RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 559
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 14 2013, 05:11 AM   #16
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Indiana Jones and the Magic Fridge

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Bold is emphasis, italics is emphasis, CAPITALIZATION is SHOUTING.
SHOUTING IS WHEN ALL OF THE WORDS ARE CAPITALIZED.
WRONG!
Old February 14 2013, 05:19 AM   #17
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Aliens crosses a line, but not the spirits of God? THAT is to much to accept?
Well yeah, because even if you're not a believer, it's not that hard to buy the idea of the Ark of the Covenant (if it were to ever be found) containing some kind of dark and ancient and mysterious power.
I believe in the context of the movie, sure. But in real life? dark and ancient and mysterious powers are hogwash.

The whole "ancient alien" thing, on the other hand, is just a bunch of cheesy New Age nonsense that only got popular in the last 60 years or so. There's no real history to the idea, and it doesn't go back to nearly as deep and primal a place as religion does.
I guess for this atheist: ancient aliens and God are about equal in real life, both works of imagination. But, I'm willing to accept them as elements IN fiction.

Bold is emphasis, italics is emphasis, CAPITALIZATION is SHOUTING.
SHOUTING IS WHEN ALL OF THE WORDS ARE CAPITALIZED.
WRONG!
CANADA disagrees with you.

Question:

I like to use capital letters for emphasis, but I've heard that this practice is not recommended. Should I stop using them?

Answer:

It is better to avoid typing text all in capitals unless you are emphasizing only a few words.
Here's from Wiki:

ALL CAPS: Only capital letters are used. Capital letters were sometimes used for typographical emphasis in text made on a typewriter. However, long spans of Latin-alphabet text in all upper-case are harder to read because of the absence of the ascenders and descenders found in lower-case letters, which can aid recognition. With the advent of the Internet, all-caps is more often used for emphasis; however, it is considered poor "netiquette" by some to type in all capitals, and said to be tantamount to shouting
Clearly I'm not using ALL caps for every word, I'm using it for emphasis, on specific words. Even your link, Netiquette:

There are caveats and exceptions.
So... back on topic?
Old February 14 2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I never saw anything wrong with any of the movies' storytelling. It was fantasy after all. I mean a box that holds vengeful spirits which kill everything that looks at them? That was the first film, guys.
Old February 14 2013, 11:41 AM   #19
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I love the Atomic Fridge. Very ingenious solution to a certain-death situation in the Saturday-morning movie serial tradition. Because that's what the Indy movies are.

About the only thing that really bothered me in the Indy movies (in terms of stunts) was the life raft. It just looked so wrong. Toast always lands butter-side down for a reason.
Old February 14 2013, 12:42 PM   #20
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I didn't mind the fridge stuff nearly as much as the shenanigans in the jungle later on.

The thing that bugged me though is that the first 20 odd minutes of KOTCS felt like the ending to a better movie that we had missed the first two thirds of.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I never saw anything wrong with any of the movies' storytelling. It was fantasy after all. I mean a box that holds vengeful spirits which kill everything that looks at them? That was the first film, guys.
Same with me. The first movie had the vengeful spirits, the second had some evil cult, the third had an immortal knight guarding the Holy Grail (and Indy's dad was instantly cured by it). The fridge scene was OK for this sort of a movie and KOTCS was far more enjoyable than The Temple Of Doom.
Old February 14 2013, 03:25 PM   #22
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I love the Atomic Fridge. Very ingenious solution to a certain-death situation in the Saturday-morning movie serial tradition. Because that's what the Indy movies are.
This. The movies always seemed to reflect the popular culture of the time they were set. So, 1950s, commies and aliens? Makes total sense.

About the only thing that really bothered me in the Indy movies (in terms of stunts) was the life raft. It just looked so wrong. Toast always lands butter-side down for a reason.
Yeah, the blue screening was a little wonky... especially viewed through the lens of now... but... meh, I don't mind. There's still enough in Temple of Doom that I enjoy it.
Old February 14 2013, 06:03 PM   #23
sojourner
Admiral

I actually think the nuked fridge scene would have worked better if we had seen it just roll a few times and end up in the street outside the remains of the house. Having it get shaken like it's in a paint mixer is what made it break the suspension of disbelief for me.
Old February 14 2013, 08:38 PM   #24
Gojira
Commodore

I loved the fridge scene, it was fun and I never understood the complaints about it when there are other similar far fetched things in the entire series. A Knight that has lived for several hundred years, the spirit of God from the first movie and so many other implausible things that never bothered me.

I love movies that features aliens and the Indy franchise had dealt with so many other things that it felt natural to me. I loved the most recent movie and did not have a problem with it.
Old February 14 2013, 08:51 PM   #25
sojourner
Admiral

There was a nice bit in KOTCS. When Indy and son are on the motorcycle chase there's a moment where the exchange looks that perfectly mirrors the scene from Last Crusade's motorcycle chase when Indy and his father exchange looks. Son happy and excited, the father disproving in both cases.
Old February 14 2013, 10:33 PM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
I loved the fridge scene, it was fun and I never understood the complaints about it when there are other similar far fetched things in the entire series. A Knight that has lived for several hundred years, the spirit of God from the first movie and so many other implausible things that never bothered me.

I love movies that features aliens and the Indy franchise had dealt with so many other things that it felt natural to me. I loved the most recent movie and did not have a problem with it.
I love aliens too, but ultimately I just think they're way too "scifi" for an Indiana Jones movie.

Ancient spirits and immortal knights might be equally ridiculous, but at least they're a lot more consistent with the world of religious artifacts and archaeological ruins Indy was a part of.

Of course it didn't help that the surrounding movie was such a silly, ridiculous farce. Maybe if it had treated the material with the kind of seriousness Raiders had, the alien thing would have worked after all. But it was just hard to take anything in that movie seriously.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 10:49 PM   #27
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Shurik wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
Same with me. The first movie had the vengeful spirits, the second had some evil cult, the third had an immortal knight guarding the Holy Grail (and Indy's dad was instantly cured by it). The fridge scene was OK for this sort of a movie and KOTCS was far more enjoyable than The Temple Of Doom.
Agreed.

Besides, as has been said, they're fantasy films. Why does everything have to make sense?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Of course it didn't help that the surrounding movie was such a silly, ridiculous farce. Maybe if it had treated the material with the kind of seriousness Raiders had, the alien thing would have worked after all. But it was just hard to take anything in that movie seriously.
It's funny that you say that... I always think of Last Crusade in that way... that's why it's my least favorite of the trilogy.
Old February 14 2013, 11:32 PM   #29
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

So in the first film he finds the ark and people are concerned that he survived a fall into a lake in a raft?

Can someone start a "That Superman who can fly and survive nuclear explosions - how come the bottom of his boots don't get dirty?" thread?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 10:03 PM   #30
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Only if it also covers where Superman hides his boots when he's Clark Kent.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote