Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 13 2013, 07:01 AM   #16
tighr
Commodore

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Random story of the day... During the 2011 lockout, Vince Young -- who apparently had squandered most of his money already -- took out a $300,000 loan so he could throw himself a birthday party.
Dummy.

I thought the NFL conducted rookie symposiums telling them to save their money.
Old February 13 2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

tighr wrote: View Post
Random story of the day... During the 2011 lockout, Vince Young -- who apparently had squandered most of his money already -- took out a $300,000 loan so he could throw himself a birthday party.
Dummy.

I thought the NFL conducted rookie symposiums telling them to save their money.
You are correct; each summer, just prior to (or right after the beginning of) training camp, the NFL holds a rookie symposium. It's optional, unfortunately, so attendance isn't high. The biggest session of each symposium is "SAVE YOUR FUCKING MONEY."

Unfortunately, people who hit each other in the head on a regular basis tend to not be the smartest people on the face of the planet.
Old February 13 2013, 08:41 AM   #18
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, people who hit each other in the head on a regular basis tend to not be the smartest people on the face of the planet.
It's not even about that, watch the ESPN documentary 30for30 "Broke" if you can. Baseball- and Basketball-players have the same issues.
Old February 13 2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Aragorn
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
It's not even about that, watch the ESPN documentary 30for30 "Broke" if you can. Baseball- and Basketball-players have the same issues.
10 kids with 8 different women, mooching friends and family members, investing in something stupid because you want to be the next George Foreman or Magic Johnson, putting friends in charge of your money who have no money management skills, that cash disappears fast. Though I still don't understand how players with $100 million contracts can go broke.
Old February 14 2013, 12:28 PM   #20
chrisspringob
Commodore

Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nTSQAmNHTo

Old February 14 2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Johnny Knox has 'retired.'
Old February 14 2013, 08:13 PM   #22
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Well, he did kind of get snapped in half and need his spine fused back together.
Old February 15 2013, 03:11 AM   #23
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Johnny Knox has 'retired.'
This shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone who's seen the hit--it's easily among the nastiest, most cringe-inducing things I've ever seen.
Old February 15 2013, 05:40 PM   #24
Use of Time
Commodore

Romo's extension has been somewhat of a buzz this week. I would be leary of going past three years with him. I wouldn't mind seeing a QB drafted if possible. I've got my eye on a guy like Ryan Nassib from Syracuse as someone that the Cowboys might be able to steal in the second round. Mek Kiper has zero QB's going in the first round as of right now. I think we all know that isn't going to be the case. I think Mike Glennon's stock is getting better everyday from what I hear and he could possibly go earlier than expected along with Geno Smith.
Old February 16 2013, 03:37 AM   #25
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

So I saw on ESPN that the Colts are releasing Dwight Freeny and Austin Collie. The Packers have let go of Charles Woodson as well.

Should be a fun off-season!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 16 2013, 03:51 AM   #26
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Garak wrote: View Post
St Louis snatched Titus Young off of waivers, wow.

Everyone gets a 2nd chance in this league I guess.
That didn't last long.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 16 2013, 07:42 AM   #27
chrisspringob
Commodore

There seems to be something of a game of chicken going on with regard to potential quarterback trades. Everyone seems to agree that this is a weak draft class for quarterbacks, and the only legitimate 1st rounder is Geno Smith. (Though probably one or two others will go in the first round, because there are so many QB-needy teams.) Additionally, there aren't many great options in free agency this year.

Two quarterbacks who could potentially at least compete for a starting job somewhere, if their current teams either trade or release them, are Alex Smith and Matt Flynn. Both SF and Seattle respectively sound willing to trade if they get the right offer. Or possibly even cut Smith or Flynn if they can't get anything for them, simply because it doesn't make much financial sense to be paying someone starting QB money if they're firmly entrenched in the backup role. It seems like most of their potential trade partners are playing hard to get though, acting as if they're not that interested, in the hopes that the players will just be cut, and they can sign them without giving up any draft picks.

Or at least, it might be an act. I'm not sure. I mean, can the new Jaguars coach really think this highly of Blaine Gabbert, even though he's been awful?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...ood-in-gabbert

Another issue is that one of the QB-neediest teams is Arizona, which is in the same division as both SF and Seattle, and neither team is likely to want to trade a QB to their division rival. That may be why Arizona may instead sign Drew Stanton, and use him as insurance if Kevin Kolb doesn't work out:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...zona-cardinals
Old February 16 2013, 07:07 PM   #28
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Two quarterbacks who could potentially at least compete for a starting job somewhere, if their current teams either trade or release them, are Alex Smith and Matt Flynn. Both SF and Seattle respectively sound willing to trade if they get the right offer. Or possibly even cut Smith or Flynn if they can't get anything for them, simply because it doesn't make much financial sense to be paying someone starting QB money if they're firmly entrenched in the backup role. It seems like most of their potential trade partners are playing hard to get though, acting as if they're not that interested, in the hopes that the players will just be cut, and they can sign them without giving up any draft picks.
San Francisco isn't getting any traction on trading Smith because everyone with a functional brain knows that it's incredibly unlikely that they're going to pay his $1 million roster bonus in March, and that there's no way in hell he's going to be on the roster come April 1, when his 2013 salary becomes guaranteed.

I don't think Flynn's going anywhere, yet. Russell Wilson had a spectacular rookie season, far better than anyone could have expected, but the Seahawks can't put all their chips on him, yet. There's no guarantee he won't have a brutal sophomore slump. After next season, if Wilson rocks the house again, then yeah, I can see Flynn on the trade market.
Old February 17 2013, 02:36 AM   #29
chrisspringob
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
San Francisco isn't getting any traction on trading Smith because everyone with a functional brain knows that it's incredibly unlikely that they're going to pay his $1 million roster bonus in March, and that there's no way in hell he's going to be on the roster come April 1, when his 2013 salary becomes guaranteed.
Right, but if they're going to cut him anyway, then they'd presumably be willing to do a trade for virtually nothing. So if there's more than one team interested in him, then one of those teams can simply offer SF some very low draft pick to take him off their hands, and scoop him up before he hits the open market. OTOH, if only one team wants him, then that doesn't work. They're better off waiting SF out.

I don't think Flynn's going anywhere, yet. Russell Wilson had a spectacular rookie season, far better than anyone could have expected, but the Seahawks can't put all their chips on him, yet. There's no guarantee he won't have a brutal sophomore slump. After next season, if Wilson rocks the house again, then yeah, I can see Flynn on the trade market.
Seattle has sounded very open to trading Flynn, ever since their playoff loss, and their offseason began:

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2013...his-offseason/

The latest rumor is the Jets: http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle...81474981849728
but it's still really early.
Old February 17 2013, 03:31 AM   #30
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Right, but if they're going to cut him anyway, then they'd presumably be willing to do a trade for virtually nothing. So if there's more than one team interested in him, then one of those teams can simply offer SF some very low draft pick to take him off their hands, and scoop him up before he hits the open market. OTOH, if only one team wants him, then that doesn't work. They're better off waiting SF out.
Well, that's the other reason that no one's trading for Smith -- no one wants to give up even low-end assets to take on that contract, which is pretty heavily backloaded. It just isn't going to happen. The quarterback market may be thin this offseason, but I don't think teams are going to get moronic for Alex Smith.
Closed Thread