Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 16 2013, 02:44 AM   #46
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: The 11-foot TOS Enterprise model-

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
I never saw the God-awful gridlines which the original TOS model currently shows.
Okay, the CGI model differs that some gridlines are lighter than others and it has patchwork plating creating unique Aztec patterns. Is this better, worse or just equally dumb?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:58 AM   #47
MarsWeeps
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I never saw the God-awful gridlines which the original TOS model currently shows.
Okay, the CGI model differs that some gridlines are lighter than others and it has patchwork plating creating unique Aztec patterns. Is this better, worse or just equally dumb?

Bob
I was mainly referring to the underside of the saucer section which looks horrendous on the original TOS model and absolutely nothing like the TOS-R CGI Enterprise, which is gorgeous on the screen.

MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 04:20 AM   #48
Warped9
Admiral

Bob
I was mainly referring to the underside of the saucer section which looks horrendous on the original TOS model and absolutely nothing like the TOS-R CGI Enterprise, which is gorgeous on the screen.

Uh, you do know the current paint job isn't what the model looked like in it's prime?
Old February 16 2013, 06:06 AM   #49
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post

Bob

Uh, you do know the current paint job isn't what the model looked like in it's prime?
He DID say: I never saw the God-awful gridlines which the original TOS model currently shows.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 09:20 AM   #50
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
AshGL1914 wrote: View Post
(like Ed taking a scribe to the underside of the saucer to scribe the grid lines into the plastic of the hull)

This means the gridlines were scored into the plastic hull with something pointy or a blade? Say it ain't so, Joe.

The TOS-R virtual model is looking better and better. Perhaps that model was the "preservation" spoken of in our ancient prophesies.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 11:54 AM   #51
MarsWeeps
Captain

Yes, that's my whole point. If you read my whole post and the one that I was quoting, you would know that.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 03:09 PM   #52
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Yes, that's my whole point. If you read my whole post and the one that I was quoting, you would know that.
The more I see that photo, the madder I get. Those lines are ridiculous. Looks like a starship's version of chicken pox.
Old February 16 2013, 03:31 PM   #53
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
The more I see that photo, the madder I get. Those lines are ridiculous. Looks like a starship's version of chicken pox.
I know the feeling.
Old February 16 2013, 05:54 PM   #54
Forbin
Admiral

Seeing the name list, the one name that immediately caught my attention is Doug Drexler. Though I'm not a fan of his Enterprise cutaway he did for "In A Mirror, Darkly", he is the one who actually went to the NASM in December 1976, had access to the Smithsonian documentation and took several close-up pictures of the, then, original condition the Enterprise was still in.

Bob
With that in mind, let me recommend Gary Kerr, who helped in the disassembly of the 11-footer for the Meirecki restoration, and photographed, measured the model in subassemblies, and made copious notes. As I'm sure I've mentioned, he recently did all the design work on Polar Lights' new 1/350 scale model kit.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 06:08 PM   #55
Warped9
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post

Seeing the name list, the one name that immediately caught my attention is Doug Drexler. Though I'm not a fan of his Enterprise cutaway he did for "In A Mirror, Darkly", he is the one who actually went to the NASM in December 1976, had access to the Smithsonian documentation and took several close-up pictures of the, then, original condition the Enterprise was still in.

Bob
With that in mind, let me recommend Gary Kerr, who helped in the disassembly of the 11-footer for the Meirecki restoration, and photographed, measured the model in subassemblies, and made copious notes. As I'm sure I've mentioned, he recently did all the design work on Polar Lights' new 1/350 scale model kit.
Seconded.
Old February 16 2013, 11:10 PM   #56
AshGL1914
Lieutenant Commander

That would be the Gary I mentioned earlier.
AshGL1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 11:43 PM   #57
Warped9
Admiral

AshGL1914 wrote: View Post
That would be the Gary I mentioned earlier.
FANTASTIC!
Old February 17 2013, 12:03 PM   #58
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Big Question: Did Gary Kerr also provide the original parts for the Miarecki restoration (i.e. front nacelles and/or sensor domes and/or sensor dish) that had gone missing prior to the Enterprise's arrival at the Smithsonian in 1974?

Reason: There is this picture circulating of the floor positioned angled model beeing held by a gentleman with a moustache (prior to 1974). Somebody here at Trek BBS has identified the person in the picture as Gary Kerr.

I recently provided a link of a modeler's forum discussing the model and the same picture showed up. Some member of this forum claimed that the gentleman in the picture supposedly kept / safeguarded these pieces which was a wise precaution considering how the ship arrived at the Smithsonian...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 12:38 AM   #59
Mr.AtoZ
Lieutenant Commander

I am also shocked to see those exaggerated grid lines on the hull. The good thing about any scoring is that it can be filled in with epoxy or other material compatible with the hull. I truly hope the new efforts will bring our beloved ship back to its former screen accurate glory.
Mr.AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:48 PM   #60
feek61
Captain

Big Question: Did Gary Kerr also provide the original parts for the Miarecki restoration (i.e. front nacelles and/or sensor domes and/or sensor dish) that had gone missing prior to the Enterprise's arrival at the Smithsonian in 1974?

Reason: There is this picture circulating of the floor positioned angled model beeing held by a gentleman with a moustache (prior to 1974). Somebody here at Trek BBS has identified the person in the picture as Gary Kerr.

I recently provided a link of a modeler's forum discussing the model and the same picture showed up. Some member of this forum claimed that the gentleman in the picture supposedly kept / safeguarded these pieces which was a wise precaution considering how the ship arrived at the Smithsonian...

Bob
Gary did NOT supply any parts and is not the guy in the photo you speak of.

feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote