Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 9 2013, 05:17 AM   #91
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Warm Bodies - free admission
P.S. I Love You - DVD
The Lake House - DVD
Alonzo Bodden: Who's Paying Attention? - Netflix Instant
Everything or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007 - Netflix Instant
Side by Side - free admission
Pennies from Heaven - free admission
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid- DVD
The Lonely Guy - DVD
Batman: The Dark Knigth Returns, Part Two - DVD
Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt - DVD
Side Effects - free admission

Stopped off at Wal-Mart after work the other night, picked up a couple of DVDs.

Watched the second part of the Batman animated film. The Joker vs Batman fight was brutal, and I enjoyed the Superman vs Batman fight quite a bit, especially the part with the wreckin' ball.

The DVD had a first look / sneak peek at Superman: Unbound, which will have John Noble as the voice of Brainiac. Lookin' forward to that one!

Followed that up with the latest Jesse Stone movie. I still enjoy 'em, even if they aren't that close to the novels, which I have now read a few of...the main character is the same, and Tom Selleck has the charisma to make Stone awesome, even if he is only sharin' a scene with a dog.

Got off work today in time to see Side Effects. Rooney Mara is becomin' one of my favorites, but 21 Jump Street is still my favorite Channing Tatum movie.

Got a plan to see the Oscar-nominated shorts, both animated & live action, tomorrow before work. I enjoyed seein' last year's nominees on the big screen, lookin' forward to this year's.
Old February 9 2013, 09:00 PM   #92
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C

First off, did we really need to see Gwenyth Paltrow's scalp folded back in the autopsy scene?

Matt Damon does not play the everyman well at all and Laurence Fishburne's doctor was far too unattached, especially in scenes where he needs to play the emotional angle. In a collection of moderately boring and uninteresting characters, Kate Winslet stands out as the young, strong willed doctor and the fear that a person like that would have as they finally face their death.

The script is a mess. The ensemble movies are becoming more and more popular, but if time was spent to actually make these stories interesting, it would have improved the movie immensely.
Old February 10 2013, 01:50 AM   #93
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Dragon Lord (6)
Gangster Squad (8)
The Grey (8)
The Illusionist (10)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Twin Dragons (7)

Current Total: 14
Old February 11 2013, 05:42 PM   #94
Danny99
Vice Admiral

1) This Is 40 - C+
2) Easy A - A-
3) The Bounty Hunter - B+
4) Crazy, Stupid, Love. - B-

5) What To Expect When You're Expecting - B+
6) Contagion - C
7) Identity Thief - A

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

The second movie I've seen in theatre's this year takes me top spot so far.

Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy are perfect for their roles. In all of his movies that I have seen, Bateman manages to play a family man or a straight man who is great comedically, but isn't a caricature like so many others. McCarthy does start out as the silly goofy character, which she does well, but once she takes the pounds of makeup off and looks like her Molly character from TV, she takes a possible one note character and adds layers to it.

Another shout out goes to Robert Patrick as the bounty hunter. He plays the character so well and you had to smile every time he comes on the screen.

It's not a dramatic piece, but it had me laughing. I definitely recommend it.
Old February 11 2013, 07:01 PM   #95
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Peter Pan - Blu Ray - Peter Pan has always been a favorite of mine, however I have not seen it in many years. Disney just released it from the vault, complete with a remaster and it's beautiful, actually stunning. While the portrail of the Indians are still cringe worthy, the whole movie is fun. My oldest son watched it for the first time and he was mesmerized with it. He's a huge fan of Jake and the Neverland Pirates on Disney Jr, so he has been aware of Captain Hook and Peter Pan but this takes it to a whole new level. When the movie was over, a scant 77 minutes, he immediately asked to watch it again.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 12:07 AM   #96
od0_ital
Admiral

P.S. I Love You - DVD
The Lake House - DVD
The Lonely Guy - DVD
Funny Girl - free admission
Christopher Titus: Neverlution - YouTube
Ralphie May: Just Correct - YouTube

Went over to the Ritz yesterday for my first ever viewin' of Funny Girl. Pretty decent for an old musical. And its the second "new to me" movie with Omar Shariff I've seen this year.

Went lookin' for clips on YouTube this mornin', found a couple of comedy specials instead. A two-hour standup from Christopher Titus from 2010 and an early Ralphie May standup filmed at the Laugh Factory. I could tell it was old from the jokes he told, they were the same ones he had for Last Comic Standing's first season.
Old February 12 2013, 12:44 AM   #97
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I've been incognito for a while... trying to remember the new stuff I've seen...

Life of Pi ★★★★
The Sessions ★★★★
The Possession ★½
Mama ★★½
Warm Bodies ★★★½
Side Effects ★★★
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 10:01 PM   #98
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

12. Hansel & Gretel-Witch Hunters: C-
13. Parker: B-
14. Bullet to the Head: B+
15. Judge Dredd(1995): C
16: The Mist: B+

Judge Dredd: After the excellent Karl Urban version I decided to finally revisit this film. It's as mediocre as I recall. As a film it is, I'm still not some JD well of knowledge. I did like the bikes and hyper-stylized costumes better. Those did match more to what I have read when I've read some JD books. I contend that simply removing the Rob Schneider character from the movie would boost it an entire letter grade. The ABC robot is fairly cool. Diane Lane is the only exposure to Judge Hersey I have, I understand she is an actual comic Judge. Anderson is the one I always see referenced but my exposure is limited. The crazy family in the Cursed Earth also didn't help. When they were on screen I felt the film dipped into too much camp territory. I also don't recall Dredd and Rico having such weird eyes, seems they had some contacts in for that affect. I think the final fight sequence is adequate considering the material and stars, till Schneider is the one who takes out the ABC robot(odd, missed opportunity for it vs JD imo).

The Mist: I expected this to be a nearly straight up knock off of Carpenter's The Fog. It uses the same set up "there's something in the Mist/Fog". Here though instead of vengeful ghouls from beyond it's and invading horde of sci-fi creatures from another dimension. Thanks nearby secretive military post! The movie also contains two leads from Walking Dead(which is more interesting as a side bar now of course). I also recognized the actress who played the Electric Powered bounty hunter from Angel(and was in Clash of the Titans). It had a great cast with others you'd recognize also. The movie ends rather depressingly though. I wont' go into it if you haven't seen it despite it being 5-6yrs old by now. A rather solid film imo. I got curious and checked out it's BO numbers and it seems it did fair vs it's budget. Good cause I like Thomas Jane as well as the hero dad who ends up losing it all really.

Tomorrow: Die Hard Cinema Movie Marathon at Regal Theaters. This time tomorrow(3pm CST) I'll be just starting DH2.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 10:30 AM   #99
od0_ital
Admiral

^

The Mist has a different endin' in the book than in the movie, though I read that Stephen King said he wished he had the guts to write the endin' the movie has when he originally wrote the story.

P.S. I Love You - DVD
The Lake House - DVD
The Lonely Guy - DVD
Funny Girl - free admission
Christopher Titus: Neverlution - YouTube
Ralphie May: Just Correct - YouTube
Top Gun 3D - IMAX
Fourplay: Tales of Sexual Intimacy - free admission

Spent a night off from work at two different movie theaters.

First, I went to the Regal Gateway for Top Gun 3D, since they have one of the two fake Imax screens in the city. Unless the screen is floor to ceilin' & wall to wall, with nearly vertical seatin', it isn't a real IMAX. But, I wanted to see the movie on the theater screen, and the 3D was gonna be an added bonus.

I nearly choked when I found out the price tag for a ticket was fifteen bucks!!!

Had to pee from the volleyball scene onward, too, but didn't want to leave the theater after payin' that much to see the movie.

While the 3D doesn't do much for anything set on the ground, it made the flight sequences even more awesome than they were before.

Followed that up with a quick drive to the Alamo Drafthouse Village for Fourplay, an anthology movie that my friend Rita helped to edit. Local actor Jose Villareal was there for a post-film Q&A, though the website said the director would be there...ah, well.

The stories are about a lesbian who falls in love with a dog, a couple who rekindle their lust in an adult venue, a gay guy cruisin' for love in the men's restroom at the mall, and a crossdressin' hooker who gets hired by the wife of a medically disabled man. My friend edited the fourth one, and the actor was from the third.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but the fourth story was definately the best of 'em. It had an actual conclusion, instead of just endin' like the first two, and seemed far more realistic compared to the fantasy that the third turns into.

Watchin' 'Salem's Lot (2004) on DVD now...feels like its taken forever to get goin'...probably won't finish it before I call it a night.

I wish I could go to the Die Hard marathon at the Ritz tomorrow, since I've only seen the fourth one on the theater screen, but I have to work.
Old February 15 2013, 11:08 PM   #100
Agent Richard07
Admiral

26. A Good Day to Die Hard (✩✩✩) - Theatre - My review is here. Not a good action movie and barely passable as a Die Hard movie but it had some good action and decent father/son stuff.

Theatre: 5
Blu-ray: 2
DVD: 6
Live TV: 9
Netflix: 0
Download: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 04:25 AM   #101
Lowdarzz
Captain

Prometheus (2012).

A movie with an interesting concept let down by some run of the mill decisions and a few too many plot holes.

I'm okay with a film that asks a lot of questions and only gives a few answers. This movie asks a ton of questions and answers none of them. With this in mind, the final product feels rushed and incomplete.

That said, I'm interested enough to watch the inevitable sequel.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 04:44 AM   #102
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

13. Parker: B-
14. Bullet to the Head: B+
15. Judge Dredd(1995): C
16. The Mist: B+
17. A Good Day to Die Hard: B-

My initial thoughts are here, in the review thread.
I think it's a good action flick and worth the name Die Hard if for nothing else than the action sequences. It also continues the family angst and disfunction but by the end of this film things are looking up in that department.
The film suffers from it's choice of villain. This, imo, reflects in some of the shortened run time. With a villain this generic you don't need time to flesh them out, make them sympathetic or engaging. The only way to push that envelope I think would be to introduce possibly who the end user client would be of the uranium.

Your going to hear that the movie is shit. It's not. Some hate how the film is not longer about a claustrophobic environment but I assure you if it was still in a confined space by film 5 people would be complaining about that.

While I'm not fan of RT I'd suggest one look at the audience rating vs the critics though. The disparity speaks for itself imo.

Anytime you have 5 of something, one thing has to be last and this is the "worst" Die Hard film....story/plot wise. However even as the wort DH film it's still better than lots of drivel.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 07:14 PM   #103
CaptainCanada
Admiral

13. Le Mepris (D)

Or Contempt, in the English translation. This is the first work by Jean-Luc Godard I've seen. It's excruciatingly boring.

14. On the Road (B)

A valiant effort to adapt Jack Kerouac's epochal novel, which has been in develop almost since publication, and it's probably as good an adaptation as anyone could make of it. Frankly, Kerouac's novel is much more a state of mind than a story, and while one can absolutely appreciate the impact it would have had when it came out, I don't think it holds up very well as literature. The film does what it can with the exceptionally episodic structure (an amazing cast of actors filter through the story in minor roles, including Terrence Howard, Alice Braga, Elisabeth Moss, Viggo Mortensen, Kirsten Dunst, and Amy Adams). Sam Riley is fine as the lead, while Garrett Hedlund as the livewire role as Dean Moriarty, the young Mephistopheles of the counterculture, and does a good job of making you believe in the effect the character has on people (as well as making him sympathetic despite being, really, an asshole). Kristen Stewart, whose casting got the movie made, has had her character's part expanded somewhat, but she does fine with it. She may not have tremendous range as an actress, but she does have talent in the right part.

Cinema: 4 (+1)
Home Video: 9 (+1)
Computer: 1

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 09:18 PM   #104
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Academy Award Consideration Screeners:
Silver Linings Playbook
Les Miserables
Flight
Promised Land
Looper
Skyfall
The Dark Knight Rises
Wreck-It Ralph
End of Watch
Lincoln
Django Unchained
Argo

At the Theater:
Django Unchained
A Good Day To Die Hard

Netflix DVD Rental:
Terminator Salvation
Love and Other Drugs
W.
Emma
Quantum of Solace
Insomnia
The Incredible Hulk
The Avengers
Wonder Woman
Iron Man
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 08:42 PM   #105
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse (9)
Broken City (7)
Bullet to the Head (7)
Dragon Lord (6)
Gangster Squad (8)
A Good Day to Die Hard (7)
The Grey (8)
The Illusionist (10)
The Last Stand (8)
Library War: Wings of Revolution (9)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion-Theatrical version (9)
Operation Condor (7)
Operation Condor 2: Armour of God (5)
Parker (8)
Twin Dragons (7)

Current Total: 15