RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 386
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 14 2013, 02:24 AM   #136
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: Sword of Damocles -- comments & opinions ****SPOILERS*****

Oy...FIVE YEARs?

Next time, start a new thread on the topic.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 02:35 AM   #137
Christopher
Writer

^What's wrong with using a pre-existing thread anyway? I never understood that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 09:48 AM   #138
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Indeed - starting a new thread only serves to forget all the existing discussion that has already taken place in this one. I would have thought you'd want to avoid cluttering the boards up with more than one thread on the same subject.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:03 AM   #139
Spocky8492
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually I hesitated between opening a new topic or using an old one. I said "an old one" because there are already a few topics about Sword of Damocles and I chose the bigger one, in order to try to group the reviews. I thought it was better for me to use the old one, because my 2 cents opinion on Sword of Damocles alone in a topic is maybe not very intersting. I don't want to open a debate, particularly here, as it's not the good topic. What is sure is that I have the same concern for other books. I finished Last Full Measure and The Good That Men Do and I don't know if I have to open a new topic each time I want to give my opinion about a book. And because currently I'm mostly reading books published around 2007-2008 I will have the same concern each time. What do you prefer, moderators? To open a topic to discuss this subject or it isn't open to debate and in this case just tell me what you prefer, new topic or old topic and I will do as you say. I'm new on this board, so I absolutely don't want to create problem.
Spocky8492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 04:02 PM   #140
Christopher
Writer

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Indeed - starting a new thread only serves to forget all the existing discussion that has already taken place in this one.
Exactly what I was thinking. Why should interesting and informative conversations from the past be buried away and forgotten? It's good to unearth old discussions from time to time.

Old February 14 2013, 06:12 PM   #141
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Indeed - starting a new thread only serves to forget all the existing discussion that has already taken place in this one. I would have thought you'd want to avoid cluttering the boards up with more than one thread on the same subject.

Do you really think after five years that anyone would have remembered the existing discussion?

Old February 14 2013, 06:47 PM   #142
Christopher
Writer

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Do you really think after five years that anyone would have remembered the existing discussion?
That's exactly my point. Reviving old threads lets them be remembered rather than vanishing into obscurity.

Old February 15 2013, 03:20 AM   #143
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

And I submit that if no one has seen fit to comment in a thread for five years, it's dead, Jim.

Old February 15 2013, 03:26 AM   #144
Christopher
Writer

And I submit that if no one has seen fit to comment in a thread for five years, it's dead, Jim.
But as we've just seen here, sometimes new people come along and want to restart the conversation. And other new members who've joined in the interim might find it worth their while to read the old posts in that thread and might learn something from it. If you ran a library, would you throw away books that hadn't been checked out in five years?

Old February 15 2013, 12:07 PM   #145
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Oy...FIVE YEARs?

Next time, start a new thread on the topic.
Trek BBS, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Trek Literature forum. It's five-year mission...
Old February 16 2013, 12:09 AM   #146
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
If you ran a library, would you throw away books that hadn't been checked out in five years?
Sadly, that's exactly what happens. Out with the old, in with the new. It's not like libraries can suddenly add new sets of shelves every few years.

As for reviving old threads, I've also never really understood why it's so awful to revive them. The search facility never seems to be 100% successful (I find Googling turns up TrekBBS threads faster) and it is sometimes very frustrating for regulars to have to recreate old replies to old questions asked anew. But then, I guess if we were moderators we'd see the frustrations that come with old threads?

Last edited by Therin of Andor; February 16 2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: apostrophe
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 01:27 AM   #147
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Christopher wrote: View Post
If you ran a library, would you throw away books that hadn't been checked out in five years?
That's not really a valid comparison. Books have much more long-term value (and some genres more than others) than posts on an online messageboard. As much as I love this place, it's just not in the same category as a good library.

Again - the policy is to not revive dead threads and double that for ones that are so ancient. Unless there is a very compelling reason to use an old thread, don't do it.

Old February 16 2013, 11:34 AM   #148
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Again - the policy is to not revive dead threads and double that for ones that are so ancient. Unless there is a very compelling reason to use an old thread, don't do it.
From another thread in Q,S&F talking about revving old threads:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
As others have said, it's no big deal, as long as you're adding something substantial. Some people will complain regardless, but it's best to ignore that and keep contributing.
Maybe it would be helpful if the admins (and mods, as I have seen different mods handle such things differently, too) here had a common approach to this issue. As it is some "officials" say it's a total no-no, some handle it case-by-case, and some are pretty much for it.

Since you're the head-honcho here I guess what you said here is the "law", but not every mod/admin seem to enforce it.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:28 PM   #149
vorador33
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dont really see the problem in using an old thread to talk about a book, whats the point in even keeping them on the site if you cant use them. I just recently finished this book. I really enjoyed it, it was a bit slow to get going but once it did it was great. I really liked the descriptions of the insect aliens civilisation.
vorador33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 02:34 PM   #150
Christopher
Writer

^Right. I can see the "no old threads" policy making sense in something like the Miscellaneous forum or something socially oriented, but this is a forum specifically about books. People are constantly picking up old Trek books for the first time and coming here to talk about them and read what others have had to say on them. So Trek Lit is a forum where it's possible, even likely, for threads of any age to be resurrected and contributed to substantively after being dormant for years. Hence my library analogy.