Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 12 2013, 11:50 PM   #31
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Your job...

Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
I like my job too. I'm a software developer. We're using some great technology and tools. It's a challenge but isn't overly stressful. No overtime required, and my co-workers are for the most part wonderful to work with. I couldn't really ask for a better job. It's what I love to do, and I can't think of a job I'd prefer more.
What company do you work for? Do they need any business analysts or quality assurance engineers?
Old February 13 2013, 02:15 AM   #32
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I like my job too. I'm a software developer. We're using some great technology and tools. It's a challenge but isn't overly stressful. No overtime required, and my co-workers are for the most part wonderful to work with. I couldn't really ask for a better job. It's what I love to do, and I can't think of a job I'd prefer more.
What company do you work for? Do they need any business analysts or quality assurance engineers?
I believe mine does. PM me!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 02:27 PM   #33
Ood Sigma
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
We are hiring QA engineers... just sent you a PM with some of the details.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 07:34 PM   #34
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

I really love my (main) job.

Largely because I was able to identify a niche within my field (medicine, psychiatry to be specific) that lets me pretty much pick & choose when I work, pays very well in terms of an equivalent hourly rate, and most of all because I get to do what I think I do best, and certainly what I enjoy doing the most.

Stripping away the jargon, I get to go into unusual/interesting (and occasionally tense/dangerous) situations, engage with people to build a swift rapport, figure out what I need to know to contain the situation & get the answers I need, and have to formulate a decisive & safe plan with colleagues, and communicate outcomes effectively. I get to interface with a massive cross-section of the general public, various emergency services and sometimes the legal profession, and it's always intriguing because of the mental agility/flexibiilty required.

Perhaps most crucially to my enjoyment, I then get to pass on the nitty-gritty of actually implementing the plan to someone else and don't need to deal with the long-term caseloads and mountains of bureaucracy that my more typically-employed colleagues do.

It's not a job for everyone, though. Some colleagues prefer working with clients over a longer period of time, or want more predictable hours and a steady salary instead of self-employment. They find what I do precarious, inconvenient or just plain unsatisfying. The funny thing is, I would hate to do their job; I'd find it frustrating, tiresome, dull, inefficient and overly time-consuming. That's part of the reason I left that career path a couple of years ago and struck out on my own. And without false modesty, I don't believe many of my more mainstream colleagues could do what I do as well (read: efficiently/effectively) as me. Some of that is practice, some is innate aptitude for the role. Certainly, for my mindset/skillset, it's absolutely perfect.

I think the above all highlights the vital importance of identifying what you as an individual do best at, and pursuing that and not going down routes that don't play to your personal strengths & likes. And keep your eyes open for niches you can move into that better utilise them.

I have a few side interests which have also developed into minor income streams over the years, with potential to develop them further. I do generally enjoy them too, but not as much as my main job.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 09:27 PM   #35
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

I'm an administrative assistant at a local family run wholesale bakery and I love it (most of the time). We're in the process of updating our compter ordering / invoicing system at the moment, which is fun and games but it's actually not too bad. I can have a good laugh with the other staff, including the three directors.

I'm currently studying with the Open University but my degree is in early days. Don't know what it may lead to though.
Old February 14 2013, 01:00 AM   #36
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

I am an infographic designer for a national newspaper in the UK. Around 2million people a day look at my work in the paper and more on our very popular web site on in kindle and now on iPad. If I make a mistake complaints flood in so you have be as careful as possible.
Daily newspapers are exiting, scarey and sometimes funny places to work.
You go into work without knowing exactly what you will be doing that day. There are people who are a pain to work with but the job really gets your brain working. Almost every job/ graphic I do is started and finished on the same day including research. I even sometimes get to use my own photographs in my work.
I am now ready to become more freelance as I am set up with the full range of Adobe software.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 02:58 AM   #37
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

Holdfast: Wow

Just wow.
Old February 14 2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Garrett
Vice Admiral

I really love my job.

I'm a build engineer for a team of about 40 engineers developing embedded firmware. Most of my job has been implementing a fully automated continuous integration system, including providing our dayly and weekly. We're almost there, but still have some hiccups. I also sometimes play Git guru.

We're always learning, which is a lot of fun. As is the day to day problem solving in implementing new processes or fixes to those already existing. Personally, it's also been great for forcing me to come out of my shell. There's a lot of internal and partner customer support that goes with the job. Plus presentations and that sort of thing.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 12:26 PM   #39
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Currently, i'm unemployed - but last week I started tafe, as i'm studying it (networking). I'm yet to decide where I could work, but learning new things like Linux and Cisco is great.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 12:49 PM   #40
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Garrett wrote: View Post
I really love my job.

I'm a build engineer for a team of about 40 engineers developing embedded firmware. Most of my job has been implementing a fully automated continuous integration system, including providing our dayly and weekly. We're almost there, but still have some hiccups. I also sometimes play Git guru.

We're always learning, which is a lot of fun. As is the day to day problem solving in implementing new processes or fixes to those already existing. Personally, it's also been great for forcing me to come out of my shell. There's a lot of internal and partner customer support that goes with the job. Plus presentations and that sort of thing.
That sounds a lot like my job. PM me if you want to compare notes sometime. I've learned a lot in the process of setting up my current workplace with continuous integration and git source control. Been doing the whole tools/process improvement thing for about 10 years now.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 06:31 PM   #41
mari
Captain

I love my current job at a college IT department. I was here 2 months and got promoted and a nice raise, and mostly what I do is play online. Technically I'm a web editor, with a touch of helping out with help desk. We have a horrible CMS so that's a nice mental challenge most days. Coworkers are great, supervisors are mostly absent (we're outsourced) and nobody minds if I'm using company resources to work on my wedding plans. A zillion times better than retail, which is what I was doing previously, and even better than legal secretary, which was the job before that.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:23 PM   #42
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Please tell me you said the immortal praise "Hello IT, have you tried turning off and on again?"
Old February 14 2013, 11:29 PM   #43
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

Child Abuse Investigation Team Detective.

Sadly, keeps me busy.

Hugo - no silly sign off today
Old February 15 2013, 02:37 PM   #44
Bumbles861
Admiral

Army - 35 years and still going strong. I f---ing love it and do not look forward to the day when I'll have to retire.
Bumbles861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 04:02 PM   #45
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
Please tell me you said the immortal praise "Hello IT, have you tried turning off and on again?"
As I mentioned, while my position is primarily research, writing, and editing, I sometimes end up doing other things. One day, I had to offer tech support in case people had trouble signing onto a webinar -- we're a publishing house so we have reps all around the country, and many of them are older folks. I'm not an IT person at all but I know my way around a computer fairly well.

Well, this lovely old gentleman called me up because he couldn't get onto the Webinar. Getting him on was a bit of an ordeal. Somewhere around the 30 minute mark I asked him, "Can you just tell me everything you have open on your desktop right now?" and he said, "Well...the only thing on my desktop right now is my computer."

Awwwwwww.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote