Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 2 2013, 12:13 AM   #61
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies: that last shot

lurok wrote: View Post
But as folks are having fun discussing in the Uncle Owen...thread, there's some dark stuff in that film And it's been noted the end shot (just to keep on topic) owes something to Riefenstahl.

Speaking of Heston earlier, I vaguely remember a film saw on TV where he was attacked by killer ants at or near climax. But can't remember if it was actual ending. That actor really suffered for his art!
That was probably The Naked Jungle . . . .
Old February 2 2013, 12:33 AM   #62
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Gaith wrote: View Post

I love this shot because, after an hour or so of (mostly) fun and games as Graysmith pursues his passion, we're reminded right at the end of the tragedy and horror of the killing spree. This young man just looks destroyed, even after all the years since.

Great point. Zodiac is one of the most horrifying and scary movies I've seen, since it happened. It was for real.

Also, I love that not only is the last character we see in the movie also the first character we see, but that they bring back "The Hurdy Gurdy Man" on the soundtrack just at the end. Just as the character remembers that night, as he remembers the song. I was in a theater with three other people but when the credits rolled I fucking stood up and applauded. I was so impressed by the movie.
Old February 11 2013, 10:03 PM   #63
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It's just so. sad.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 11:30 AM   #64
Konata Izumi
Commander

I like to think that the final few moments of a film can double or halve how good the movie is, might wear off after a while though.

12 Monkeys' last shot I'm going to rip off in my short film. The penultimate shot needs a honorable mention too.

Dancer in the Dark was doubled by its last shot. Last scene actually but the last shot's great too.

Saw's one of the best ever! "Game Over." *SLAM*

Last edited by Konata Izumi; February 13 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:00 PM   #65
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
I like to think that the final few moments of a film can double or halve how good the movie is, might wear off after a while though.

12 Monkeys' last shot I'm going to rip off in my short film. The penultimate shot needs a honorable mention too.

Dancer in the Dark was doubled by its last shot. Last scene actually but the last shot's great too.

Saw's one of the best ever! "Game Over." *SLAM*
I mean this as sincerely as possible: as someone who admires your efforts in the creative endeavor of making your own short films, why would you copy shots another film? Or, in your words, "rip off"?
Old February 13 2013, 05:31 PM   #66
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

sojourner wrote: View Post
Raiders of the Lost Ark - the crate being wheeled away among hundreds of other crates.
Yep. Perfect ending!

The last shot of The Hurt Locker- Sgt. James walking down the road in his bomb suit, with the ominous caption "Days left in rotation: 360" over it. You know he is eventually going to get blown up.
Old February 13 2013, 05:49 PM   #67
Avon
Fleet Captain

the dark night rises should've finished a couple of seconds earlier with michael caine nodding to the camera. would've been perfect.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:30 PM   #68
Konata Izumi
Commander

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I mean this as sincerely as possible: as someone who admires your efforts in the creative endeavor of making your own short films, why would you copy shots another film? Or, in your words, "rip off"?
I love it and it fits perfectly here with some changes, it's more a quick detail in this. It hardly rips off the whole movie of its originality.

It also opens with that music from Antichrist with some dicks in both senses of the word though...

It's still original, honest!
Old February 13 2013, 07:14 PM   #69
J.T.B.
Commodore

I'm not quite sure of the shots you're referring to: the last scene in the airport, the scene in the parking lot, or the scene inside the plane?
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 09:42 PM   #70
Konata Izumi
Commander

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I'm not quite sure of the shots you're referring to: the last scene in the airport, the scene in the parking lot, or the scene inside the plane?
Last shot's the kid's eyes. I'm not really sure if it's penultimate, but I meant the one inside the plane.
Old February 14 2013, 05:06 AM   #71
J.T.B.
Commodore

Last shot's the kid's eyes. I'm not really sure if it's penultimate, but I meant the one inside the plane.
I only ask because I find the end of the third-to-last scene, when Kathryn smiles at young Cole, to be the most powerful of the film.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 08:49 PM   #72
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

The last scene in Godfather as Michael becomes the new Don and the door shuts on Kay.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 08:52 PM   #73
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Oooh... what about Sleepaway Camp? Terrible movie until that last shot. I don't want to spoil anything.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:29 PM   #74
Konata Izumi
Commander

The Master was a good movie but the last shot was terrible. So black-and-white and crudely just tacked there. The rest of it wasn't like that at all.
Old February 24 2013, 10:40 PM   #75
Konata Izumi
Commander

Konata Izumi wrote:
I'm going to rip off in my short film
Neither part's in the head-treatment any longer as I changed the tone to something light-hearted and punkish as it drifted more and more depressing while the core idea was supposed to be light-hearted. Maybe I'll make it in the next month as the script's going to finish quickly now it's been thought through and the sets are gonna be just some pink painted cardboard castle walls and the acting's supposed to be just some unnaturally happy people.

Sometimes credits are more a part of the movie than usual. Dogville ended unexpectedly light-heartedly. Oh and the final shot's fine too.