Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 12 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Do you believe there is someone for every person?

As it gets closer to Valentine's Day, also known as Singles Awareness Day, I've been waxing philosophical (read: grumbling to myself) about the idea that there is someone for every person, that somewhere in this world is at least one person who would love to know you, and be with you, that you would make their lives whole.

I've generally made the joke that knowing my luck, my special someone lives in China, away from all known modern communications.

Still, I think that statistically speaking, someone on this planet will share your interests and appreciate you for who you are.

Anyway, what do you think?

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Do you believe there is someone for every person?

Unless you're some kind of psychopathic murderer rapist, there is someone out there for you. Sometimes they're hard to spot, and if you're not paying attention, they will probably pass you by.
Old February 12 2013, 08:54 PM   #3
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Oh, my dear! You are far too rational for that!

And before teacake ninja's me:

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Ood Sigma
Commander

I think the problem is in assuming that there's only one person who you are truly compatible with. I think we romanticize the notion of a "soul mate". It may be difficult for people who have trouble expressing their feelings to others, but I think if you are serious about finding someone, anyone should be able to. Just don't limit yourself and wonder if he/she's "the one" and pass up a good thing in search of some nebulous "something better".
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Unless you're some kind of psychopathic murderer rapist, there is someone out there for you. Sometimes they're hard to spot, and if you're not paying attention, they will probably pass you by.
I have to agree,so long as your looking for Love it will show itself to you.
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:07 PM   #6
EmoBorg
Captain

I don't believe in that. You are born alone in this world and you die alone in this world. The only person you can trust 100% is you yourself.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Actually, statistically speaking, there is someone out there for a psychopathic murderer rapist. We've seen the end results, but yes. Also, that's a bit grim, isn't it?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Oh, my dear! You are far too rational for that!

And before teacake ninja's me:
I have an undying love of Tim Minchin.
I do think in terms of rationality, but as I say, I am a romantic, and so there are romanticisms that make little logical sense that I like to entertain.

Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
I think the problem is in assuming that there's only one person who you are truly compatible with. I think we romanticize the notion of a "soul mate". It may be difficult for people who have trouble expressing their feelings to others, but I think if you are serious about finding someone, anyone should be able to. Just don't limit yourself and wonder if he/she's "the one" and pass up a good thing in search of some nebulous "something better".
Oh, certainly. In my initial post I make certain to say that there is at least one other person, and I allow for the chance that there are many, many more.

Old February 12 2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

No.
Old February 12 2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

There is no destined mate. I don't buy that for a second.

There are enough potential mates for most people to find someone to spend a good portion of their lives with.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:14 PM   #10
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Bigjoe wrote: View Post
I have to agree,so long as your looking for Love it will show itself to you.
I do agree that actively looking for someone "compatible" dramatically increases one's chances of finding a significant other (or others).

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I don't believe in that. You are born alone in this world and you die alone in this world. The only person you can trust 100% is you yourself.
Well, yeah. Might as well try to find companionship in the interim.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
No.
Are you sure?

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
There is no destined mate. I don't buy that for a second.

There are enough potential mates for most people to find someone to spend a good portion of their lives with.
Oh, I'm not talking pre-destination. I put that in the same category as "soul mate", by which it is a very strongly romantic notion, but even for a romantic such as myself it's just a little too much.

I'm looking more along the lines of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". That there is someone (or someones) out there that will find you beautiful/attractive/someone worth knowing and loving.

Old February 12 2013, 09:33 PM   #11
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Lots of people could be potential mates for each other---however, people are often not willing to compromise; they expect perfection right off the bat and that simply doesn't happen.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

No, House even wrote a song about it:

Old February 12 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Kestra
Vice Admiral

It's a weird way to frame it. There are different things at work. Is there someone who will find you attractive? Is there someone out there who will find you compatible for a long term relationship? And implied in these is that you reciprocate. It doesn't do you any good if someone is attracted to you if you aren't attracted to them, for example.

In terms of relationships, my views are obviously changing now. I mean, I know I can find someone who wants to be with me in the short term. But can I find someone who I am compatible with who is also mature and would make a dedicated long term partner? That gets into personality traits that you need for long term relationships independent of personal compatibility issues.

With so many people in the world, yes, there is probably someone out there who would be into you (general you). But like you said, it doesn't do you any good if they are on the other side of the world. So instead, we do things to increase our chances of compatibility. You work on making yourself more attractive to a wide range of people instead of a select few. You learn to be flexible and compromise in a relationship because no one will ever complement you exactly.

You can't go looking for someone to make your life whole. I've been on the receiving end of that and it's way too much pressure. Learn to be a whole person and attach your life to another's because you want to, not because you need to.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Kestra wrote: View Post
It's a weird way to frame it. There are different things at work. Is there someone who will find you attractive? Is there someone out there who will find you compatible for a long term relationship? And implied in these is that you reciprocate. It doesn't do you any good if someone is attracted to you if you aren't attracted to them, for example.

In terms of relationships, my views are obviously changing now. I mean, I know I can find someone who wants to be with me in the short term. But can I find someone who I am compatible with who is also mature and would make a dedicated long term partner? That gets into personality traits that you need for long term relationships independent of personal compatibility issues.

With so many people in the world, yes, there is probably someone out there who would be into you (general you). But like you said, it doesn't do you any good if they are on the other side of the world. So instead, we do things to increase our chances of compatibility. You work on making yourself more attractive to a wide range of people instead of a select few. You learn to be flexible and compromise in a relationship because no one will ever complement you exactly.

You can't go looking for someone to make your life whole. I've been on the receiving end of that and it's way too much pressure. Learn to be a whole person and attach your life to another's because you want to, not because you need to.
Great post.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 09:50 PM   #15
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

If there is only one person for you out there, you're in big big trouble (WARNING: link is too nerdy and too serious for the topic in question). I sincerely hope there is much more than one person for every person.