adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, it's terrible that someone so young and so awesome has to go through all that garbage. Such a grave injustice. I really hope everything gets better for you.

And, if I may interject, you'd make Borgified look sexy.

Hey, wait a minute ... Costume party!
Old February 17 2013, 02:25 AM   #162
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Haha. I was joking with the tech who put the heart monitor on that, considering the recent...installation...of the insulin pump, pretty soon I'm going to need a utility belt!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 02:46 AM   #163
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

Not sure if this will make you feel any better, but I saw your wesley sweater pics and I think you just might be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

*edit* and I say this as a very happily married man

- Homer
Old February 17 2013, 02:53 AM   #164
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Haha. I was joking with the tech who put the heart monitor on that, considering the recent...installation...of the insulin pump, pretty soon I'm going to need a utility belt!
Will your sis knit you a batman cape to go with it?
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 02:54 AM   #165
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Not sure if this will make you feel any better, but I saw your wesley sweater pics and I think you just might be the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

*edit* and I say this as a very happily married man
TBBS women are all about as beautiful as it gets. In fact, it's a matter of public record.