Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Web Sites/Design

Web Sites/Design Talk about your websites here!

Old January 4 2013, 07:34 PM   #16
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: Photobucket beta gripe

I've prettymuch stopped using photobucket. imgur.com is a lot easier to use
Old January 21 2013, 12:44 AM   #17
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

I finally decided to make the switch. Beta's uploading is just too buggy for me.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 03:24 AM   #18
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Well, I switched over to Beta, just to get used to it, because we all know it's not going back, and while it's functional, it is quite buggy, and there are more steps involved in a simple upload and share, which is silly.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:19 AM   #19
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

If they'd fix some of the uploading bugs, I wouldn't mind it as much.

Old January 22 2013, 05:22 AM   #20
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, I'm trying to tough it out, but when I know that just on the other side of that "go back" button is a somewhat simpler, better system, it's difficult not to drop the whole beta thing. Still, whether I like it or not, beta will stay and become the full fledged system. I might as well get used to it.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old February 13 2013, 03:57 PM   #21
B.J.
Rear Admiral

So, I noticed last night that you can no longer link to newly uploaded images that are larger than 1024 pixels. There used to be a setting where you could either have it resize a large image or keep the large image as long as it was less than 1Mb, but no longer. Apparently the large image is still there for the uploader, but you can't link to it.

This is a deal breaker for me. Anyone know what other options there are, and their limitations?
Old February 13 2013, 07:04 PM   #22
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

B.J. wrote: View Post
So, I noticed last night that you can no longer link to newly uploaded images that are larger than 1024 pixels. There used to be a setting where you could either have it resize a large image or keep the large image as long as it was less than 1Mb, but no longer. Apparently the large image is still there for the uploader, but you can't link to it.

This is a deal breaker for me. Anyone know what other options there are, and their limitations?
I switched over to ImageShack.us last week, where you can have it automatically resize before you upload. The bandwidth and storage are also unlimited, whereas PhotoBucket has once again cut their storage and bandwidth allowances.

The only limitation I see on ImageShack is that once you upload a picture, you can't really edit it there. Otherwise, ImageShack is leaps and bounds beyond Photobucket.
Old February 13 2013, 07:18 PM   #23
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I'm having a problem now that's just manifested itself, where people's Photobucket pictures are getting .html appended to the URL. Apparently no one else is suffering from this problem.

For example, if I enter http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/t...0660/bread.png into the URL field in the latest version Opera, it changes into http://s596.beta.photobucket.com/use...bread.png.html and throws me onto an album page.

On the other hand, if I enter http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/t...0660/bread.png into the URL field in IE8, I can see the picture fine. Photobucket is not a trusted site in IE.

I can see my own Photobucket pictures fine in either browser.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the beta debacle, and/or privacy settings on my Photobucket account.

I've made every effort to clear all site preferences for Photobucket out of Opera, but that still doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?
Old February 13 2013, 07:44 PM   #24
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ I noticed that too. I think they're trying to force you to see the pics on their webpage instead of just the pic by itself.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I switched over to ImageShack.us last week, where you can have it automatically resize before you upload.
I'm not looking to resize, I want to keep the large image. Is that possible?
Old February 13 2013, 07:50 PM   #25
smiki
Captain

I'll recommend imgur. It also has unlimited bandwidth and storage and you can also edit the images before and after they've been uploaded.
The images won't get deleted if they've been accessed at least once in six months. And this is all with a free account. You can also upload without an account too. The limit for image size is 1 MB (5 with paid account) I believe (which means reeally high res jpgs are allowed, they don't get resized... if you try uploading a non-animated image from 1-10 MB it gets compressed and/or resized to fit under 1 MB). And also the images themselves are up even when the site itself is down.

For (free) larger gifs or something like that (several MB) there's minus.com

Edit: They've changed the image deletion time to 3 months now though.

Last edited by smiki; February 13 2013 at 08:17 PM.
smiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 01:29 AM   #26
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Didn't ImageShack used to be more strict on their storage requirements? I seem to recall they were the first online host I tried, and I got locked out of my account when I accidentally exceeded my storage at the time. But that was some years ago so I could be wrong.

Old February 14 2013, 02:59 AM   #27
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

B.J. wrote: View Post
^ I noticed that too. I think they're trying to force you to see the pics on their webpage instead of just the pic by itself.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I switched over to ImageShack.us last week, where you can have it automatically resize before you upload.
I'm not looking to resize, I want to keep the large image. Is that possible?
Oh, yes. You don't have to resize at all. It will take an image up to 10MB in size if you're registered.

smiki wrote: View Post
I'll recommend imgur. It also has unlimited bandwidth and storage and you can also edit the images before and after they've been uploaded.
The images won't get deleted if they've been accessed at least once in six months. And this is all with a free account. You can also upload without an account too. The limit for image size is 1 MB (5 with paid account) I believe (which means reeally high res jpgs are allowed, they don't get resized... if you try uploading a non-animated image from 1-10 MB it gets compressed and/or resized to fit under 1 MB). And also the images themselves are up even when the site itself is down.

For (free) larger gifs or something like that (several MB) there's minus.com

Edit: They've changed the image deletion time to 3 months now though.
Yep, I've got Imgur as a backup.

Unicron wrote: View Post
Didn't ImageShack used to be more strict on their storage requirements? I seem to recall they were the first online host I tried, and I got locked out of my account when I accidentally exceeded my storage at the time. But that was some years ago so I could be wrong.
I checked the terms of service just to be sure, but yes, Image Shack is unlimited bandwidth and storage space.
Old February 15 2013, 12:35 AM   #28
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'm having a problem now that's just manifested itself, where people's Photobucket pictures are getting .html appended to the URL. Apparently no one else is suffering from this problem.
I'm getting that too, with Opera 12.14. Haven't tried it with a spoofed User-Agent, though.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 01:35 AM   #29
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Geckothan wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'm getting that too, with Opera 12.14. Haven't tried it with a spoofed User-Agent, though.
There are threads on the Opera forum about it. It appears to be a real problem with Opera. Users report having submitted bug reports, both to Opera and to Photobucket, although Photobucket doesn't officially support Opera. I've tried everything I can think of that I can tweak in the preferences, whether site-specific or global, including scripting, plug-ins, redirection, referral, browser ID. Nothing has worked.

Opera's upgrading their render engine soon, so an important upgrade is coming soon, if not a major one. Maybe it'll get fixed then.

I'm not happy!
Old February 15 2013, 06:03 PM   #30
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

It must be a pretty bizarre bug, then, because I can't think what could possibly cause something like that to happen.

It wasn't unheard of for certain sites to fuck over users of certain browsers, at least a few years ago, and Photobucket seem like pricks, so I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that.

It annoys me when sites cripple themselves on certain browsers for absolutely no good reason (e.g. YouTube not using HTML5 for all videos with Opera on *nix, even though it can support any format/codec that YouTube can serve, if GStreamer and FFmpeg are installed).

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote