Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 10 2013, 08:32 PM   #31
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Interesting Cumberbatch Character theory

Cumberbatch is Harcourt Mudd. You heard it here first.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 09:11 PM   #32
Franklin
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
And he's been taking the Venus drug.
Old February 10 2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Why does "Voyage into the new Star Trek Kirk & Khan" make it sound like Fantastic Voyage?

From the OP article:
If Abrams pulls the rug out from under moviegoers and the villain is revealed to be utterly unrelated to Khan, there will be a letdown, even for fans indifferent to it being Khan
I'm pretty sure fans who are indifferent by definition don't really care who it is. And even if he isn't Khan, is anybody here actually going to be let down?
Guarding by the trailers the movie just looks like a massive letdown. It could be Khan, it could be Joe Bob Smith, the trailers make the movie look silly.
You know, I think you're the only person who thinks this. (That I've heard from)
Old February 11 2013, 01:43 AM   #34
Litmus
Cadet

Yes, I think this is most likely, too. Remember how Kirk's quick thinking saved Khan from a malfunctioning cryogenic chamber in "Space Seed?" What if a different starship (not Enterprise) encountered Botany Bay in the new timeline? What if Khan dies because the captain who finds him isn't as quick? What if, for that matter, the augments either overtake that unlucky starship--or lay low and quietly assimilate--before hatching a plan to wreak havoc once they have a better lay of the land? John Harrison is probably from the same group--but just nastier (and more successful) than Khan.
Litmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:20 PM   #35
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Another denial that it's Khan. This one from Alice Eve at the BAFTAs.

This is the link. February 10 on trekmovie.com:

http://trekmovie.com/2013/02/10/eve-...e-from-baftas/
Old February 16 2013, 12:00 AM   #36
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

I often wonder, had they cast Benicio Del Toro as Cumberbatch's character, as it would seem Del Toro was an early choice; and now we would be seeing Del Toro doing all the things and saying all the lines we've been privy to in the trailers, AND THEN, we were told that it's not Kahn, but a guy named John Harrison, it would be easy to say: "Fuck that, he's Kahn, no doubt about it"....

I think it's all a red herring, I would even go so far as to speculate that even the early casting consideration of Del Toro was itself part of the misdirection... perhaps he was never in the running, but leaking the news of his possible casting (and other actors of latin descent) would had all the buzz on Kahn before the movie is even made, making any actual "non-Kahn" plot that bigger of a twist and surprise.

I think this film is more about nationalism, terrorism, capitalism, a post-Vulcan weakened Federation, conspiracy, an anti-Starfleet movement, and Klingons. I believe the Klingons are playing a much bigger role in this plot. While Kahn can easily be a villain to facilitate all those themes, in my mind, it's mostly subterfuge.

---And if Del Toro was in the running, he could easily pass as a believable "ridgless" Klingon of the TOS era, perhaps the true Harrison is an altered Klingon sleeper agent. (crazy right?) Merely playful speculation on my part.---
Old February 16 2013, 12:21 AM   #37
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

FlapJoy wrote: View Post
and now we would be seeing Del Toro doing all the things and saying all the lines we've been privy to in the trailers,
You probably wouldn't. They've said that after casting Cumberbatch they went back and specifically tailored the role for him.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 01:07 AM   #38
FlapJoy
Lieutenant Commander

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
and now we would be seeing Del Toro doing all the things and saying all the lines we've been privy to in the trailers,
You probably wouldn't. They've said that after casting Cumberbatch they went back and specifically tailored the role for him.
Yeah, like making his character a white English guy, but much of the characters motivations might remain much the same. I wouldn't think JJ and crew would think Cumberbatch is perfect for the role already created only to alter it drastically.
Old February 16 2013, 01:18 AM   #39
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Yeah, like making his character a white English guy, but much of the characters motivations might remain much the same. I wouldn't think JJ and crew would think Cumberbatch is perfect for the role already created only to alter it drastically.
IIRC, they said something to the effect of "they didn't change the role, they merely changed some dialogue that fit Cumberbatch as an actor better" or something similar.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:37 PM   #40
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

JJ Abrams has always loved his "mystery box" of secrecy. However, to date, he has never lied nor misinformed his viewers in promoting his projects. Combined with the denial of Alice Eve, I believe Khan is not Cumberbatch's character. Everything else is up for grabs.
Old February 17 2013, 12:47 AM   #41
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

sonak wrote: View Post
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR VULCAN MIND !!!!
Old February 17 2013, 05:49 PM   #42
theskulltrail
Cadet

I have no doubt that April is in the movie and now I am pretty sure that BC is playing ... Yes ... An deaged April ... Cause I could have find the way how he deaged himself! And what is needed?! Yes Carol Marcus! As she is developing Genesis and we learned that Prime Spock was reborn more or less through it in ST3, BC/April uses Genisis for deage him and help his ill member of family! And in the end Carol Marcus saves the Day as Chris Pine told us in an former interview! Weller is maybe as mentioned before Admiral Marcus as he is the One which operates against his daughter and helps April in some way maybe! It was also mentioned with the New Vulcan colony would be Part of the movie so I feel thats not the strangest theory!
theskulltrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 08:42 PM   #43
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Awesome!

Now I can change the moniker to Garth-Mitchell-April-Mudd-Khan-Harrison-Batman. What a mouthful.
Old February 17 2013, 11:26 PM   #44
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Cumberbatch is playing Alan Turing in an upcoming movie...cool.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/...ch-alan-turing

RAMA
Old February 18 2013, 12:50 PM   #45
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The character may go by "Turing" but we all know it's really KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN