Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 13 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

Survivor 26: Fans vs Favorites Discussion

And so the clouds parted and Jeff Probst came floating down from the sky with a gift for all of mankind. That gift is another season of Survivor. Yay.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your cast for Survivor's latest incarnation:

So we have a few interesting returnees.....whoah, yup, Phillip is still wearing his colorful ginch......but a couple of no namers that didn't really stand out in their respective seasons. I'm excited to see how annoying Cochrane will be, if Brandon will actually kill a woman, if Malcolm can put together another solid season, if Brenda has a nip slip while dominating the field and if Erik commits some sort of Survivor ritual suicide after pulling off the most boneheaded move in Survivor history by giving up his immunity in his last go round.

I think in the last Fans vs Favorites the Fans got absolutely dominated. Last season was really good I thought, so hopefully this one carries the momentum.

Trekbbs ready..........go!
Old February 13 2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Darth Duck
Commodore

Re: Survivor 26: Fans vs Favorites Discussion

Favorites must have a different meaning in TV land. Go Malcolm and Brenda.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 04:55 AM   #3
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Survivor is one of the few things on TV that I make a point of consistently watching even if I miss an episode for one reason or another, and I've really been looking forward to this season premiering.

I personally love that the Favorites tribe has several people on it that were better known for their blunders and mistakes, as bringing them back gives them a chance to redeem and/or reinvent themselves.

I don't think we need to spoiler-tag our episode comments, but I'm going to anyway.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Garak
Nothing's for freeeeeeeee

Francesca! Hilarious, I wouldn't have thought that was possible to be voted out the first time twice, but here we are. Truthfully though I really don't find her to be a likeable person. She's kind of a bitch and doesn't bring much to the table.

Great immunity challenge, that structure they built was massive!! Hope they go for it like that all season. Great comeback by the Fans too.

Phillip is in fine form. And Brandon doesn't trust the hot chick, what a shocker. I would have thought that after watching those two in previous seasons you'd avoid making alliances with them like they were lepers, but there's people willing to wheel and deal with them.

Good start, looking forward to the rest of it.
Old February 14 2013, 06:04 PM   #5
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

I wonder if it's like previous seasons where the allstars wouldn't know Malcolm at all because they were filming while the season was airing.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Interesting premiere episode. Cochran was always my favorite on his season, so I'm hoping that he goes far. I also really liked Erik. It would be great if they could get together, as I think they'd make a formidable duo, but unfortunately that isn't looking likely at this point.

I actually didn't mind Francesca, I liked her sarcastic humor, it reminds me of a couple of old friends I used to have. But, I'm not terribly upset at her leaving first again, in fact it's pretty funny!

The newbies aren't too exciting yet, though the "popular clique" probably won't be around long, which is a good thing since a couple of them seem like complete dodos.

Should be a great season!
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Skywalker
Admiral

I love that Francesca was the first one voted out again! I really don't understand why they brought her back as a "favorite." A favorite of who? Jeff Probst? Because I highly doubt she was high on anyone's list as a fan favorite.

I also found the "cool kids' table" alliance amusing. They do realize that they're a minority alliance of four in a tribe of ten, right? They're going to get destroyed just like the "alpha male" club did in One World.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I imagine they brought her back merely to antagonize Phillip. I too enjoy that they've gathered up mostly misfits this time. Looking forward to next week's billed Hantzsplosion.
Old February 15 2013, 02:35 AM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

A Survivor thread? One minute.

*walks out*
*comes back in wearing fake mustache*

Good evening, gentlemen. My name is Reginald Q Featherbottom, and I do very much enjoy the show Survivor.

I thought they did a great job casting the favorites. I like seeing the way Philip and Cochran grew since their last appearance on the show.

I do wish they would bring back veterans less often though. They should either have an entire cast of new contestants or an all-star season. When there's only two or three veterans they just absorb the entire show. One tribe of veterans is ok, I guess, but they haven't done a non-veteran show for two years.

Skywalker wrote: View Post

I also found the "cool kids' table" alliance amusing. They do realize that they're a minority alliance of four in a tribe of ten, right? They're going to get destroyed just like the "alpha male" club did in One World.
And just like the real cool kids, they don't know that 10 - 4 = 6.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 05:09 AM   #10
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Jeff Probst has said that every season from now on is going to feature returning players because it makes for good TV.

I've stayed fairly spoiler-free but do know enough to know that this season isn't going to play out as smoothly as some people might think or expect, which should make for interesting viewing.

Old February 15 2013, 05:49 AM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Does it really make better TV, or does it just make the show easier to promote?

Heroes vs Villians was awesome but the first All-Stars was awful, and now we're getting fewer new stars because all the new castaways automatically align with the returning castmembers.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 06:02 AM   #12
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ Yes, it does; the ratings for seasons that have featured returning players have generally outperformed seasons that haven't ratings-wise, and are generally considered to be among the best seasons of the show from a popularity standpoint.

Old February 18 2013, 03:02 AM   #13
Snaploud
Admiral

I thought I had posted something a few days ago, but it seems to have disappeared (or never got posted in the first place). *shrugs*

Anyway, I thought it was funny how Jeff called one of the teams "heroes." He's obviously lost track of what season he's on...

As for the cool group: I agree that it was one of the funniest moments of the episode. They're just begging to be voted off early.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

Self labeling yourself as "The Cool Group", how disgusting.
Old February 19 2013, 07:31 PM   #15
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

especially when Cochrane is so obviously the coolest.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote