Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 10 2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Why do you like Star Trek

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
^^I personally fear and hate the scary day moon.

He's a vampire! Stake him!
Old February 11 2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

From when I first saw a clip of the forthcoming (to British Televison) Star Trek on the national news on BBC1 in most probably late 1968 or early 1969, I just thought "Wow".

Kirk fighting the Gorn was the clip, and being an impressionable and slightly out there 9 year old, that memory will always live with me.

It was fresh, different, clever, even cerebral as some American TV critics said, but it was just amazing.
Still watch it to this day, well Kirks Star Trek, and still love it, but as a middle aged adult, I can now see its sometimes ridiculous flaws and I can nit pick with the best of them, however it will always be my favourite television programme, good or bad, always.

So shoot me
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

The fact that it manages to be both fun AND intellectual.
It does the moral debates as well as the exploding battleships. Many shows written as "entertainment" shy away from addressing fundamentally serious issues. Many shows classed as "serious" come across as leaden or depressing.
Trek is good entertainment with some depth to it - the perfect balance.
Old February 11 2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Because its scfi and I love how the show could possibly portray the future.
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 04:10 PM   #20
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Great question, but I don't have good answer. I just...do. I could give all the cliche responses but those really don't mean anything.

Ask me why I like pizza and I couldn't tell you why.
Old February 13 2013, 08:07 PM   #21
Use of Time
Commodore

I just love the atmosphere of all the Star Trek shows and movies.
Old February 13 2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Garrovick
Commander

Part of it's nostalgia, I'm sure, but the main reason is that it gives me hope for the future of our species and our planet. It's kind of hard to find that in other places nowadays.

Star Trek is one of the few parts of modern culture that doesn't make me think that Mike Judge was a prophet when he made Idiocracy.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 09:36 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I suspect that people's reasons for liking TREK change and evolve over time. I'd like to say that my seven-year-old self got hooked on STAR TREK because of its sophisticated topical commentary and progressive vision of the future, but let's be honest . . . I was in it for the monsters and spaceships.

Nowadays, of course, STAR TREK has been a part of my life for so long that I can't imagine not being a Trekkie . . . .
Old February 14 2013, 09:13 PM   #24
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The adventure, the drama, & the idea of a world where there are starships, aliens, Starfleet, and all sorts of fantastic cool technologies. Plus that world being something fun & exciting rather than depressing & bleak makes it something to aspire to rather than avoid.
Well said, agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I'm sure it has as much to do with nostalgic connections as its positive view of the future, plus fascinating storytelling with good camaraderie between the characters. My initial awareness was kids swapping "Star Trek" gum cards in the 60s but it was a show that aired after 8.30pm on a weeknight in Australia, so I was in bed.

I remember loving TAS in b/w on Saturday mornings in the 70s - and some eps of TOS that were specially selected to celebrate the arrival of colour TV in Australia in 1975. One of those eps I caught was definitely "The Devil in the Dark" - very memorable for so many reasons. I wish I could recall exactly which others, but possibly "Miri", "Arena", "The City on the Edge of Forever", "The Trouble With Tribbles" and "Spectre of the Gun". Certainly, McCoy's blue eyes were riveting; my whole family was fascinated with them.

Then I managed to avoid totally the huge "Star Wars" phenomenon of '77. I'm not sure why I didn't bother with it - because I really liked science fiction - but I'd just started teachers' college and I guess I was distracted by my studies (and all the related social aspects, such as writing and performing in skits, and representing my group on committees). But, in late 1979, my course was over and suddenly I needed something to do, especially since we'd been told to expect a four year wait for a full time job offer.

On the night of my 21st birthday party, a friend described his recent attendance at the gala premiere of ST:TMP. The cinema had been filled with people in costume, and I'd just been reading a series of newspaper articles about the "making of" this reunion movie that had reunited the cast. It suddenly became a "must see" movie. I bought the novelization, which I couldn't put down (I certainly hadn't planned on getting to the end before seeing the film) - and then used a birthday voucher to buy the soundtrack LP before getting to the cinema (no friends or relatives wanted to go with me, so I went alone) - and wow!

Within a few weeks, the potential void in my life left by my college graduation was suddenly filled with similar social aspects. I found local fandom: and I was again writing and performing in skits, making costumes, collecting and reading "Star Trek" models, hunting for "Star Trek" novels, new people to meet... and so on.

ST:TMP was a life-changing event for me. From then on, each new "Star Trek" movie, tie-in and sequel TV series was an adventure of anticipation, discovery and nostalgia.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 10:22 PM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The trousers, mainly.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 10:23 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The trousers, mainly.
You mean the lack of trousers on the ladies?
Old February 14 2013, 10:34 PM   #28
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I was hooked young in the early 70's, pre-TAS. I remember realizing what science fiction was by watching my first episode, The Cloud Minders. Making that leap, by myself as a child, prekindergarten, made a big impression on me. I haven't been the same since.
Old February 14 2013, 11:29 PM   #29
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

Because I find it interesting love scifi & fantasy I like adventure and I usually like the characters
Old February 15 2013, 04:30 AM   #30
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

It gives me hope that we will someday evolve from this ridiculously selifish and petty species that we are.