Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 12 2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Speaking of Edith. Did the casting crew go back in time and pluck an actress from 1914 to play Edith?

They really got the look down.

auntiehill wrote: View Post

And, please, Maggie Smith doing what she does best--steal scenes left and right. I love her.
"Grandma was right"

"Can someone write that down?"
Samurai8472 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:08 AM   #17
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Stuff like the Charles Ponzi reference I got.
That line was great! My immediate thought was, "No wonder you lost the entire family fortune on lousy railroad investments."
Me too. I laughed out loud when I heard him say that and turned to my husband and said, "Did you hear that? Charles Ponzi! What a dunderhead!"

Also Team Edith. Bored with Mary. She's not very nice anyhow.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:22 AM   #18
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And I'm female, the target market for this show. I can only imagine how straight males would react, probably give them hives.
I'm a straight male, and I love it. It's soppy and stupid and hits the romantic buttons pretty hard.

Also, I love an underdog, so I'm Team Edith.
Another straight male Downton fan here. It's soapy, but it's historical soapy with a lot of awesome performances (I especially love watching Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton butt heads).
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:40 AM   #19
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The Dowager Countess has some GREAT scenes:
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 02:45 AM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Count me on Team Edith as well. I was pissed off when Lord Grantham torpedoed her marriage. Edith must take after the Granthams though, since her sisters look like their mother. ( Some good casting there.)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 03:02 AM   #21
Gov Kodos
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I didn't care much for it at first, but later, really enjoyed how the storylines mirror a little of what was going on historically and frankly, what REALLY hooked me was the cast of characters. I love all the subtle intrigue both among the servants and the family, the tiny details in what is said and what isn't said.

And, please, Maggie Smith doing what she does best--steal scenes left and right. I love her.

I am COMPLETELY Team Edith. I know what it's like to be the "ugly sister" so I completely sympathize with her.
Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLaine squaring off had some hysterical moments. Edith is a great character, whom I hope will grow to see what a harpy Mary is.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 06:47 AM   #22
propita
Rear Admiral

I'm 50 and love it. My husband teared up with Sybil. I didn't. What is up with that? I did feel....don't want to spoil.

Loving the show. And Sybbie? That is is super cute!

"Lies" is such an unmusical word. --Violet Crawley (The Dowager Countess)
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 07:53 PM   #23
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I was sucked in by the actor's performance.

Maggie Smith is gold, per the usual.

I also love Mrs Patmore and Mrs. Hughes. Hughes line to Carson about not worshipping them had me on the floor.

It is soapy, but the actors sell it, from devious Thomas to sweet Sybil.
Old February 12 2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I only started watching last month, and I can't explain why I love this show so much, but I just do. It has some flaws, but there is something about it that just completely draws me in. We streamed season 1 on Netflix, and just received the 1st disk of season 2. We're also recording season 3 so we can catch up. I'm trying to stay spoiler free, but that isn't working out so well.
Old February 12 2013, 08:40 PM   #25
RoJoHen
Awesome

Soap operas have a way of sucking you in. Downton Abbey was tricky about it, though. You don't even realize you're watching a soap opera until halfway through the first season, and by then it's too late.
Old February 12 2013, 11:42 PM   #26
J.T.B.
Commodore

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Edith is a great character, whom I hope will grow to see what a harpy Mary is.
She's certainly more fun to watch than Mary; Laura Carmichael tells volumes with her face while Michelle Dockery has about three expressions: arch, self-satisfied and cross. Edith did pull a nasty trick on her sister in S1, though. Of the sisters, Sybil is the only one I'd rank alongside Anna or Mrs. Hughes.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Soap operas have a way of sucking you in. Downton Abbey was tricky about it, though. You don't even realize you're watching a soap opera until halfway through the first season, and by then it's too late.
Pretty much my experience, yep.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 12:51 AM   #27
Garak
You Eat What You Kill

The show is just good fun, I enjoy watching it.

Team Isis.
Old February 13 2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Garak wrote: View Post
The show is just good fun, I enjoy watching it.

Team Isis.
Everyone is team Isis.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Edith is a great character, whom I hope will grow to see what a harpy Mary is.
She's certainly more fun to watch than Mary; Laura Carmichael tells volumes with her face while Michelle Dockery has about three expressions: arch, self-satisfied and cross. Edith did pull a nasty trick on her sister in S1, though. Of the sisters, Sybil is the only one I'd rank alongside Anna or Mrs. Hughes.
I know people who say they can never, ever root for Edith because she wrote the Turkish ambassador about how poor Kemal died.

The things I point out -- That was seven years ago (in the chronology of the series), Edith was 19 at the time, and 19 year-olds do rash, immature things for pointless reasons. That's not to excuse her behavior, just to point out that we've all done rash and stupid things when we were 19 that years later we wish we hadn't.

For me, the difference between Mary and Edith can be summed up in two scenes from this season:

On Edith's wedding day, Mary offers a one day truce in their hostilities. (Which, to be frank, don't seem particularly hostile any more.) Edith accepts the one day truce.

On the day Sybil dies, Edith offers Mary a permanent cessation of hostilities. Mary rejects it outright.

Edith is flawed. She's not the dutiful elder child, nor is she the rebellious younger child. She doesn't have a role in the family. She's not quite sure what her role in life is. She often behaves as if she were starved for affection. But she also recognizes that she's done mean and horrible things -- and she wants to stop doing them.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 03:42 PM   #30
J.T.B.
Commodore

^ Sure, I like Edith and root for her. I just like Anna, Mrs Hughes, Mrs Patmore, Sybil, Daisy and Isobel better.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote