Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 14 2013, 07:11 AM   #1
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

24th Century Civilian Clothes

Why is it that every piece of civilian clothing seen in 24th century trek is horrible? Everyone wears horrible vests or horrible pajamas.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Dream
Admiral

Re: 24th Century Civilian Clothes

Yes, they always look awful.

Of course, the Trek characters would probably think our 21st century clothes look horrible!
Old February 14 2013, 08:43 AM   #3
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I strongly agree with the OP.

In TOS, civilians and Federation civil authorities wore suits that were awkward but not atrocious. But starting with the movies, the civies got sensationally bad.

In TMP, McCoy beams up in a sleazy, "Hey baby, I have a hot tub" track suit with a plunging neckline. His giant gold medallion is just icing on the '70s schlock, and worst of all you can see more of the doctor's private practice than you want to.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0671.jpg

In ST-III and IV, Kirk wears a lady's red pantsuit with a delicate lavender blouse that makes me want to puke. The backstory in IV says that they spent months on Vulcan before heading for Earth. So, having made such a horrible fashion mistake in III, why couldn't they get better clothes for IV? Vulcan is not a desert island.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0620.jpg

In III, Chekov's civilian look starts out with a big, white collar that was so bad, when a studio executive saw it in the dailies he ordered it yanked. So it just disappears in the film.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0597.jpg
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I just remembered, in an interview about ST-V, Laurence Luckinbill said that for his Sybok costume, they originally gave him a filmy robe and expected him to wear it with nothing underneath, to avoid lines showing through. He complained ("You've got to give me something to wear").

The movies needed better costume design talent than they got, plain and simple.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
yousirname
Commander

Fashion It So is a pretty funny blog that reviews TNG episodes from a fashion perspective. More entertaining than it probably sounds.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Finn
Vice Admiral

I wonder what people from 400 years ago would think of how we dress

Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:46 AM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It's horrible because they're clothes we wouldn't wear in our time and society. Federation fashion even became reminiscent of the 1960s during the mid 23rd-Century.
Old February 14 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Finn
Vice Admiral

right
Finn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 12:15 PM   #9
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

It's not just that they're ugly. These clothes and the people who wear them have no sense of style, they've got no design sense. It's as if fashion had ceased to exist. Compare TNG with a movie like The Fifth Element, where, whether we think the result looks nice or not, some effort was made to think about the future of fashion.
Old February 14 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Metryq
Captain

The "One World" aspect of TREK is really a tyranny, and the horrible civilian clothes are a subtle pressure to urge people to enlist, Herbert.
Old February 14 2013, 02:52 PM   #11
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

We all have our bad fashion times. We had the 1970s. Maybe the 2270s or 2380s were a similar era.

Maybe our heroes just lack any fashion sense and have no good judgment in their off-duty hours.

I'm no fashion expert, but what I find noticeable is the lack of general style in the future.

Today you might see a group of fellows in casual garb and it's similar... variations of jeans and tee-shirt, for example. Or another group wearing suits. Different colors and variations, but same general outfit.

It seems every time ST folks are in civvies, each one is in a wildly different style (one a leisure suit, another with flowing robes, another with pajamas, and so on).

In other words, we don't see O'Brien and Geordi both wearing the same kind of civvies the way two friends today would be seen both wearing tee-shirts and jeans together.

Whatever we see one fellow wearing, it can never be similar to what the next guy has on, the way people dress similarly to each other today.

Or something like this.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 03:17 PM   #12
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

In all fairness, McCoy's civilian outfit in TWOK was pretty cool.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 04:41 PM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

Civilian clothes in the 24th century really are terrible. I guess the reason people join Starfleet is to get something decent to wear. 23rd century isn't much better, although most civilians we see throughout TOS are workers so the jumpsuits can be excused as practical clothing for their job. I don't mind McCoy's "space disco" look in TMP or any of the civilian outfits we see the characters wear in TSFS/TVH. Sure they may have a distinctive 70s/80s look to them, but that is the era they were made in.
Old February 14 2013, 05:09 PM   #14
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
. . . I guess the reason people join Starfleet is to get something decent to wear. 23rd century isn't much better, although most civilians we see throughout TOS are workers so the jumpsuits can be excused as practical clothing for their job.
Elisha Cook Jr.'s outfit in "Court Martial" looked pretty cool.

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
. . . I'm no fashion expert, but what I find noticeable is the lack of general style in the future.

Today you might see a group of fellows in casual garb and it's similar... variations of jeans and tee-shirt, for example. Or another group wearing suits. Different colors and variations, but same general outfit.
Of course, just because everyone in the future is wearing similar fashions doesn't mean they can't look ridiculous.

Last edited by scotpens; February 14 2013 at 05:19 PM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

In terms of Civilian clothes, people of the 22nd Century got it right and in the centuries to come it went downhill.
CaptainMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote