Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 13 2013, 05:07 PM   #46
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Re: Klingon augment virus/Into Darkness Klingons

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
What I am more concerned about are Klingons with piercings!
Why concerned?
I don't really like the idea ... but maybe it won't look as silly as it sounds. Anyway ... Romulans with tattoos, Klingons with piercings ... what's next? Bolians with mohawks?
Actually, there were some early concept designs for Nero & the Romulans that had them with piercings. They didn't look that great.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:11 PM   #47
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Ovation wrote: View Post
I didn't ever feel the need for an explanation, but I didn't mind the one they came up with in Enterprise. However, just as viruses don't usually infect an entire population, I would expect A) that smooth and ridged headed Klingons are around in this period and B) that there are enough of each that the absence of either is no big deal. This is really a tiny point over which to quibble.
Agreed.
Old February 13 2013, 05:31 PM   #48
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Why concerned?
I'm more concerned with the pic of the loony with the pierced ANKLES floating around Facebook a few weeks ago. Holy shit that looked painful. To say nothing of Prince Alberts.

Klingon forehead piercings are tame in comparison to what the people of Earth are doing.
Old February 13 2013, 05:36 PM   #49
Oso Blanco
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Klingon forehead piercings are tame in comparison to what the people of Earth are doing.
That much is true!
Old February 13 2013, 05:36 PM   #50
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Why concerned?
I'm more concerned with the pic of the loony with the pierced ANKLES floating around Facebook a few weeks ago. Holy shit that looked painful. To say nothing of Prince Alberts.

I'm not familiar with the pierced ankles pic but the Prince Albert stuff ...
Unless "Klingon forehead ridges piercings" does not refer to the upper head.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:51 PM   #51
F. King Daniel
Admiral

"upper head"
Old February 13 2013, 07:58 PM   #52
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Why concerned?

I'm not familiar with the pierced ankles pic but the Prince Albert stuff ...
Unless "Klingon forehead ridges piercings" does not refer to the upper head.
Another reason why the males of a species (any species), need to take a moment to remember that there is never enough blood in the body to accommodate rational thinking, by both 'heads' at the same time.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 02:38 AM   #53
Lance
Commodore

I agree with all those who say the 'forehead issue' has been blown out of all proportion over the years. IMO it's clear that the TOS Klingons may not have had ridges, and the 'new' TMP look was a retcon, yes. But it was one which we were all obviously supposed to apply retroactively (ie, that was what Klingons 'always' looked like). The comment in "Trials And Tribbilations" was clearly a joke. It was the production team poking fun at the fact that they obviously had to confront why Worf's makeup and that of the 'original' Klingons in the archive footage look so different. It speaks volumes that while the DS9 team were apparently tempted to follow up on it, they ultimately decided it was a narrative dead-end and just dropped the entire subject.

Enterprise obviously had a bet each way. Their explanation was very clever, but ultimately I would hope that the makers of "Into Darkness" are smart enough to imply the augment virus (perhaps through use of un-ridged background Klingons) without making it a plot point. After all, why shouldn't Klingons have ridged and un-ridged? Adds a bit of diversity to their overall look.
Lance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 07:58 AM   #54
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
After all, why shouldn't Klingons have ridged and un-ridged?
Or even ruffled.

I, for one, thought that the explanation in Enterprise was brilliant. Had "Trials and Tribble-ations" never acknowledged that the Klingons didn't resemble Worf, I would have accepted (perhaps a bit grudgingly ) that the Klingons always had ridges, even though I know the full story of how the original makeup came about. (*) But since they did hang a lampshade on it, Enterprise's explanation works well.

(* - For those who don't know, the story, as I read it, was that nobody had really put any thought into what Klingons should look like. So John Colicos and Fred Phillips chatted about it when Colicos showed up for his first day of shooting on "Errand of Mercy," and together they came up with the Genghis Khan look.)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 02:53 PM   #55
marksound
Fleet Captain

You know, in Trials they could have ignored the difference between Worf and the other Klingons and I would have been fine with it. I might never have noticed.

Whoever said all Klingons had to look alike is a big fat racist and his mother smelled like elderberries.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 11:47 PM   #56
los2188
Commander

I'm assuming that these pictures are legitimate. It would appear that Abrams Klingons do have ridges somewhat.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/wp-content...-Harlow-21.jpg

[Effing HUMUNGOUS hotlinked picture converted to link. Images posted inline must be hosted on your own webspace or image-sharing account, and not leeched from a site belonging to someone else. They should also be of dimensions appropriate to the forum page; filesize for a still image should be well under 1 Mb. - M']

Last edited by M'Sharak; February 16 2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Effing HUMUNGOUS hotlinked image
los2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 11:47 PM   #57
los2188
Commander

I'm so sorry that that picture is so large!
Old February 15 2013, 11:53 PM   #58
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Those are makups from the 2009 movie. They are incomplete, since the actor wouldn't have been seen unmasked only the exposed bits were done.
Old February 16 2013, 12:57 AM   #59
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

los2188 wrote: View Post
I'm so sorry that that picture is so large!
It's not only gigantic in dimension, but the 8.5 Mb filesize is killing the page-load time. Way, way too big.

Also hotlinked, so I'm converting it to a link. What you need to do when you post pictures as inline images is make sure they're hosted on your own image-sharing account (most of these are free and also include basic image editors to resize, crop, etc.)

If you don't have an image-sharing account or don't wish to host the image, post a link to a page which contains that image.

[Edit:] Like this:
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/exclu...el-harlow-2-3/

Note the October 2009 date.

Last edited by M'Sharak; February 16 2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: link added
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 11:37 AM   #60
Mirror Sulu
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Canon or not, they're still part of Trek lore. Think of it like a writer of a new Batman movie not just watching prior Batman movies, but reading lots of old Batman comics too. To see the different ways the character and setting have been interpreted over the years. It's the same thing with Trek.
This is the way I like to view all of the different ALT-timelines in Trek, like DC's Multi-verse. To go off topic for a second, the plot of Turtles Forever, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 25th anniversary cartoon, presented all of the different takes on the Turtles (live action movies, Anime, 80's cartoon, 2003 cartoon, graphic novels, CGI movie, etc, etc) as ALL canon, but canon from varying dimensions. Thats definately an interesting thing to consider for Trek also.
Mirror Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote