Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 14 2013, 01:53 AM   #1
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

Am I the only one who likes wesley?

I wont kid you, I liked wesley crusher.

Im not sure how much of that, was because I was maybe 11 or so when I started watching the show and enjoyed seeing a charachter who was closer to my age, dealing with issues involving control by gronwups etc, and proving himself smarter then them all.
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: Am I the only one who likes wesley?

I've long had a theory about Wesley and TNG. That it was really supposed to be 'his' journey. The series begins with him being something of an audience identification figure, with plots revolving around his rise through the ranks, his first ever 'official' away mission, etc. And one of the last episodes in the very last season is all about him leaving Starfleet, giving a nicely circular sense to his story.

I mean, TNG was always an 'ensemble' drama. But like him or not, Wesley clearly was always supposed to be a 'focus' character, and he is exactly that. A focus. Particularly in the early seasons.

(Does it sound like I'm trying very hard to find nice things to say about him? )
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 03:53 AM   #3
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

I'll admit that I once shit on Wesley every chance I could. These days, I don't find him so annoying. If you think about it, Wesley probably had the best possible environment to mature in, despite not having his biological father. However, you couldn't ask for better male role models than Picard and Riker.
Old February 14 2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Mutai Sho-Rin

I always liked Wesley because I was the parent of a precocious daughter not much younger than Wes. I could identify with both Wes and Beverly from my observant father's perch.
Old February 14 2013, 04:30 AM   #5
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I started watching TNG about the same age as you and I liked Wesley.

Now I still don't find him annoying except I think he should have been a little more like Jake. Not that he couldn't have been a boy genius, but he could have been a boy genius without acting like a Full House character. Maybe, a little less irritatingly nervous around girls, maybe making a few more mistakes that didn't revolve around science experiments.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 05:22 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Hijinks, he needed to have hijinks.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 05:39 AM   #7
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Early Wesley was pretty awful. Being given Gene's middle name, and the kid being a genius, it was obvious it was an ego thing for Gene. Once Gene took a backseat in the writing, Wesley became likable.

Season 3 onward, he became a much better character. A great start to season 3 showed that he was just as infallible as the next guy. He was good all the way up to his departure, and his occasional visit. He was great in The First Duty. Journey's End, though, what an ass.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Lance
Fleet Captain

Retrospective Wesley love is helped by Wil Weaton being adopted as a geek icon of late, too. The Big Bang Theory has helped us all appreciate him a little better.
Old February 14 2013, 10:50 PM   #9
Relayer1
Commodore

The character is awful - that's no reflection on Will Wheaton who I find quite likeable.

The fault is all Gene's...
Old February 15 2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Young Wes is sort of annoying, but older Wesley isn't bad.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 12:19 AM   #11
Jeyl
Commodore

I must admit, if I played a part in the story that no one liked and later found out that I was essentially being used as a Mary Sue, I would kind of feel violated. Wes feels less like a character and more like some guy's self-indulging fantasy who thinks he can do no wrong. Plus, Wesley was once planned to be a girl for reasons I can totally relate to (How many promising sons are there in fiction?). Unfortunately Gene said no because dang it, Wesley ain't a girl's name!

But despite that, I can understand how Wesley can appeal to others, so to each their own. Just be thankful that Picard didn't end up becoming his twist ending father.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Dream
Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Just be thankful that Picard didn't end up becoming his twist ending father.
That twist would have completely destroyed Picard as a character!
Old February 15 2013, 11:25 AM   #13
FreddyE
Commander

I don´t get all the Wesley-hate. I love him! Yes, he was written pretty cheesy at times, and maybe a bit less of "wizz-kid" would have been good...but I still like him.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Lance
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Wesley was once planned to be a girl for reasons I can totally relate to (How many promising sons are there in fiction?). Unfortunately Gene said no because dang it, Wesley ain't a girl's name!
I think it was Bob Justman who lobbied for Wesley to be a girl, because he felt that television hadn't really done much to explore "mom and daughter" stories, and that it'd make for an interesting dynamic change. The early casting sheet for the series, as well as at least one story outline of "Encounter At Farpoint" by D.C. Fontana, made the assumption of the cast containing a 'Lesley Crusher'. But as we all know, Wesley as a boy won out.

I agree, it's a shame. "Smart whizz-kid boy" is such a cliched trope in fiction it would have been far more interesting to have seen TNG do it with a girl instead.
Old February 15 2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I liked him probably after the second season when he wasn't in a goofy-eyed doofus in ridiculous sweaters, when they had toned down him and his "genius" and saving/imperiling the ship every other week. When they treated him as a more "normal" person it worked a lot better for me.