Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 13 2013, 02:06 AM   #256
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Looks like we will have a Christmas special

From Radio Times:

'To dispel any rumours of doubt, (Radio Times) sources confirm that after filming of the anniversary, they'll (production team) will be girding themselves for a Christmas special, then SERIES EIGHT and beyond.'
Old February 13 2013, 07:30 AM   #257
Konata Izumi
Commander

Hope it's How the Daleks Stole Christmas.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 04:15 PM   #258
Lonemagpie
Writer

The timing of that means series 8 (or 8a if it's still split, though there's no reason for that ATM) would be starting at Easter 2014

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:21 PM   #259
StCoop
Commodore

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The timing of that means series 8 (or 8a if it's still split, though there's no reason for that ATM) would be starting at Easter 2014
It is very vague and interesting that the BBC could officially announce 2014 series for a bunch of other shows this week but not DW.

I really do suspect now that they're waiting on Matt Smith to sign a contract for another full series (or not) before they decide exactly what they're going to do.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:28 PM   #260
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
It is very vague and interesting that the BBC could officially announce 2014 series for a bunch of other shows this week but not DW.

I really do suspect now that they're waiting on Matt Smith to sign a contract for another full series (or not) before they decide exactly what they're going to do.
No surprise there, S7 is Matt Smith's 3rd Series, so, it wouldn't be a surprise at all, if his tenure is nearing it's end. I'd love to see him stay longer, but, not many have stayed beyond 3 Series (Hartnell just a bit over 3, Pertwee 6 and Tom Baker 7, and then Tennant did the Specials after 3 Series)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:44 PM   #261
Starkers
Admiral

Be nice to get a fourth series out of Matt before he moves on to other things, and I do think he should move on, however much I like him as the Doctor. Tom proved you could stay in the role too damn long (though Peter Davison proved you could jump too early as well...)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:44 PM   #262
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

There's another possibility.

They may see no need to announce a 2014 series for Doctor Who at this point when they still have a series to broadcast for 2013. Yes, the hardcore fan will want to know what's coming up a year from now, but the casual viewer would only be confused by announcements about Doctor Who a year-plus out.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 05:49 PM   #263
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Yes, the hardcore fan will want to know what's coming up a year from now, but the casual viewer would only be confused by announcements about Doctor Who a year-plus out.
That's pretty damn insulting.

Plus they've announced new series of Call The Midwife & Death In Paradise before their current series have finished. You're not suggesting their audience is more intelligent than the average Doctor Who viewer?
Old February 13 2013, 06:13 PM   #264
Lonemagpie
Writer

Yes, the hardcore fan will want to know what's coming up a year from now, but the casual viewer would only be confused by announcements about Doctor Who a year-plus out.

Plus they've announced new series of Call The Midwife & Death In Paradise before their current series have finished. You're not suggesting their audience is more intelligent than the average Doctor Who viewer?
It's all about linking stuff in people's minds- Death In Paradise, Call The Midwife and Ripper Street are all airing now, so announcing their renewals makes sense. DW returns at Easter, so I'd expect an April announcement of season 8 - i.e. while new episodes are airing.

Old February 13 2013, 06:14 PM   #265
Lonemagpie
Writer

As for Smith, personally I'd like a mid-season regeneration...

Old February 13 2013, 06:17 PM   #266
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

"Before their current Series is finished" is kinda different from "2 months before the current Series has even started"

Yes, it is Too much information for the average viewer to be hearing about next year, when this year hasn't even started yet.

8 episodes Series 7B April - 8 weeks after premiere
Anniversary Special
Anniversary DocuDramatization
Christmas Special

That's quite a bit of information for the average viewer to hold onto/keep track of. They don't build their life around the program, or tick off days on the calendar waiting for it, they're just happy to tune in to it when it comes around

Old February 13 2013, 06:22 PM   #267
StCoop
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yes, it is Too much information for the average viewer to be hearing about next year, when this year hasn't even started yet.
How on Earth did people cope in 2005 when they knew what would be happening in 2007 and 2008 when they know what would be happening in 2010?
Old February 13 2013, 06:30 PM   #268
Starkers
Admiral

As for Smith, personally I'd like a mid-season regeneration...
Hmm, that would certainly make a change, but I'm not sure of the logistics of it all, I suppose if all the first half of the season episodes are in the same shooting blocks then its feasible.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:38 PM   #269
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

How on Earth did people cope in 2005 when they knew what would be happening in 2007 and 2008 when they know what would be happening in 2010?
Say what?

No one is saying it does them any kind of damage. It's simply not something that's important enough for them to spend the brain power keeping track of it, so, therefore, it's a waste of time and time and resources to be announcing it, when it's not going to benefit them, because the general audience won't retain the information.

Old February 13 2013, 07:18 PM   #270
Lonemagpie
Writer

Say what?

No one is saying it does them any kind of damage. It's simply not something that's important enough for them to spend the brain power keeping track of it, so, therefore, it's a waste of time and time and resources to be announcing it, when it's not going to benefit them, because the general audience won't retain the information.
It's just makes more sense from the POV of making people go "ooh" to announce while a show is airing and in the audience's attention field that that show will be back next year. It's basically how it's done for, you know, everything else...