Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 16 2013, 06:50 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain

Why did the Dominion sign a non aggression pact with Bajor?

Why did the Dominion sign a non aggression pact with Bajor? I can understand why they signed one with the Romulans, they were a major military power, but Bajor had no real military strength. Wouldn't the Dominion want to control the planet right next to the Worm Hole, perhaps use it as a staging area, instead of having all their ships and supplies having to fly to Cardassia after entering the AQ?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 07:49 AM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Why did the Dominion sign a non aggression pact with Bajor?

It was more to Bajor's benefit to do so. By not opposing the Dominion, but rather cooperating with it, Bajor was spared being attacked.
Old February 16 2013, 07:55 AM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I think the question was why would the Dominion offer Bajor the pact to begin with?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:08 AM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think the question was why would the Dominion offer Bajor the pact to begin with?
To remove it as an ally to the Federation.
Old February 16 2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Mage
Commodore

"Whoever controls the wormhole, controls the Alpha Quadrant." Benjamin Sisko.

I suppose the Dominion hoped that by having a non-agression pact with Bajor, they could slowly maneuver themselves closer to DS9 and the wormhole without sending in a huge fleet. However, when Starfleet decided to mine the wormhole, they needed to send in a fleet anyway and take the station before it was to late.
By then, the pact had been signed already, even if only just.
Old February 16 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Timo
Admiral

Such pacts are probably also a standard way for the Dominion to operate when expanding its territories. The less direct conquering with guns they have to do, the better: the Jem'Hadar are an "army in being", a threat that is at its greatest when it is absent. That's why they are invisible, too - they can't actually fight when invisible, but one has to fear them all the time because not seeing them is no proof that they wouldn't be listening...

Treaties, veiled threats and deliberate withholding of force - these are the two favorite weapons of the Dominion.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Mage
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
Such pacts are probably also a standard way for the Dominion to operate when expanding its territories. The less direct conquering with guns they have to do, the better: the Jem'Hadar are an "army in being", a threat that is at its greatest when it is absent. That's why they are invisible, too - they can't actually fight when invisible, but one has to fear them all the time because not seeing them is no proof that they wouldn't be listening...

Treaties, veiled threats and deliberate withholding of force - these are the two favorite weapons of the Dominion.

Timo Saloniemi

Exactly. Do as the Dominion 'suggests', or a visit by the Jem'Hadar. For most people, that seems an easy choice I suppose.
Old February 16 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post

Timo Saloniemi

Exactly. Do as the Dominion 'suggests', or a visit by the Jem'Hadar. For most people, that seems an easy choice I suppose.
Agreed. It was made clear many times in DS9 that the Dominion prefers non-violent means of annexation, and resorts to open conquest only when it can't take control through veiled threats or subversion of governments - or simply inviting planets to join. After all, war is not very orderly or safe, and so runs counter to the purpose of the Dominion. The Founders aren't the Klingons - they actually seek peace (which of course they define as "everybody else under our control and kept in check through the knowledge that we're more powerful than they are")
Old February 16 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Mage
Commodore

I think people tend to look at the Dominion as pure evil, and in the later seasons they were depicted as that. But the original concept of The Dominion was something like the Federation, just not as free and open a society then the Federation. They even wanted the bridges of Dominion ships to be crewed by lots of different species, just like with the Federation, but as with Starfleet bridges, make-up budget made it very difficult to produce a lot of variety.
Old February 16 2013, 04:20 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

So they didn't have to fight Federation forces coming right out of the wormhole. It was a strategic move designed to deprive the Federation a base of operations in the area.
Old February 16 2013, 04:27 PM   #11
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Dominion always thought about long-term objectives. I'm sure the non-aggression pact was a prelude to their plans of eventually conquering Bajor to so they could control the wormhole. They also knew that putting a wedge between the Federation and Bajor was beneficial.
Old February 16 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
sonak
Vice Admiral

why not? tyrants routinely offer all kinds of treaties and non-aggression pacts for strategic advantage or to drive a wedge between allies or potential allies. The Dominion would have adhered to the treaty as long as it was in their interest to do so, and no longer.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:44 PM   #13
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

The Dominion rules almost entirely by psychological means. Now, they have the physical means to back it up, but anytime you actually fight, you have the chance of losing, or at least not winning by as much as you should have. Imagine what is going on in the minds of the various parts of the Dominion when they hear about not only how the Jem'Hadar lost a war (even with a Founder guiding them!), but how the Cardassians rebelled and didn't get wiped out.

No, it's easier to maintain control with just the reputation. Bajor already fought off one Occupation. Plus, that's just one more planet (and a rather strategic one at that!) that the Dominion doesn't have to worry about. As well, the Dominion "non-agression pact" seems to be just the first step into eventually being controlled by the Dominion.
Old February 16 2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Tulaberry whine
Lieutenant Commander

By offering a non-aggression treaty and then - more importantly - sticking to its terms once the Federation had left Bajor the Dominion also showed it was trustworthy - a smart political move to help gain allies and supporters in the Alpha Quadrant at a stage when major powers like the Romulans and Breen were still on the sidelines.
Tulaberry whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 02:31 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

If I may invoke a certain metaphor from a certain former vice president's lecture-movie.

Throw a frog in boiling water, it will jump out. Raise the temperature gradually, the frog will stay in the water until it dies.

That's exactly what they did to Cardassia and hoped to do to Bajor. Remember, they started out by saying 'We'll just send some Vorta to Bajor, no Gem Hadar'. Then the plan would have been, wait till they get used to that. Then more Vorta. Then maybe, just a few Gem'Hadar, unarmed. Then armed. Before they know it they're a Dominion planet.

It's all about resource management. Take a planet intact without expending any resources, or spend resources to take it demolished. Show the AQ your only enemy is the Federation and you'll be left unharmed if you stay out of it, or show the AQ that you will attack defenseless planets and then have to take on more fronts at the same time.

The Dominion wanted to take the AQ piecemeal. They wanted to take on as few enemies at a time as possible, and get the greatest gain for the least expenditure, and not invading Bajor was the best way to accomplish that.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote