RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,525
Posts: 5,512,466
Members: 25,138
Currently online: 480
Newest member: Bazzzz85

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 14 2013, 08:05 PM   #1786
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
my library doesn't have books 1-3 or 5, so its not like I had a choice
Erm, you could buy the books?
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 10:47 PM   #1787
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
S. Gomez wrote: View Post
As for my reading, I just started a book called The Floating Admiral...written by a whole bunch of authors! Back in the Golden Age of detective fiction, circa 1930s, many of the best-selling writers of the day (including Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers) were part of an informal group called The Detection Club. And one day someone got the crazy idea to write a collaborative novel. Each writer produced a chapter, handed it on to the next writer, and so on. The solution was not foreseen at the outset, so the last person had to tie everything together. In addition, each contributor handed in their own solution in a sealed envelope to be printed at the back of the book. It sounds like a giant mess...but really it was just a game they played with themselves for their own amusement. And it couldn't have been that bad because they did it a couple more times.
I haven't read that one, but I do have and have read the next one, Ask a Policeman. In that one, there's a mystery at the outset, and the writers then swap detectives so Anthony Berkley writers a Lord Peter Wimsey story, Helen Simpson writes a Mrs. Bradley story, etc., that solves the mystery. It's a fun book.
After finishing The Floating Admiral, I'm game to pick up that one some time. Unfortunately the only one of the detectives I'm really familiar with is Lord Peter Wimsey, which might make the book less enjoyable. Or does it?

***

Meanwhile, everyone can see what I'm reading now from my avatar and signature.
__________________
Marvellous Adventure--Online periodical with escape, excitement, and adventure
S. Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 03:39 AM   #1788
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I haven't read that one, but I do have and have read the next one, Ask a Policeman. In that one, there's a mystery at the outset, and the writers then swap detectives so Anthony Berkley writers a Lord Peter Wimsey story, Helen Simpson writes a Mrs. Bradley story, etc., that solves the mystery. It's a fun book.
After finishing The Floating Admiral, I'm game to pick up that one some time. Unfortunately the only one of the detectives I'm really familiar with is Lord Peter Wimsey, which might make the book less enjoyable. Or does it?
At the time I read Ask a Policeman, the only detective in the book I was familiar with was Wimsey. I don't think the lack of knowledge on my part made it difficult to understand.

The way I remember it (and it's been about fifteen years since I last read it), AaP has an opening act of about a quarter of the book where the mystery is set up. Then there are four short stories by members of the Detection Club where they swap detectives and have them offer solutions to the mystery. Then there's an epilogue where we find out the real solution to the mystery.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 03:47 AM   #1789
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The way I remember it (and it's been about fifteen years since I last read it), AaP has an opening act of about a quarter of the book where the mystery is set up. Then there are four short stories by members of the Detection Club where they swap detectives and have them offer solutions to the mystery. Then there's an epilogue where we find out the real solution to the mystery.
That's actually a little disturbing, in-story. These four great detectives, and only one of them figures out the right answer? That's a pretty low success rate, and it calls their deductions in their solo adventures into question.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:43 AM   #1790
Keturah
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I currently enjoying Plagues of Night. I really like the way it's tied together a few of the Typhon Pact storylines. I've seen complaints that the stories are somewhat fragmented, but that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it's been perfect for me right now because if I just have a few minutes I can read one complete scene in a short sitting. Looking forward to Raise the Dawn.
Keturah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:16 AM   #1791
Smellincoffee
Commodore
 
Smellincoffee's Avatar
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

The Persistence of Memory and The Space Between. The latter is a...Christian take on new urbanism, which is a fascinating combination.
__________________
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:24 AM   #1792
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Christopher wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The way I remember it (and it's been about fifteen years since I last read it), AaP has an opening act of about a quarter of the book where the mystery is set up. Then there are four short stories by members of the Detection Club where they swap detectives and have them offer solutions to the mystery. Then there's an epilogue where we find out the real solution to the mystery.
That's actually a little disturbing, in-story. These four great detectives, and only one of them figures out the right answer? That's a pretty low success rate, and it calls their deductions in their solo adventures into question.
That problem is acknowledged in the book. I don't remember how it's dealt with.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 08:18 AM   #1793
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Someone other than Dorothy L. Sayers writing Lord Peter. Hmmmm.

I have to admit I'm a bit interested in seeing how that goes.
__________________
Marvellous Adventure--Online periodical with escape, excitement, and adventure
S. Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 12:50 PM   #1794
USS Firefly
Commander
 
USS Firefly's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Ian Fleming: On her majesty's secret service
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 01:34 AM   #1795
Smellincoffee
Commodore
 
Smellincoffee's Avatar
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

As I'm reading Persistence of Memory, I can't help but note that I seem to be missing some of the background. When did Data find his mother and fall in love?!
__________________
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:03 AM   #1796
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
As I'm reading Persistence of Memory, I can't help but note that I seem to be missing some of the background. When did Data find his mother and fall in love?!
Data met his "mother" in the TNG episode, "Inheritance."

Data became romantically involved with a female crew member in the TNG ep, "In Theory."
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:10 AM   #1797
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

^I think Smellincoffee is referring to Rhea McAdams, who was introduced in Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang. As Dave states in the acknowledgments, the entire Cold Equations trilogy is essentially a sequel to Immortal Coil.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 03:35 AM   #1798
Smellincoffee
Commodore
 
Smellincoffee's Avatar
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
As I'm reading Persistence of Memory, I can't help but note that I seem to be missing some of the background. When did Data find his mother and fall in love?!
Data met his "mother" in the TNG episode, "Inheritance."

Data became romantically involved with a female crew member in the TNG ep, "In Theory."
Note to self, I haven't seen every episode of TNG...apparently.

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I think Smellincoffee is referring to Rhea McAdams, who was introduced in Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang. As Dave states in the acknowledgments, the entire Cold Equations trilogy is essentially a sequel to Immortal Coil.
I was indeed. Thank you both for the response. Now I have a paperback to investigate (after this trilogy, anyway) and an episode to watch...).

So far I'm enjoying it -- I rather like the Soongs. Arik Soong is one of the reasons I like Enterprise's 4th season so much.
__________________
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 05:45 AM   #1799
WarsTrek1993
Captain
 
Location: The Final Frontier, TX
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I've finished Jeri Taylor's Mosaic, and I thought it was pretty solid, despite not being a huge fan of the TV show Voyager.

Next, I'm reading Peter Telep's Ghost Recon: Choke Point.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 05:32 PM   #1800
Reanok
Commodore
 
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I'm reading book3 of Errand of Fury These books are writen alot like the Typhon pact books when it comes to the political stuff going on in the Federation and the Klingon Empire.I've really enjoyed reading this series of books again.I plan on reading TNG Dyson sphere next.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.