Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 15 2013, 02:42 AM   #286
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: More Star Wars films announced

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I think Vader's floating jump after disarming Luke in The Empire Strikes Back is the creepiest move he ever did.
I love that moment. And the electronic hum of Vader's saber as he jumps makes the scene even creepier.

He's like an angel of death swooping down on poor Luke.
Old February 15 2013, 02:45 AM   #287
tighr
Commodore

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Technically we did get to see Darth Vader move like Anakin because Anakin was christened with his new Sith Lord title before his fate on Mustafar and reconstruction, but yeah, I do get your point.
Correct, and I lack the proper terminology to adequately describe what I wanted to see. I meant that I want the "christening" of the title to have happened at the end of Episode II, and the opening sequence of Episode III would be the fight on Mustafar (instead of the fight against Dooku). Darth Vader/Anakin is disabled, and then he becomes robot Anakin, and for the next hour and a half he kicks ass and kills adult Jedi (not younglings) and whatnot.
Old February 15 2013, 02:48 AM   #288
tighr
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
I don't think I would want Vader in the suit jumping around like the PT Jedi. It just would look weird to see someone in a big bulky suit jumping around like that. It looks good with characters in the loose flowing robes and clothes that the PT characters wear, but I just don't see it working with something like what OT Vader wears.
At a minimum, I wish that David Prowse had been better with a sword, or at least have a proper choreographer. Watching the OT now is just painful when you see Vader with his lightsaber. For someone who is established as one of the best (if not the best) Lightsaber wielders of all time, he is awful pedestrian with it versus Luke. Holding it with one hand, swinging it around, THROWING it???
Old February 15 2013, 02:51 AM   #289
CorporalClegg
Admiral

For me, the biggest distraction of the PT lightsaber battles is the green "flashes" that occur during saber strikes. They're most prominent during the original, but I think they're still there (to a much lesser degree) in the other two films.

I think lens flares will be a huge improvement.
Old February 15 2013, 02:56 AM   #290
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Did anyone notice that the only moment in all six films that a lightsaber casts a glow on its user is when Anakin and Dooku are squaring off in the Geonosis landing hangar near the end of Clones? Anakin or Dooku sever a power cable to nearby lights and things get dark for a few moments, and you can see the glows from their respective lightsabers bouncing off their faces and torsos.

In every other scene in the Saga where lightsabers are used there's no glow beamed onto and reflected by surrounding surfaces, even when it's dark.
Old February 15 2013, 03:10 AM   #291
CorporalClegg
Admiral

No. But now that you mention it, you're totally right.
Old February 15 2013, 05:24 PM   #292
RedShirt
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to RedShirt

tighr wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I don't think I would want Vader in the suit jumping around like the PT Jedi. It just would look weird to see someone in a big bulky suit jumping around like that. It looks good with characters in the loose flowing robes and clothes that the PT characters wear, but I just don't see it working with something like what OT Vader wears.
At a minimum, I wish that David Prowse had been better with a sword, or at least have a proper choreographer. Watching the OT now is just painful when you see Vader with his lightsaber. For someone who is established as one of the best (if not the best) Lightsaber wielders of all time, he is awful pedestrian with it versus Luke. Holding it with one hand, swinging it around, THROWING it???
Not exactly...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Anderson_%28fencer%29
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bob_Anderson
RedShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:54 PM   #293
Lowdarzz
Captain

I don't know if this has been posted but it looks like Ford might be back for Episode VII. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...rn-as-han-solo
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:56 PM   #294
tighr
Commodore

Ok, and this stops me from blaming the choreographer how?

It does not stop me from being unimpressed with the swordfighting in the movies.
Old February 15 2013, 05:59 PM   #295
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Good (if confirmed).

Harrison might not view Han as a meaty or very three-dimensional character to sink his teeth into but he knows what he meant to a generation of moviegoers who grew up with the OT. He's be insane to turn down the enormous paychecks that being in the Sequel Trilogy would mean along with the potential kick in the pants to his currently lethargic career.

He can complain all he wants about Han Solo being a character without any challenges or excitement to play, but if Disney and Lucasfilm dangle a big enough check in front of his eyes he'll jump in and give it everything he's got for a guy in his seventies.
Old February 15 2013, 06:03 PM   #296
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I'm of two minds on this. Part of me really wants to see the original cast back on screen, but another (perhaps larger) part thinks it might be best to just move on to new characters or recast.
Old February 15 2013, 07:33 PM   #297
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I can't say I'm too excited about the idea of seeing Ford, Fisher or Hamill return but we'll see what happens.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 08:01 PM   #298
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I can't say I'm too excited about the idea of seeing Ford, Fisher or Hamill return but we'll see what happens.
I haven't read any of the books but as I understand it [correct me if I'm wrong please] but doesn't Han's son become a sith Lord and then Emperor at some point?

There may be a role for Han to play in that downfall as his son turns to the dark side?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 08:06 PM   #299
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

DarthTom wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I haven't read any of the books but as I understand it [correct me if I'm wrong please] but doesn't Han's son become a sith Lord and then Emperor at some point?

There may be a role for Han to play in that downfall as his son turns to the dark side?
I have no idea, I've never read any SW books.
Outside the movies my only experience is with the KOTOR games and the Force Unleashed games.

And to be honest, with so many SW movies in the plans I would very much like to see some of them set in those "universes" than just see what happened to various characters from the OT.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 08:11 PM   #300
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

DarthTom wrote: View Post
There is no "at some point" anymore: the Expanded Universe is dead.