Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 14 2013, 03:48 PM   #16
EddyDrama
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Extract MIDI files from Judgement Rites?

Nacluv wrote: View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this? Considering how big the game is, it would be very time-consuming to record them all one by one.

But when it comes to Judgement Rites, I'm kinda lost. Has anyone else attempted this before?
Have you tried asking from ScummVM developers? As I understand they have had to reverse engineer some of the sound players of old game engines in order to get those games working with the ScummVM software. I know that at some point at least some people have worked on Judgement Rites and 25th Anniversary but never got any games to be completable on ScummVM, so they might have some knowledge. Other than that, I have no other ideas.
EddyDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2013, 04:14 AM   #17
Python1980
Ensign

Hi,

If you still need a way to extract the .001 files I stumbled upon this util awhile ago http://oezmen.eu/gameresources/ just scroll down the list to Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites. It worked fine on the floppy version of Judgment rites and mostly fine on the CD version.

On a kinda related note has anyone ever had MT-32 working properly with the limited edition CD version of Judgment Rites? Using the Daum SVN of dosbox (which has munt built into it) I have no trouble with the floppy version but the CD version seems to play a GM track even when setup for MT-32. I have been seeing if anyone on the Vogons website could help as well so if someone is interested in taking a crack at this please also look at http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35933#p316421
Python1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Borjis
Commodore

whoa! playing the midi files via MT-32 would have much nicer sounding instruments correct?

Like those games that supported the SoundBlaster AWE32 back in the day?
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 06:41 AM   #19
Python1980
Ensign

Yes, as long as the game has music written for MT-32 it will sound better than the General Midi or Sound Blaster options but not all games that have an MT-32 option were written to use it (see incomplete list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...computer_games). Also keep in mind that older MT-32 games did not have a separate driver option for sound effects so in those games you will only get music when using MT-32.

25th anniversary and judgment rites both have MT-32 music (and sound really good played this way) but as I mentioned in my above post there seems to be an issue with the CD release of judgment rites.

Obviously the best results for playing MT-32 games come when using a real MT-32 but thanks to Munt there is a pretty good software approximation available. Munt is built into some custom builds of Dosbox like Daum. All you need is a copy of the MT-32 rom (which for copyright reasons you will need to find yourself) put into the Daum root folder, edit Daum dosbox.conf line "mididevice=default" to "mididevice=mt32" and configure the games options to use MT32. Dont forget to change back "mididevice=" to default when playing non MT-32 games (or use different profiles for each game you run in dosbox).
Old August 30 2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Python1980
Ensign

For anyone who is interested a gentleman by the name of tiakalat on the VOGONS forum has fixed the MT-32 detection issue for STJR CD. The game will now load and use MT-32 during game play. See here for patch http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?...319701#p319345
Old August 30 2013, 06:19 PM   #21
Borjis
Commodore

wow! thanks I'm going to try that. I don't think I ever heard the better instrument music in MT-32.

speaking of audio hacks, I wish there was a way to replace the lousy transporter effects sound in the Judgement Rites CD.

In 25th anniversary CD they have the real sound effect from the show....hell the add on for Judgement Rites floppy disk version had it too, but they left it out of the CD Rom version.
Old August 31 2013, 11:39 PM   #22
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Python1980 wrote: View Post
Hi,

If you still need a way to extract the .001 files I stumbled upon this util awhile ago http://oezmen.eu/gameresources/ just scroll down the list to Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites. It worked fine on the floppy version of Judgment rites and mostly fine on the CD version.
I just tried that program, somehow I couldn't get it to work with my neither my Judgment Rites CD nor a floppy version I found on the Internet.

Perhaps, I misunderstood the instructions because I work with DOS programs almost on a daily basis, so that's not the problem.

It would be nice to see how much music I missed / skipped when I captured the MIDI music live from the game.

Also, do you know if there's any music in 25th Anniversary that is not included in Judgment Rites?

And when you ripped music from the 25th Anniversary game, did it sound properly in your MT-32? I know that in Sierra games you have to "record" the MT-32 MIDI music live to get it with the right instrumentation, but I guess that's not the case with the engines used in these games.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2013, 12:15 AM   #23
Borjis
Commodore

For anyone who is interested a gentleman by the name of tiakalat on the VOGONS forum has fixed the MT-32 detection issue for STJR CD. The game will now load and use MT-32 during game play. See here for patch http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?...319701#p319345

Holy Crap!!!

The midi music sounds AMAZING!

It's like getting a whole new update to the game...WOW!

I got 25th anniversary working by installing MUNT.
found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mWKVG9NnM

you don't even have to use the dosbox he includes in the download.
just install munt, then goto your sound settings in control panel
and switch your midi device to the MT-32 then run setup for 25th anniversary
and change the midi to MT-32...sounds so so much better!

gonna try getting Judgement Rites working...

I wonder if there's a way to get my tablet with dosbox turbo to sound like this.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Apparently so!

As of DosBox 2.1.0 MT-32 is indeed supported.

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxturbo/
Old September 1 2013, 01:15 AM   #24
Borjis
Commodore

hmm I downloaded the patch files and used that utility to patch them,
then copied the new .exe over.

when I run setup for Judgment Rites, which port is the MT-32 supposed to be set for?

I tried all of them, it just hangs in a black screen after interplay logo shows.
Old September 1 2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Python1980
Ensign

Nacluv:

I dont understand what might have gone wrong, all I did to use the program was:

1. extract trekext2.exe and trekext2.pas to the game folder
2. goto the game folder in dosbox
3. type "trekext2 data.dir data.001" or "trekext2 fed.dir fed.001" etc

On the floppy version of STJR it went merrily away and unpacked the .001 file, for the CD it unpacked some then spat an error hence my saying it mostly worked on this version. No issue with ST25th for me either.

Im not sure about any tracks in ST25th that are not in STJR, but I dont think there are any.

Like yourself the only way I personally managed to get MT-32 music out of the game was to use dosbox midi recording. These recordings sounded fine on MT-32. If you want the XMI dumps then I would suggest you follow the link I posted for the STJR patch and ask tikalat how he got them, he is a wiz at driver hacking and has been (along with New Rising Sun) fixing many driver/sound issues for MT-32 and GM in Sierra/Apoggee/Lucasarts/Interplay games.

Borjis:

The port dosbox uses by default for midi is 330. Not sure why it might be hanging as the patch worked perfect for me on my Collectors CD version. Did it black screen before patching with MT-32 selected? Without the patch the game will still run when MT-32 is chosen, it just wont sound quite right.

Last edited by Python1980; September 1 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old September 2 2013, 07:04 PM   #26
Borjis
Commodore

ya it launched fine before I made the changes.

what did you set the JR audio setup for?
330 on the mt32?

any chance you could post a .zip file with the .exe and
patched files?

I wonder if maybe i patched them improperly somehow
Old September 3 2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Python1980
Ensign

For JR audio I selected MT32 for music device with port 330 and for sound I used soundblaster pro with port 220 irq 7 dma 1. I do not have access on this forum to attach files so I cant post the patched files.

The patches are only to fix General Midi reset issues anyway. If you are going to use MT-32 then all you really need is to overwrite your games trekjr.exe with the new one tikalat made which fixes the MT-32 detection issue.

I know this is an obvious and probably silly question but just to cover all bases you are using the CD collectors edition and not the floppy version? I ask as tikalats exe is specifically for the collectors CD and wont work (and is not needed) for other versions.

Last edited by Python1980; September 3 2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old September 3 2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Haha, thanks to your post I saw instantly what I did wrong. I forgot that I had to type trekext2 instead of trekextr. While the program's name is trekext2 and even the readme instructs you to type trekext2, the info within Trekext2 still refers to its program as TREKEXTR.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2013, 07:52 PM   #29
Borjis
Commodore

For JR audio I selected MT32 for music device with port 330 and for sound I used soundblaster pro with port 220 irq 7 dma 1. I do not have access on this forum to attach files so I cant post the patched files.

The patches are only to fix General Midi reset issues anyway. If you are going to use MT-32 then all you really need is to overwrite your games trekjr.exe with the new one tikalat made which fixes the MT-32 detection issue.

I know this is an obvious and probably silly question but just to cover all bases you are using the CD collectors edition and not the floppy version? I ask as tikalats exe is specifically for the collectors CD and wont work (and is not needed) for other versions.

Thanks for replying, I am on the CD Collectors edition, running DosBox .74 i think.
25th anniversary plays MT32 perfectly, so something must be right.

I did try to using the auto detect sound utility in the STJR CD setup screen.
it just found soundblaster 16 for both sound and music.

I'll try your suggestions.
Can't wait to hear it!

one last clarification, if I don't really need the patch files...what is it they are supposed to do?
(what would I be missing by not utilizing them)

thanks again for posting about the MT-32.
I had a soundblaster AWE32 back in the day and was in AWE (pun intended) at how much better the midi music was on the games that supported it. And I always wished these Interplay Trek titles could sound better...and now they do.

On a side note, I wonder if it's possible to locate the transporter effect sound in whichever file it is
and replace it with the more authentic sound in 25th anniversary cd, then repack it so it sounds
that way in Judgement Rites CD.
Old September 4 2013, 02:34 AM   #30
Borjis
Commodore

ok I got Judgment Rites working with the MT32 midi.

I deleted the modified data and fed files and used the original ones,
so I'm only using the updated exe.

I ran the setup and picked the same exact settings for sound that
you did which are different than I ran before, but anyways it works!

Interesting that the mouse click beep sound is different (has more reverb)
I also noticed the transporter sound f/x must be midi based as they
now also sound different but not sounding like 25th anniversary does.

Fun stuff!