IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 13 2013, 03:44 PM   #46
ToddCam
Captain

Re: 3-D Anniversary Special

So dumb. I saw The Hobbit in 3D (had free passes) and it was very distracting, and made things look flat. Why won't this fad die?
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 04:35 PM   #47
StCoop
Commodore

ToddCam wrote: View Post
Why won't this fad die?
Money makes the world go round, the world go round. Money makes the world go round, than clinking, clanking sound. Money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money!
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:10 PM   #48
Konata Izumi
Commander

Business.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 04:42 AM   #49
The Wormhole
Admiral

So dumb. I saw The Hobbit in 3D (had free passes) and it was very distracting, and made things look flat. Why won't this fad die?
In addition to the fact that people are paying to see movies in 3D (therefore legitimizing its existence) 3D also makes bootlegging damn near impossible. You smuggle a camcorder into a theatre to record a 3D movie, it's going to end up looking like a mess.

If you don't like 3D all you can do is go see the 2D option of movies, provided your theatre has one. It's what I do. And when the theatre doesn't, I go to a different one that does.
Old February 14 2013, 05:48 PM   #50
Saul
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
In addition to the fact that people are paying to see movies in 3D (therefore legitimizing its existence) 3D also makes bootlegging damn near impossible. You smuggle a camcorder into a theatre to record a 3D movie, it's going to end up looking like a mess.

If you don't like 3D all you can do is go see the 2D option of movies, provided your theatre has one. It's what I do. And when the theatre doesn't, I go to a different one that does.
A lot don't depending on the area. You have no choice but to pay more for an effect you didn't want.
Old February 15 2013, 01:17 AM   #51
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

^^
Then just go to the movies less. I used to go weekly, but it's gotten so expensive that I only go a few times a year now. If you genuinely don't like 3D, then spend your money on something you like better. And you don't have to wait long for a new movie to come out on home video, either.
Old February 15 2013, 02:18 AM   #52
Saul
Rear Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
^^
Then just go to the movies less. I used to go weekly, but it's gotten so expensive that I only go a few times a year now. If you genuinely don't like 3D, then spend your money on something you like better. And you don't have to wait long for a new movie to come out on home video, either.
I love movies. I love the cinema experience. Why should I stop going because of 3D? I'm just pissy that I don't have the choice to watch the film in 2D. Why should people who get motion sick or who wear glasses and find 3D difficult be forced to stay at home because they can no longer access that.
Old February 15 2013, 05:36 AM   #53
Psion
Commodore

Saul wrote: View Post
^^
I love movies. I love the cinema experience. Why should I stop going because of 3D? I'm just pissy that I don't have the choice to watch the film in 2D. Why should people who get motion sick or who wear glasses and find 3D difficult be forced to stay at home because they can no longer access that.
Because the home experience is now just as good, you don't have to wait very long, it's a helluva lot cheaper, and the movie theaters aren't giving you what you want.
Old February 15 2013, 09:11 AM   #54
Konata Izumi
Commander

Sound systems are expensive and will piss off neighbors.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 09:52 PM   #55
StCoop
Commodore

So, costume designer Howard Burden (if you have any of the Red Dwarf DVDs you'll have seen him in the Extras) was giving a talk on 'Designing For Science Fiction' today and mentioned that despite production starting in a month he hadn't been able to start work on the Anniversary Special's costumes yet as the script still isn't finished.

Good old Moffat, never changes!

Last edited by StCoop; February 20 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old February 21 2013, 02:02 AM   #56
Iamnotspock
Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
Good old Moffat, never changes!
So he's tinkering with it until the last possible second, knowing the weight of expectation and taking due care and attention to make it as good as it can possibly be? Knowing that fandom will be quick to jump down his throat if it comes across as rushed and half-baked?

Good old fans, never happy!
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 05:28 AM   #57
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
So he's tinkering with it until the last possible second, knowing the weight of expectation and taking due care and attention to make it as good as it can possibly be? Knowing that fandom will be quick to jump down his throat if it comes across as rushed and half-baked?
Moffat could complete a draft for production use while still tinkering with the details. Instead, while he may be perfecting the script, the rest of the production is going to come across as rushed and half-baked.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:00 PM   #58
Psion
Commodore

This isn't a movie, folks, it's a TV episode, and they have nine more months before it airs. That's plenty of time.
Old February 21 2013, 11:19 PM   #59
ATimson
Rear Admiral

This isn't a movie, folks, it's a TV episode, and they have nine more months before it airs. That's plenty of time.
Nine months until it airs, but only one month until it goes in front of cameras (which is the more important date here).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:35 PM   #60
StCoop
Commodore

If they were planing a live episode, sure.

But if the Costume Designer can't do his work a month before it starts shooting, then it's likely that sets aren't being designed, locations scouted, casting taking place etc.